Think I'm Allergic -- Back to Analogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Been at it the vaping thing for close to two weeks now. Saturday I started having some chest pains, so I went to a local clinic to get checked out. They took a chest x-ray and drew blood for a CBC and other routine tests. Doc said the chest x-ray showed some inflammation of the lungs, and she wanted to rule out pneumonia and Legionairre's disease (we've had a few cases of it locally). She gave me an antibiotic shot, told me to come back in a few days, and sent me on my way.

So I went back today to get my blood test results and everything came back fine. I am negative for pneumonia and everything else that was tested for. She said my lungs sounded good, my cardiac function was good and I am basically in good shape.

So I come home and begin vaping. And wham, here comes those chest pains again. Not only that but my eyes become really bloodshot (doctor noticed that the other day when I went in). So, after a few minutes of vaping, I have to go lie down. My chest feels "tight" and it hurts all the way to my back. It really sucks. It takes a couple of hours, but eventually the inflammed feeling goes away and my eyes return to being white.

I get my juice from my local vape shop. He told me he does 30/70 PG/VG mix. I have no idea if I am allergic to the PG, the VG or the food flavorings and I don't really feel like experimenting to find out. I guess I am one of the unlucky 5% who is allergic to vaping.

Oh well, I tried, but it's back to analogs for me.

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
Sounds like you have an allergy to Propylene Glycol, its actually quite common. Before you go back to the analogs, I highly recommend you give it one more shot, but stick to 100% Vegetable Glycerin. I would also recommend trying another vape shop or order online. My wife has a PG allergy and will get similar symptoms as you, as well as red blotches on her chest and face.

She vapes 100% VG from VapingUSA.com and has never had any issues since.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
When I first started vaping I got horrible itchy rashes on my legs and generally bad feeling from PG allergy. You can google it, I'm not the only one. The problem is that they put PG in many different products, so when you introduce the levels you take in from vaping it can quickly accumulate in the body, causing sensitivity and allergy issues for some.

I switched to 100% VG and have never looked back. That's my testimonial :2c:

Check out: The safety of vegetable glycerin (VG) when inhaled through an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette). Studies on the effect of the inhalation of vegetable glycerin through a personal vaporizer.
And if you really think it's the flavorings, you can get 100% VG juices from quality vendors who make organic juices, such as Velvet Cloud Vapor, among others.

Hope you find what works for you!

iGl0

Oct 17, 2013
CA, USA
Sorry to hear the bad news... But it seems like you only tried one juice. Sometimes artificial flavorings when vaped can cause irritation. You don't seem to have much PG, which is generally what people are allergic to. If you ever decide to give it a try again, ask for 100% VG and be sure to get it from a reputable vapor shop. Theres not much in these liquids as opposed to 4000+ other chemicals that are combusted in analogs. And if you just recently moved to vaporizing it does take a few weeks for your body to really adjust without analogs (which include phlegm, coughing, and chest pains) This is what we call smokers cessation.

Anyway, sorry about the news, but there are other ways to quit!

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Like others ahve already mentiooned, you may be having an allergic reaction to the PG.
There are many online vendors who sell 100% VG juice.

BTW~ what is your nicotine level you're vaping?

Been at it the vaping thing for close to two weeks now. Saturday I started having some chest pains, so I went to a local clinic to get checked out. They took a chest x-ray and drew blood for a CBC and other routine tests. Doc said the chest x-ray showed some inflammation of the lungs, and she wanted to rule out pneumonia and Legionairre's disease (we've had a few cases of it locally). She gave me an antibiotic shot, told me to come back in a few days, and sent me on my way.

So I went back today to get my blood test results and everything came back fine. I am negative for pneumonia and everything else that was tested for. She said my lungs sounded good, my cardiac function was good and I am basically in good shape.

So I come home and begin vaping. And wham, here comes those chest pains again. Not only that but my eyes become really bloodshot (doctor noticed that the other day when I went in). So, after a few minutes of vaping, I have to go lie down. My chest feels "tight" and it hurts all the way to my back. It really sucks. It takes a couple of hours, but eventually the inflammed feeling goes away and my eyes return to being white.

I get my juice from my local vape shop. He told me he does 30/70 PG/VG mix. I have no idea if I am allergic to the PG, the VG or the food flavorings and I don't really feel like experimenting to find out. I guess I am one of the unlucky 5% who is allergic to vaping.

Oh well, I tried, but it's back to analogs for me.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
It does sound like an allergic reaction and the most common factor in vaping is PG and/or the flavoring. I'd definitely try 100% VG and a different juice before I'd go back to smoking. Well I can honestly say I did exactly that. I am allergic to PG so I have to use it minimally or face the awful allergic reaction. Good luck.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
The OP is using e-liquid that is 30/70 PG/VG. Why are people suggesting to use an even HIGHER percentage of VG?

To the OP....

I'm vaping 4 1/2 years. I have the same heaviness in the chest when I use some 100% VG liquids. My symptoms are not nearly as bad as yours but I do feel it. I wouldn't call it an allergy. My advice is opposite of what I've read in this thread. Try some e-liquids that have little to no VG.

FWIW, I vape 80/20 PG/VG and never experience that heavy chest feeling I get from those rare occasions when I use predominantly VG e-liquid.

Good luck.

Optimo114

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
Jacksonville FL
When I first started vaping I got horrible itchy rashes on my legs and generally bad feeling from PG allergy. You can google it, I'm not the only one. The problem is that they put PG in many different products, so when you introduce the levels you take in from vaping it can quickly accumulate in the body, causing sensitivity and allergy issues for some.

I switched to 100% VG and have never looked back. That's my testimonial :2c:

Check out: The safety of vegetable glycerin (VG) when inhaled through an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette). Studies on the effect of the inhalation of vegetable glycerin through a personal vaporizer.
And if you really think it's the flavorings, you can get 100% VG juices from quality vendors who make organic juices, such as Velvet Cloud Vapor, among others.

Hope you find what works for you!

I can second this. Velvet Cloud is amazing for me. I've tried countless juice and the only vendor I can handle is Velvet Cloud. Alot of vendors say they have 100% VG but their flavor has pg in them. I'm a VcV customer for life. I too have a very bad reaction to pg. Even the slightest amount. I would highly recommend giving them a shot before going back to analogs

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
The OP is using e-liquid that is 30/70 PG/VG. Why are people suggesting to use an even HIGHER percentage of VG?

To the OP....

I'm vaping 4 1/2 years. I have the same heaviness in the chest when I use some 100% VG liquids. My symptoms are not nearly as bad as yours but I do feel it. I wouldn't call it an allergy. My advice is opposite of what I've read in this thread. Try some e-liquids that have little to no VG.

FWIW, I vape 80/20 PG/VG and never experience that heavy chest feeling I get from those rare occasions when I use predominantly VG e-liquid.

Good luck.

Because the OP may be having an allergic reaction to the PG- it doesn't matter the amount is smaller- it's still in there.

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
I know you are new to all this, but don't check out completely yet. As mentioned, you may have that allergy, most vendors use PG for the unflavored nicotine addative, however I found that thru NicVape you can order unflavored nicotine as VG base also. Maybe you can start brewing DIY juices.... or possibly order them brewed to your specifications from NicVape.

Edit: it also goes in the other direction.

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
so yes you may have an allergic reaction to it... most of the "side effects" people report from e-cigs are really side effects from not smoking analogs. when i started vaping the first 2 days went fine the third day my chest hurt really bad and i started coughing up nasty stuff. you spent years smoking im guessing. you did a lot of damage to your lungs in that time that's not going to be repaired in a few days or a week. have been vaping for 478 days and i still get some weird chest pains and cough up nasty stuff once in while. one thing you might try is smoking the e-cig like a cigar. just pull the vapor into your mouth and throat and exhale through your mouth and nose. nicotine is absorbed though any part of your body so you will get a buzz from doing that. i didn't much inhale when i was a new vapor.

when you smoke 4000 and some odd chemicals every day your body becomes used to having them. the damage you did from smoking cigarettes may never be completely repaired. but can tell you that i feel like a million bucks since i stopped smoking analogs.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I too get the same reaction to anything more than 60% VG juices, In my case add a coating/taste in my mouth & throat that is best described as inhaling used motor oil.
For me the chest heaviness/tightness can last from 1/2 a day to several days.

Don't buy liquids from any place that won't disclose what is in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread