Third-hand vapor .. causes cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This article highlights a new study with potentially devastating implications. If the findings hold up, residue from smoking could trigger cancer through exposure even through the skin, as would happen to infants shuffling along a nicotine-stained carpet.

But electronic cigarettes get two damning paragraphs all their own here.

Co-author James Pankow points out that the results of this study should raise concerns about the purported safety of electronic cigarettes.

"Nicotine, the addictive substance in tobacco smoke, has until now been considered to be non-toxic in the strictest sense of the term," says Kamlesh Asotra of the University of California's Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program, which funded this study. "What we see in this study is that the reactions of residual nicotine with nitrous acid at surface interfaces are a potential cancer hazard, and these results may be just the tip of the iceberg."

Read this and see the noose tightening not only on all public smoking, but on electronic cigarette use in public, as well.

Study reveals new details on the dangers of third-hand smoke

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
a new study with potentially devastating implications.

Right, this finding is devastating. If not necessarily personally, it will be in a political sense. Up to now, there has been not one potential threat to be cited which could possibly be imposed by e-cig users/vapers on bystanders. Remember that legislatures in NJ deemed theater fog (PG) the roots of all evil, to justify their indoors ban. This situation certainly changed with the establishment of a „new potential health hazard“.

Here is the link to the original study, too: PNAS Article published online in advance.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I agree. This is the first concern about public e-smoking being a health hazard -- based on a study, not speculation. You can expect shots to be fired at e-smoking in weeks and months to come based on this.

Except that their theory has all kinds of holes in it when it comes to the electronic cigarette. They determine that the nicotine in cigarette smoke reacts w/ nitrous acid, so therefore the nicotine in vapor must do the same thing. Such an extrapolation of data is weak, mostly due to the myriad of chemicals in cigarette smoke not found in vapor. One or more of these chemicals could serve as an potentiator or a catalyst to the nicotine-nitrous acid reaction. Without that unknown chemical the described reaction can't take place.

Also the statement concerning ecigs has a lot of waffle words, such as "potentially" and "may cause". That weakens the statement even further.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Can anyone explain the nitrous acid part? Sorry to sound dumb, but where is the nitrous acid and how does it react to something?
    From the linked study...

Unvented gas appliances are the main source of nitrous acid indoors. Since most vehicle engines emit some nitrous acid that can infiltrate the passenger compartments, tests were also conducted on surfaces inside the truck of a heavy smoker, including the surface of a stainless steel glove compartment. These measurements also showed substantial levels of TSNAs.

Mister

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2009
    Nanaimo BC Canada
    I've skimmed the original study. I'm not a chemist. I do think that this study's results are of limited concern unless the media gets silly with it. And in that case I hope that some appropriate professionals will jump in to debunk whoever starts making unsupported statements.

It seems that they've found "substantial" levels of two TSNAs being formed from nicotine deposited on various substances from second hand smoke.

First problem: The two TSNAs found are not known carcinogens. One (NNA) is in IARC Group 3 (unknown), the other (NNK) is in IARC Group 2B (suspected.) NNA was found at about five times the level of NNK.

Second problem: The largest formation of these TSNAs resulted from the use of a cellulose substrate as the surface material, and with 95ppbv HONO, though they note elsewhere that "Typical indoor levels are 5–15 ppbv."

Third problem: I don't see a clear description of the final consequences of it all. I.e. how much NNA and NNK would a child rubbing and licking a square meter or two of one of these surfaces actually absorb? (Or any other useful presentation of that critical final finding - how much finally affects a person.)

Fourth problem: The authors set out to analyze something very complicated and interesting and clearly spent a lot of time on this work. Of course they would be inclined to present the results as having significance. Until a capable and unbiased third party presents those results in English I can understand I think the significance is unknown.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    This makes me sick...

And you KNOW that Banzhole is creaming his pretty pink panties right now.
    Watch for him to come out with a bunch of press releases.

One can only hope that a good critical peer review can put this in a perspective that doesn't crush my soul. Because this could be one of the worst things I've heard in a long, long time. This is something the FDA can jump on just when we don't need anything for them to jump on.

I find the whole thing suspicious, but that's because I want and hope it to be.

Drozd

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 7, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I've skimmed the original study. I'm not a chemist. I do think that this study's results are of limited concern unless the media gets silly with it. And in that case I hope that some appropriate professionals will jump in to debunk whoever starts making unsupported statements.

It seems that they've found "substantial" levels of two TSNAs being formed from nicotine deposited on various substances from second hand smoke.

First problem: The two TSNAs found are not known carcinogens. One (NNA) is in IARC Group 3 (unknown), the other (NNK) is in IARC Group 2B (suspected.) NNA was found at about five times the level of NNK.

Second problem: The largest formation of these TSNAs resulted from the use of a cellulose substrate as the surface material, and with 95ppbv HONO, though they note elsewhere that "Typical indoor levels are 5–15 ppbv."

Third problem: I don't see a clear description of the final consequences of it all. I.e. how much NNA and NNK would a child rubbing and licking a square meter or two of one of these surfaces actually absorb? (Or any other useful presentation of that critical final finding - how much finally affects a person.)

Fourth problem: The authors set out to analyze something very complicated and interesting and clearly spent a lot of time on this work. Of course they would be inclined to present the results as having significance. Until a capable and unbiased third party presents those results in English I can understand I think the significance is unknown.

Fifth problem: The source is a lab facility based out of California (where everything causes cancer)...and based at the Super Ultra Liberal Berkley..now mind you I'm not against your standard everyday liberal (in fact I am one)..but BERKLEY?...these tree hugging, granola eatin', birkenstock wearin', hacky sack playin', pachouli stankin' SOBs are just over the top..I mean come on these are the people that gave Timothy Leary a PHD and hired him on as faculty.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Not to worry! Dr. Eissenberg says nicotine delivery from e-cigs is like smoking an unlit cigarette...so no "third-hand" vapor problems! Here's the thread.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    Nicotine delivery system same "as puffing on an unlit cigarette," researcher says
    Virginia Commonwealth University studies "no-smoke tobacco" devices
    FDA has halted imports of the devices as it studies their effect on health

Washington (CNN) -- "Electronic cigarettes" that vaporize nicotine juice to inhale instead of smoke from burning tobacco do not deliver as promised, according to research at Virginia Commonwealth University.

"They are as effective at nicotine delivery as puffing on an unlit cigarette," said Dr. Thomas Eissenberg, at the school's Institute for Drug and Alcohol Studies.

Study: 'Electronic cigarettes' don't deliver - CNN.com

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Let me see if I understand the science. :p

According to FDA, we may get too much nicotine from electronic cigarettes and overdose. According to the UK's MPHA, we won't get enough nicotine, which will spoil our attempts to stop smoking as well as prejudice us against using their much more effective NRT products. And according to the VCU study, we aren't getting any nicotine at all.

Now, according the the Californians, I have second hand smoke lying around everywhere (guess I should get around to doing a little house-cleaning), and I am likely to go out and get a gas furnace to install in my all electric home and get cancer from the ambient nicotine reacting with the Nitrous Acid.

My father smoked. I smoked for 45 years and also had a husband smoking in the same house for 30+ years. I lived in homes with gas furnaces for half my life. Hmmm.... :confused:

Actually, I died of cancer 20 years ago and my ghost is writing this.

:lol:

Does that about cover it?

Mister

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2009
    Nanaimo BC Canada
    Note to self: Do not exhale vapor all day long onto a square meter of cellulite substrate, leave the material beside the gas water heater pilot overnight, and lick the surface clean in the morning. This is a potentially dangerous practice. It may result in consuming as much nitrosamines as are absorbed from a few cigarettes. The most prominent of these nitrosamines may or may not be carcinogenic.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread