Status
Not open for further replies.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Ok I think I have hit a point where I am getting tired of clearos. The biggest reason is the better clearos are all dual coil now and are complete battery hogs. And I don't see that much flavor and vapor in a dual over a single. So the next logical step to try would be a carto tank with a single coil carto. I already know that the IBTanked is the one to have and if I like the carto/tank set-up I will get a few. But I not gonna shell out that much money for a demo run. To me that would be like getting a Nautilus as your first clearo. With that being said I have a few questions...

-Good quality basic and reasonably priced carto tank to test the waters to see if I will like it
-Drip tips. Can any be used or do you have to use specific ones made for the tank
-Cartos. I hear Smoktech, Boge and Ikenvape thrown around all the time. And I imagine the type of juice plays a part in what is the best one to get. Single hole. Dual hole. Slotted. I typically don't use any juices thicker than 40%VG and mostly it is 35% or less. What type and brand of single coil carto would be best for me to use.
-Flanged or not flanged?? Or is it based on the tank that you use.
-Best overall resistance to run

As I said this will be a demo run for me. If it goes good I'll be going IBTanked for sure. Any other words of wisdom from experienced carto tank users would be appreciated. Any questions I didn't ask that I should have???

txcolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Plano, TX
For a decent test rig the Smoktech DCT Pyrex tanks are fairly cheap. I have a couple as backups and they work fine. I am partial to the single coil, two hole, flanged cartos from Smoktech as well. Starting off the flanged cartos are a little easier to work with.

You may also want to get a carto filling tool which you can get at IBtanked. It will keep your Smoktech tank working a bit longer as the o-rings on that tank are not replaceable.

Also, any 510 style drip tip should work fine for you. I buy a pile now and then from fasttech.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
For a decent test rig the Smoktech DCT Pyrex tanks are fairly cheap. I have a couple as backups and they work fine. I am partial to the single coil, two hole, flanged cartos from Smoktech as well. Starting off the flanged cartos are a little easier to work with.

You may also want to get a carto filling tool which you can get at IBtanked. It will keep your Smoktech tank working a bit longer as the o-rings on that tank are not replaceable.

Also, any 510 style drip tip should work fine for you. I buy a pile now and then from fasttech.

So what is the benefit of flanged vs not flanged???

And would you recommend the DCT or the DCT v2???? What about the Boge F16 v2???

txcolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Plano, TX
As far as tanks go I would say which ever is cheapest as you are just testing the waters. I think I ordered mine from Fasttech for something like 5 bucks a piece.

I do like the hand blown tanks that were on one of the sites posted by r77. I am tempted to give one a try at that price.
Hand Blown Borosilicate Glass Dual Coil Vapor Tank

I like the flanged when I started because they don't slip down and leak juice. I did have some non flanged boge's when I started and I made a mess or two.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The key with a good carto tank, from the "tank" standpoint, is it must have good seals. The cheap ones tend to have cheap seals that leak. The good glass ones like Phiniac or IBtanked have good seals. I have been using the same seals on my Phiniac for over a year and never had a leak. They even provide a second set of seals with each tank.

The carto itself is somewhat a matter of preference. I prefer Smok DCC's and IKenvape cartos. I do recommend three-hole punched cartos or add a slot with a Dremel tool. I do not like Boge cartos. I also prefer flanged cartos as you are less likely to accidentally push one out of the tank and cause a mess.

The main advantages to carto-tanks is much less hassle than most clearos, much better consistency and better flavor.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

Smoktech started with the flared Because their tanks slid off easily. I guess Boge now too. I'd think most non high production inexpensive tanks don't need flared cartos.

DCT tanks often come with Dual Coiled cartos installed- thought you didn't want them??? Altho you can put any carto in them.

Boges F series have a slight diameter difference on their cartos that makes matching drip tips and tanks important.

Sometimes it's a good idea to get used to a carto w/o a tank to start.

Baditude has a nice blog on carto-tank use and TheOcelot has a blog on changing carto while in the tank.

Last edited:

Pocha

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member

I have several of the Smok Pyrex DCT V2's and can vouch for their quality. I've tried a couple other "cheap" cartotanks and the V2's were far and away superior. In fact, their only flaw is that they don't have removable end caps so when the o-rings go you cant replace them. With carto tanks o-rings are everything...the tighter the better. The Smok V2's have nice tight o-rings so the tank doesn't slip around or off.

That being said...if you can afford it, it's hard to beat IBTanked tanks. They're beautiful and not as expensive as other "high end" tanks like the Phiniac.

Flanged or non-flanged is a matter of preference. I prefer flanged but but use both depending on availability. For most tanks you can use them interchangeably. And regarding carto brands...I would try a few of each brand and see which ones you prefer. Ikenvape just came out with a whole new line and I think they might still have stock available.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    My recommendation is to not go too cheap with your first cartotank. Too cheap and the tanks can leak due to poor quality o-ring seals and other manufacturing defects. Your first cartotank experience will be tainted because of going too cheap. You get what you pay for.

I strongly recommend spending at least the $30 for the basic IBTanked pyrex tanks.

However, the cheapest tank which I've personally used (and still can recommend) are these from My Vapor Store. Starter tank setup for $22. 510 Pro DCTank Combo Once you find that you like these, you can get just the tank/caps for $8.50 and get your drip tip & cartos elsewhere. Pro DCTank Tube These tanks are made of polypropylene which are safe for all flavors of e-juice and will not crack or melt with Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors. Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Vendor List for Pre-Punched Cartomizers

Brand of cartomizer is a personal choice based on past experience. I suggest trying both Smoktech and Boge since they are readily available at most places and see which you prefer according to your juices used. I personally have had great luck with Ikenvape, but they can often be difficult to find in stock.

Choose low resistance cartos for a fixed voltage battery device, standard or high resistance for a regulated VV device. Most people prefer single coil over dual coil. Two pre-punched holes work for the majority of e-liquids. Just about any 510 drip tip should fit on any cartotank. Be sure to order a cartotank fill tool like the Slap Yo Moma or the refill tool from IBTanked - you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2013
    In the Mist
    My recommendation is to not go too cheap with your first cartotank. Too cheap and the tanks can leak due to poor quality o-ring seals and other manufacturing defects. Your first cartotank experience will be tainted because of going too cheap. You get what you pay for.

I strongly recommend spending at least the $30 for the basic IBTanked pyrex tanks.

However, the cheapest tank which I've personally used (and still can recommend) are these from My Vapor Store. Starter tank setup for $22. 510 Pro DCTank Combo Once you find that you like these, you can get just the tank/caps for $8.50 and get your drip tip & cartos elsewhere. Pro DCTank Tube These tanks are made of polypropylene which are safe for all flavors of e-juice and will not crack or melt with Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors. Something Safe for Cinnamon & Citrus Flavors

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Vendor List for Pre-Punched Cartomizers

Brand of cartomizer is a personal choice based on past experience. I suggest trying both Smoktech and Boge since they are readily available at most places and see which you prefer according to your juices used. I personally have had great luck with Ikenvape, but they can often be difficult to find in stock.

Choose low resistance cartos for a fixed voltage battery device, standard or high resistance for a regulated VV device. Most people prefer single coil over dual coil. Two pre-punched holes work for the majority of e-liquids. Just about any 510 drip tip should fit on any cartotank. Be sure to order a cartotank fill tool like the Slap Yo Moma or the refill tool from IBTanked - you'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the reply B. I've read both of your guides already. Good reading. Apparently if the only good one you can recommend is only around $10 less than an IBT, I might as well just get the best.

I'm gonna give the single coil Kanger, Pro Tank 2 and EVOD a try. If they don't cut it for me I'm throwing in the towel and ordering an IBT.

I was looking at the Ikenvape site and it doesn't look like any are out of stock. Is there a preference on which one is better??

Tap'd from my LG G2

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I was looking at the Ikenvape site and it doesn't look like any are out of stock. Is there a preference on which one is better??
    I've used the 510-Fusion standard resistance and the Platinum standard resistance. I can't say that I can tell a difference between the two other than the Fusions have a flange and the Plats do not. With a tank which has tight fitting o-rings like an IBTanked or Phiniac, you don't need a flange on the carto.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2013
    In the Mist
    I've used the 510-Fusion standard resistance and the Platinum standard resistance. I can't say that I can tell a difference between the two other than the Fusions have a flange and the Plats do not. With a tank which has tight fitting o-rings like an IBTanked or Phiniac, you don't need a flange on the carto.

What about the Nitro???

Garemlin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2013
    In the Mist
    I've not tried any of the Nitro line. They are brand new and only been available for a week or so. I'm not one to jump on new products like some folks are. I tend to wait and see how other people like them first.

I was looking around on the IKV site again. Are the Fusion series not available in 510?? Only saw 801 which require an adapter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread