Status
Not open for further replies.

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
My family's doctor, mid to late 60's, had a huge overflowing ashtray on his desk, along with about three dozen brown glass jars filled with pills. I do remember him giving an exam with a cig in his hand. But...he was a great doctor. Also made house calls (anyone who doesn't remember "party lines" doesn't remember house calls). Used to come to our house, do his doctor business, and then sit with my Dad and listen to albums on the new stereo. Really miss those days!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
ETA: Oh, and I remember buying cigs for my mother when I was like 8 and the nice man saying it was okay because they were for my mother. She didn't have her makeup on and she felt all a mess or whatever so she sent me along out on my bike across town for them with a couple quarters in my pocket to pay for them plus a quarter to buy myself a treat...this probably happened two or three times.

+1

I remember my dad would send me up for a pack of camels, a bottle of orange juice and a bottle of vodka. the guy at the liquor store used to say, here ya go Billy, say hi to your dad for me. i think a pack was like 60 cents or so. at this time you also paid more for 100's because they had more TOB in them lol

back then we would cut grass for money. pumping gas into a gal plastic milk jug lol

I remember the doctor who gave me stitches having to put his cigarette out on his desk

Anyone else remember military C Rations with the little mini packs of smokes in them?

Wow, I remember my dad showing me something like that. He had been in the Army. I was fascinated with it. He also used to roll up all his shirts and underwear teeny-tiny in his drawers and he said it was a habit from the military.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I remember picking up cartons for $2.15 at the PX in Italy. When I was 14 years old...

We had a smoking area at the high schools I went to in the States.

Anyone else remember military C Rations with the little mini packs of smokes in them?
Good deal... when I started, they were $3.39 for a carton of Camel straights... which when I quit, were just shy of $100 a carton.

Over 45 years of Camel straights.
facepalm.gif

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I remember picking up cartons for $2.15 at the PX in Italy. When I was 14 years old...

We had a smoking area at the high schools I went to in the States.

I remember when they gave you those mini packs on the airplane meal tray. I think I was about 7 first time they gave me one. I was playing with them so the stewardess brought me a couple more.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
I remember always going to the store next to our house to get my parents their cigs. I was about 14 when they started enforcing the age limit and my mother worked at a convenience store at the time. She had plenty of ticked off parents that had to get outta the car cause she couldn't sell the cigs to their kids that came in to get it for them.

I kinda wish they would have enforced the rule where I lived and I probably wouldn't have started smoking but there were always some stores that would sell them to you.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I remember having a note from my mom so I could buy her cigs for her.
I remember smoking everywhere, malls, stores, in the hospital room after having my kids and anywhere on the plane, not just the back of the plane. (Smoking anywhere on the plane was when I was little)
Buying my cigs in the checkout isle of the grocery store.
$.50 a pack when I started buying my own cigs and gas was cheaper than a pack of cigs. $10.00 would fill the tank, easily.
:facepalm: I'm getting old....

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
It's a shame too. Slow erosion of our rights and individuality. Soon you won't see salt on the shelves anymore. The only thing you will be able to buy is a pre-approved government list of chemicals that resemble something that was once food. Well maybe that is going to far. :)

Or we will be like Demolition Man.. Taco Bell's everywhere.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
"K Rations" had the cigs, a little 5 or 6 pack.. I wasn't in then, but my dad had a few cases from "'Nam".
Going to the bowling alley and using a couple of quarters for "my" smokes (that cut into my pinball money.. let me tell you!!).
My highschool had a smoking section for everyone, plus seniors could smoke in the "seniors lounge", or just anywhere outside was free game.
Always making sure I had a back seat on the planes when I was traveling.
The last time I few on a plane, when I left, I had a free pass on the "inspection" using my mil ID, coming back, even that was no longer possible and I also spent the whole 2 hour layover trying to get outside so I could smoke...

HDVaper

Ultra Super Senior Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
www.oktom.com
I also remember no age restrictions for purchase, or of there was they were not enforced.

Back in the '50's I used to go to the Crown Drug Store and pick up cigs for my Mom when I was 10 or 11 for 26¢ a pack!! Never got turned away.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
"K Rations" had the cigs, a little 5 or 6 pack.. I wasn't in then, but my dad had a few cases from "'Nam".
Going to the bowling alley and using a couple of quarters for "my" smokes (that cut into my pinball money.. let me tell you!!).
My highschool had a smoking section for everyone, plus seniors could smoke in the "seniors lounge", or just anywhere outside was free game.

Yep. K Rations included the smokes. My favorite was the S.O.S. that came in the dinner pack.

Today's MRE's are an order of magnitude better, but no longer include smokes. Just don't eat the grape jelly unless you're close to a latrine.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I ran up to the store on my bike all the time. It was about a 10-15 minute ride on the bike. I always biked off the main roads (which no longer is the case), and only crossed major roads. I could carry a lot of groceries in my backpack...

As to the smokes. I could buy them legally when I was 16. I started smoking them at that age.

Ah, 1987, what a year it was. I think they were a bit under a buck. Maybe 90 cents...

Robin, you are getting old, but you are still hot! So shrug it off, baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread