• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

This doesn't matter to anyone but me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
but I'm still excited, and how sad is it that I have nowhere to bubble over about it but here? And wasn't that a run-on sentence?

Finally, after two years, I'm completely redoing the master bedroom and bathroom in my house. When I get done, it won't look even a little bit like it did when my ex and I were together. It hasn't been easy, since I'm paying all the bills for two on one income, but I saved a little bit each month and watched my budget and blew it all in the last 30 days. New wood floor to replace the carpet, new paint (in colors that I never would have been able to use before), new furniture, new light fixtures, new lamps, new curtains, new curtain rods. The only thing that will be the same will be (most of) the light switches. I did splurge on one and bought a remote control dimmer switch for the main lighting in there.

I've also found the bright spot to being single again: no committee review cycle to get approval for changes. I found colors I liked and bought them. I found furniture that I almost liked, bought it and took it into the garage to change it to be exactly what I want. I'm doing things the original designer would never have approved, and I don't care. I like it, and that's all I care about.

Today was spent ripping out the old carpet, masking everything off, repairing all the old holes and making the walls perfect again, and getting the main color (Beach, an Eddie Bauer color sold at my local Lowe's). Tomorrow I'll mask off the bathroom and paint the main color in there (Vintage Gray) and get the accent color onto the common wall between the two rooms (Cranberry). The day after that I'll paint the new baseboards and leave them in the garage to dry while I start laying the new floor. I figure shortly after Christmas I'll have given myself the best present - a fresh, new start.
:toast:

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Never (repeat after me), NEVER carpet a bathroom. Please tell me you are NOT carpeting the bathroom.

Too late, the contractor did that 10 years ago when the house was built. It was one of the first things changed - now it's all tile with epoxy-based grout. That's another thing that won't be changing - I couldn't afford it. Besides, I'm the one that laid the tile and designed the mosaic by the shower, so it's basically mine anyway.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Even worse... his parents (whose house we now own and live in) had the kitchen carpeted.... I am NOT a neat/clean cook. Who can make good food without being messy???

I'm guessing this carpet was done sometime in the late 70s/early 80s? I remember when that was popular. Like so much of the 80s, it was regrettable.

[shuddering as I remember a perm I got, back in the bad old 80s]

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
haha so true. sounds like a lot of work but I bet it will look great once you're all done!

So far so good. The bedroom is done, the furniture I wanted to build is all built, and one of the bathroom vanities has been torn apart and rebuilt with new countertop, sink, and faucet.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365519617455.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365519617455.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365519654137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365519654137.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365519677686.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365519677686.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 35

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
wow that looks amazing! come do my house next xD

If you lived a little closer, we could talk, but you're clear out in PA.

I really do enjoy this stuff. Tearing things apart and figuring out how to put it together again in a way that's just a little closer to my ideal. I'm at my best when I'm covered with sweat and either sawdust or grease (I like to work on cars, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread