• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Things Girls Do That Aren't Very "Girly"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I've done my fair share of things that are considered "feminine"; figure skating, ballet, ballroom dancing...all of these in my younger days. I've also been a bit of a "jock", if you will; fast pitch softball, volleyball, gymkhana (I love horses!)

But I'm also interested in things that are usually associated with the guys; I love cars and I watch Top Gear. Hockey, baseball, soccer...yes, I follow them. Not religiously, but I understand the games. I'm not afraid of guns and actually enjoy the firing range once in a while, but then you can't spend 7 years in the Army and be afraid of them.

I was quite a tomboy growing up, much to my mother's chagrin. I was one of those girls who played in the mud, collected bugs and snakes and climbed trees. My dad taught me to throw a ball and all about airplanes (which I also love) and got me interested in technology.

Anyway...I now that I can't possibly be the only girl who likes things that aren't so "girly." Anybody else like this?

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Yes! Though I played in school, I don't like sports. ( I did play some softball at 30) But I love woodworking, using power tools, carving wood, gardening and bug hunting with my grandboys when they were little. As a kid I climbed trees, play at construction sites, fished and rode bikes. I loved to race at the rollerskating rink! I learned to Knife throw and use a slingshot. Hubby taught me to use his 357 and rifle..which came in handy when I took my police training. We moved back to Tampa before I could go on the Cheyenne Police force ..I was next to be hired!
All these things build bones..I don't have osteoporosis at 60.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Did Gymnastics as a small girl. Got bigger and it was softball !! 10 th grade the auto shop teacher would not let me in the class...(couldn't do that these days !).
Tae Kwon Do....great shot ! I can lay bricks and frame and pour concrete ! LOL !! (and I can solder !!!)

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Mary Kay, I think I'd feel safe around you! The knife throwing blows my mind......very cool. I've always enjoyed participating in sports. I ran cross country in high school and college, also played field hockey. I'm still a serious runner. (I know, and I smoked.... but sometimes not for a few months at a time!). I love doing just about anything outside. I'm married, but I do all the "guy" stuff; lubricate the garage door, replace locks and faucets, remove stinking dead raccoon from under shrubbery, etc. Hey, I learned a lot of it from the internet and just reading directions!!

I rarely, however, fail to put mascara on in the morning.

Safira

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Plainfield,IL
Wow, you ladies are cool. I never really played sports but I love to watch hockey, I also can do some work on a car and know my way around. I like to play music but prefer instruments that aren't so girly. I like to play with the boys but only because I want to see what kind of guitars you have or have you teach me a few things on your drum kit, and it ends there. I also am not afraid to dig out the tools and fix things myself, if he can do it why can't I.

honuhart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2009
cincinnati ohio
Love the power tools, saws, laying patio bricks, but my most favorite is playing with cement. It started one year while i was repairing a rock wall, next thing i knew i am building things, molding things, freehanding things out of cement. Then got into hypertufa, which is a lightweight mixture using cement. I know this recipe better than anything in my kitchen. Can't wait till summer so i can burn all my fingers up playing in this stuff. lol

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I think Mom would have loved to have a little girl. She told my husband once that she was scared to empty my pockets when she washed clothes. I would always have a frog, snake, or bug in my pocket. As an adult, I'm still the same way, I just don't put them in my pocket anymore. My husband will get mad at me for picking up a rattle snake, putting it in a bucket, and driving down the road to turn it loose. I'm just that way. This past summer, I helped my husband put a motor in my old PU truck. It was fun and I learned how to rebuild an engine (the old one is good as new now).

Babsb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2009
Northern Wisconsin
I didnt do much when I was a kid.but Im making up for it now =) I run a chainsaw, drove a logging truck, own my own skidder, I hunt (own 5 of my own guns including a black powder) fish, camp (old fashion way and not at campgrounds) and learning how to trap. I LOVE to go mudding..be it in my jeep or on my 4-wheeler! I like the 'big boy toys" lol I can plum, wire, built a porch. As well as picking/drying healing/helpful herbs, garden, love snakes, bugs? no big deal. Yet I can come home and whip up the most delicious home cooked meal on my wood-cook stove that would melt anyone's taste buds =) My husband doesnt seem to mind, hes right there besides me. My kids think Im 'da bomb' even if I am already a grandma..lol Gotta be ready for that grand-babies when they come to visit. Reminds me, I have to make them some more candy...love sending them home sticky and wound up..paybacks! lol

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I'm not into 'girly' stuff at all (I hate to shop). I don't think cooking is a girly thing- but don't do that either. if i can't do stuff myself then i find and deal with the people who can get whatever-it-is done. I do like to dig holes and put plants in them, have done my own yard work for years now (Chainsaws ARE fun aren't they Babsb :) ). I can soldier and deal with simple electronic circuits.

Cee_Jay

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2010
Rochester NY
You girls might like this :)

Letter from Bootcamp

Dear Ma and Pa,

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Army beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad - there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on 'route marches,' which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A 'route march' is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next part will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole' bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6' and 130 pounds and he's 6'8' and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,

Alice.

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
I can't say I've ever been a girly girl....ever. I play volleyball and even though I get told that I hit like a guy (on the guys net) I don't really think that counts :)

I fix computers for a living, so crawling around on the floor and carrying heavy stuff is the norm. I once had a coworker ask me if I needed them to remove a 21 inch crt for me and I just looked at him like he was nuts. I love mosh pits at concerts, and one of my favorite jobs was cutting through drywall (hard hat required) so that I could run a video camera from one room to another down the hall (across a 15 foot ceiling). Nails have never been an issue especially since I never have any :) , makeup is a special occasion kind of thing or a mood thing. I dress how I'm comfortable (jeans and a t-shirt or sporty clothes because I'm always playing vball).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread