Thinking of switching to a pod system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
@landlocked It seems Mothers Milk is not available in Nic Salts and I can't see any indication Pip at Suicide Bunny is addressing this. So you may need to use freebase at a higher level if you want to continue with that juice... if you can take the throat hit.

The other option is to consider making it yourself. It is not hard at all! It is a 5 flavor juice and the remix recipe is available at several very trusted ejuice recipe sites for free. The recipes at good sites are reviewed for accuracy to the original by a large amount of regular folks (that aren't shy to bash a bad juice mix), so when you see a 4.5~5star rating with over 100 folks rating it, it is going to be a good recipe. You don't have to reinvent the wheel and you can use nic salts for your mix instead of freebase nic.

All you will need is a $21.00 digital scale from Amazon, Nic Salt, VG, PG (or a premade nic base with these 3 components at your desired nic level), the 5 flavors, a bottle to put it in, and the recipe. It takes me about 10 minutes to mix a 120ml bottle and costs about $5.00 for the mix. It really isn't hard at all, saves a ton of money, and can get to be a quite enjoyable hobby when you get comfortable and start altering juice recipes to fit your needs or creating new recipes from scratch. There are so many good recipes available that some very diligent people have spent a lot of time developing that you will never run out of new things to try without you really needing to do all the hard work yourself trying to develop a good juice.

You've already expanded your mind to include pod systems, give mixing a little more thought. It will also future proof you from the FDA impending vapocolypse if it comes to pass.

Reactions: landlocked

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Awesome, thank you. Another question though... I started off vaping mouth to lung and then when I got the mod I started direct lung. I've read a lot about the salts being mouth to lung. I'm assuming it's because if the high levels of nicotine being ingested. Is that right? I mean, with mouth to lung, you are not inhaling as much as direct lung. I would definitely have to retrain myself.

consumption of ejuice increases as power increases, and so does airflow.

Nicotine salts are designed for lower consumption use, and therefore lower power, due to the higher nicotine levels..

it's the daily nicotine targets your looking at.

right now, your vaping, what did you say 60ml per week of 3mg ejuice? That's just under 26mg of nicotine a day.

so if your vaping 1 - 2 ml per day instead (which is consumption on a pod for most people), using a less effective means of getting nicotine (mtl is considered slightly less effective than DL for nicotine absorption) your nicotine levels will necessarily need to increase somewhat.

technically, you should try somewhere around 15-18 mg of salts to start, and see if you need to go up or down from there.

You can always dilute your salts, by buying the same flavor in zero and using an online ejuice calculator to figure out how much zero you would need to add.

Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've been using an iStick Pico for several years. I vape either 1.5 or 3mg nic but the problem is, I go through an absurd amount of liquid because I chain vape. I probably go through a 60 ml bottle in a little over a week, which gets expensive. I was thinking that a pod system with salts might be a better option for me. I don't really like the big clouds that the mod produces, I want something more discreet, and I would like to limit my vaping without losing the satisfaction (meaning getting the same result from fewer puffs, if possible) to avoid chain vaping. I have tried higher nic levels but it is more irritating to my lungs and from what I've read, the salts are smoother and less irritating.

I'm just looking for some input from you seasoned pod users. Is nic salt supposedly as "safe" as regular liquid? I mean, as safe as can be reasonably claimed since all of this is relatively new? I know that no liquid or vaping can guarantee safety, so I'm not delusional about that. I guess I'm just asking is if there is any reason to believe that it is less safe? I will add that I am a seasoned vaper. I switched to vaping from cigs in 2010 and never looked back. I started with the small cig looking batteries with refillable "carts" and then gradually stepped up to the larger aspire pen style, and now the Pico. When I first started vaping I was vaping 24mg and then dropped to 12. Once I got a mod, I dropped significantly due to the increased volume. I would really like to try a low maintenance system and dial back the amount I vape. Thoughts?
My favorite mod is the original Pico with an MTL RDA on top. Recently I have a couple of refillable pod setups which are reserved for backup and stealth situations.

First of all you don't have to choose one or the other. You'll have both. If you don't like what you're spending on juice go DIY. I mixed a 2 month supply this morning, 400 ml, cost of ingredients, one penny per ml. In the Pico setup I use 12mg nic. For the pods I use triple that because vaper production is less and so I take fewer puffs. I find the Pico plus RDA is a superior experience.

If you are chain vaping now that probably won't stop. Pod batteries don't last very long and you have to refill more often with most of of them and sometimes refilling is not easy. I love my little pods but the original Pico reigns supreme.

P.S. I also have a Pico X and like it.

landlocked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Ok, USA
Playing catchup with the latest comments so thanks for the added input. I got to thinking about it and I think I underestimated my consumption. I have a 4ml tank and I refill it more than I realized. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 3-4 times a day... depending on if it's a day I have classes or not. I never really paid much attention to exactly how much I go through, I just know it's a lot. When one 30ml bottle comes in the mail, I immediately order another so it can be on its way. I know, it would make more sense to order more than 1 at a time but I'm a weirdo. I think it's a mental game I play with myself. $25 at a time seems less shocking than shelling out $50.

Thanks for the info on the recipes. It's something I may consider at some point. I didn't figure Suicide Bunny would dive into the salts any time soon. Hopefully, more will get on board. I just don't know if I'm ready to put on the white coat just yet. I'm sure it's less intimidating than it seems in my mind.

I thought about just upping my nic levels for the Pico, but it's just too harsh when I've tried to do that.

I don't plan on ditching the Pico completely unless I just fall head-over-heels with the pod system. I've been looking some more and I think I may want to try the Suorin Drop as well. I'm going to wait to see how I like the Nord first, so I don't end up with 2 devices I hate in case it's not for me. I'm really hoping that's not the case though because my main goals are: vaping less, hopefully reducing the big clouds of smoke, and saving money.

Thanks guys!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Playing catchup with the latest comments so thanks for the added input. I got to thinking about it and I think I underestimated my consumption. I have a 4ml tank and I refill it more than I realized. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 3-4 times a day... depending on if it's a day I have classes or not. I never really paid much attention to exactly how much I go through, I just know it's a lot. When one 30ml bottle comes in the mail, I immediately order another so it can be on its way. I know, it would make more sense to order more than 1 at a time but I'm a weirdo. I think it's a mental game I play with myself. $25 at a time seems less shocking than shelling out $50.

Thanks for the info on the recipes. It's something I may consider at some point. I didn't figure Suicide Bunny would dive into the salts any time soon. Hopefully, more will get on board. I just don't know if I'm ready to put on the white coat just yet. I'm sure it's less intimidating than it seems in my mind.

I thought about just upping my nic levels for the Pico, but it's just too harsh when I've tried to do that.

I don't plan on ditching the Pico completely unless I just fall head-over-heels with the pod system. I've been looking some more and I think I may want to try the Suorin Drop as well. I'm going to wait to see how I like the Nord first, so I don't end up with 2 devices I hate in case it's not for me. I'm really hoping that's not the case though because my main goals are: vaping less, hopefully reducing the big clouds of smoke, and saving money.

Thanks guys!

That's as much as 48mg of ejuice per day..

The 30mg ejuice you purchased may not be strong enough, depending upon your consumption level with the Nord.

So try it, but remember there is still an up you can go if you need.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
My favorite mod is the original Pico with an MTL RDA on top. Recently I have a couple of refillable pod setups which are reserved for backup and stealth situations.

First of all you don't have to choose one or the other. You'll have both. If you don't like what you're spending on juice go DIY. I mixed a 2 month supply this morning, 400 ml, cost of ingredients, one penny per ml. In the Pico setup I use 12mg nic. For the pods I use triple that because vaper production is less and so I take fewer puffs. I find the Pico plus RDA is a superior experience.

If you are chain vaping now that probably won't stop. Pod batteries don't last very long and you have to refill more often with most of of them and sometimes refilling is not easy. I love my little pods but the original Pico reigns supreme.

P.S. I also have a Pico X and like it.
I've been DIY for many years. I suffered a PG Allergy a few years into vaping and the Non PG suppliers were rediculously priced.
I like controlling what goes into my Juice and of course the cost savings are tremendous. Costs around $1.00 to $3.00 per 30ml depending on how aggressively you purchase and what you purchase. Just switched from Free Base to the Salts, I like the milder flavor.

For the Nic and VG I and others on the forum, highly recommend Nicotine River they sell the Salt Base too. Prices aren't the cheapest but quality is high and very reasonable. Unless you like a harsh peppery taste stay away from MFS.

For a backup more stealthy Pod look at the Atopack Magic from joyetech. With a 1300mah Battery and a 7ml liquid reserve it's very good for this purpose. Using a 33mg DIY Nic Salt I like the flavor too.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've been DIY for many years. I suffered a PG Allergy a few years into vaping and the Non PG suppliers were rediculously priced.
I like controlling what goes into my Juice and of course the cost savings are tremendous. Costs around $1.00 to $3.00 per 30ml depending on how aggressively you purchase and what you purchase. Just switched from Free Base to the Salts, I like the milder flavor.

For the Nic and VG I and others on the forum, highly recommend Nicotine River they sell the Salt Base too. Prices aren't the cheapest but quality is high and very reasonable. Unless you like a harsh peppery taste stay away from MFS.

For a backup more stealthy Pod look at the Atopack Magic from joyetech. With a 1300mah Battery and a 7ml liquid reserve it's very good for this purpose. Using a 33mg DIY Nic Salt I like the flavor too.
I'm still vaping the nic I got from MFS. It's fine by me.

For pods I have a Lost Vape Orion, Aspire kit that uses the old Nautilus coils, and a Minifit. The Orion has the best hit and flavor but I rarely carry it because of weight. It is a nice conversation peice. I use the Aspire pod as backup for long walks. My favorite is the minifit because it's tiny, so stealthy I can take a puff almost anywhere. (Walmart is my Area 51.)

landlocked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Ok, USA
All of you are a wealth of information. I appreciate it so much because as I said, even though I've been vaping since 2010, my knowledge is limited about all of it. I may have to check out the DIY suppliers to get an idea of what you are talking about and price some things. Not gonna lie, being able to save that kind of money sounds extremely tempting.

landlocked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Ok, USA
OMG, I just watched a video on YouTube about making liquid. That looks so freaking easy. I also priced the nicotine, PG, and VG too. I'm going to have to give it a shot. This will save me a ton of money. I'm off to watch about nicotine salt recipes and hopefully, those are just as easy. I can totally do this.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
OMG, I just watched a video on YouTube about making liquid. That looks so freaking easy. I also priced the nicotine, PG, and VG too. I'm going to have to give it a shot. This will save me a ton of money. I'm off to watch about nicotine salt recipes and hopefully, those are just as easy. I can totally do this.

That's the spirit! You can totally do this. If I can anyone can. And at this point in my mixing my favorite juices are the ones I make... they just fit my tastes perfectly after all the trial and error I've been through. It will happen for you too. Just don't get discouraged when you make a vile concoction that tastes like dog rockets. Yes, that will happen but take the time to think about what makes it taste so bad when you envisioned a perfect ADV. Make some changes and try again evaluating the differences. That's the only way I know to really become flavor conscious and understand the process better.

Get a digital scale!! This one from Amazon is the one I use and is quite popular with mixers. There are better, but at the low cost this does a great job and will make your mixing sessions really quick and accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGBG20/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of my favorite mixing resource sites is here.
DIY OR DIE Vaping - The Best DIY Eliquid Recipes, Tutorials, Tips, and Videos

Wayne has a lot of good information and shows you how to mix in real-time. He has a lot of youtube vids showing the process. He's likes to talk a lot, but good information.

And of course, use the ECF DIY ejuice forum. Years of knowledge stored there by some very smart folks.

landlocked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Ok, USA
@Jazzman Thanks! I've got a bunch of stuff in my cart at NicRiv. I'm kind of freaking myself out while looking at some of the ingredients though. Like the diketones, acetyl propionyl, and acetoin. I'm reading up on them and some say it's ok in the small quantities used and others say to stay away from it. I'm sure I'm ingesting them now, but it's definitely increasing my awareness as I read up on this stuff. I've got a mix of diketone, AP, and acetoin free flavorings and some that don't specify. I guess this is when you just cross your fingers and pray for the best? Ha! I'm seriously blown away. I've got stuff in my cart to make my regular liquid and nicotine salt versions, and the flavorings to copy Mother's Milk and a Lemon Cake recipe that had really good ratings on e-liquid recipes. It's less than buying 3-30ml bottles. Oh, and that includes bottles with droppers, pipettes, and bottles to store the PG, VG, and nicotine. I've got a digital kitchen scale already, but I'll have to see if it does grams.

** Edited: I just looked and it does display in grams also. Score!

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
@Jazzman Thanks! I've got a bunch of stuff in my cart at NicRiv. I'm kind of freaking myself out while looking at some of the ingredients though. Like the diketones, acetyl propionyl, and acetoin. I'm reading up on them and some say it's ok in the small quantities used and others say to stay away from it. I'm sure I'm ingesting them now, but it's definitely increasing my awareness as I read up on this stuff. I've got a mix of diketone, AP, and acetoin free flavorings and some that don't specify. I guess this is when you just cross your fingers and pray for the best? Ha! I'm seriously blown away. I've got stuff in my cart to make my regular liquid and nicotine salt versions, and the flavorings to copy Mother's Milk and a Lemon Cake recipe that had really good ratings on e-liquid recipes. It's less than buying 3-30ml bottles. Oh, and that includes bottles with droppers, pipettes, and bottles to store the PG, VG, and nicotine. I've got a digital kitchen scale already, but I'll have to see if it does grams.

** Edited: I just looked and it does display in grams also. Score!

Make sure the kitchen scale can do a resolution of hundredth's of a gram (most don't for kitchen use).. thats' 0.00gr for best mixing. You can mix with 0.0gr resolution, but plan on spending the $25.00 in the future for more accurate mixing if it doesn't. But for starting, what you have will be fine regardless of best resolution.

For diketones, I would use what you have already and when you need to reorder look at diketone free replacements. Honestly, nothing compares to the buttery, creamy taste of diacetyl in a non-diketone equivalent but like you I tend to not buy them anymore just out of potential safety even though there is really no hard evidence of harm... just a healthy suspicion. But I have and do use what I have in stock until gone. /Shrugs... maybe not my best move, but there it is.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
@Jazzman I just checked and although it does grams, it doesn't do 1/100th measurements. The ounces does, but not grams. Oh well, I'm off to grab one from Amazon.

You are OK with what you have to start if you want to see if mixing appeals to you. Just watch carefully and stop adding flavoring just as soon as it ticks over the lower number. Like if it's 2.357gr stop as soon as it hits 2.3. Actually stop at 2.2 since many scales take a few seconds to settle, and usually go just a bit higher after settling. Then just add 1 more drop and let settle again. It will be fine in the short term until you fully commit to mixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread