ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Indiana
apeqy3ab.jpg

This is what the water looked like after boiling my organic cotton

Sorry its on the side

egumaquz.jpg

This is what my plain hot water looks like.

This is obviously far from scientific, and may not be your experience, I was just curious so I thought I would have a look and see for myself.

I boiled the cotton 3 times, 10 minutes each time, then drained through a strainer repeat. I also waited till the water cooled before I took the pic.

I boiled the cotton in a stainless pot and there were about 20 or so cotton balls in there.

My brand of cotton I received today from Amazon, it is Swisspers organic triple size.
The package says contents: certified organic cotton, whitened with hydrogen peroxide.

Until today I have used regular cotton balls, not organic or boiled. I have not tried the new cotton yet its drying. I'll post my results with it after I have used some.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I definitely wouldn't try drinking that water :laugh:

I usually use cotton make-up removal pads, but they are 100% cotton, untreated, unbleached, with no additives. I did boil one the first time I used them and the water was crystal clear afterwards.

Now I just cut a 2mm stip, insert into the coil and vape away. I don't boil them anymore. No cotton taste, just a lovely flavoursome vape :)

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
I keep hearing about sterile cotton and such. Truth is, anything that is labeled "sterile" loses sterility once the package is open.

I don't think people boil to sterilize, but rather to remove any leftover impurities such as bleaching agents or sizing... at least this is the way I view it. I can say that cotton yarn, in particular, benefits from boiling; I've tried it both boiled and unboiled, in the same configuration, and the unboiled yarn definitely had a funky taste from the sizing used during manufacturing.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I keep hearing about sterile cotton and such. Truth is, anything that is labeled "sterile" loses sterility once the package is open.

I don't think people boil to sterilize, but rather to remove any leftover impurities such as bleaching agents or sizing... at least this is the way I view it. I can say that cotton yarn, in particular, benefits from boiling; I've tried it both boiled and unboiled, in the same configuration, and the unboiled yarn definitely had a funky taste from the sizing used during manufacturing.
I had asked a doctor friend what's the best cotton to use. He said USP sterile cotton rolls.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Yes. When I cut it, you can see layers. When I pull it apart, it looks the same as cotton ball fibers.

One person on CVS site said the rolled cotton was lower quality than in the past. Makes me wonder if you got a good roll and I got a bad one. When I run out of boiled cotton balls (2016?) maybe I will check far end of my rolled cotton.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
One person on CVS site said the rolled cotton was lower quality than in the past. Makes me wonder if you got a good roll and I got a bad one. When I run out of boiled cotton balls (2016?) maybe I will check far end of my rolled cotton.
That's always a possibility. Let me know how it turns out in a couple of years from now man :D

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Just dont leave the pot unattended -

Honey have you seen my cotton balls?

No I havent babe, but that soup you made was kind of bland and the dumplings were chewy.

Oh great, way to go.......... Now I've got Coke spewing out my nose, and all over my iPad. Best joke of da day, I assume it's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread