Not open for further replies.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
This man is not smoking a cigarette - he's using an e-cigarette
A new electronic smoking device that provides nicotine without the unhealthy cigarette byproducts has sold out in a western Minnesota test run and could reach businesses in Northeastern Minnesota later this month.
This man is not smoking a cigarette - he's using an <i>e-cigarette</i> | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota
By: Andy Greder, Duluth News Tribune
E-cigarette
Electronic cigarettes use high-frequency patented technology to atomize nicotine and produce only a smokeless vapor, which as seen above, looks like real smoke. The vapor, however, dissipates quickly and has no odor. (Celeste Beam / Alexandria (Minn.) Echo Press)

A new electronic smoking device that provides nicotine without the unhealthy cigarette byproducts has sold out in a western Minnesota test run and could reach businesses in Northeastern Minnesota later this month.

Though they have raised concerns among some health officials, the electronic cigarettes were flying off the shelves Feb. 13 at eight retailers in Alexandria. The test run held by Henry’s Foods, an Alexandria-based distributor, was so successful that the e-cigarette could be on shelves in an estimated250 convenience stores or bars from Cloquet to Grand Rapids by mid-March, said Terry Loeffler, the director of sales and marketing at Henry’s Foods.

“It has exceeded our expectations,” Loeffler said. “Every business that I’ve been in has said yes [to sell the product]. That is not an exaggeration — 100 percent.”

Henry’s Foods, which will control the majority of the market for Fifty-One brand e-cigarettes in Minnesota and North and South Dakota, intends to establish a partnership with another distributor for the e-cigs in Duluth within three months, Loeffler said.

Fifty-One promotes itself as a healthier alternative to traditional tobacco cigarettes while maintaining the actions of the smoking habit. It looks similar to a real cigarette with its brown filter and white body, but lacks a traditional cigarette’s flame, ash, carcinogens and carbon monoxide. The e-cigarette, which is manufactured in China, uses patented technology to atomize nicotine and produce a smokeless vapor that looks like smoke.

The vapor, according to the Fifty-One Web site, contains mostly water and trace elements of nicotine and propylene glycol, which is typically found in food coloring, flavoring and mouthwash. Propylene glycol is on the Food and Drug Administration’s list of safe elements.

Pat McKone, an official with the American Lung Association of Minnesota, has requested an opinion on e-cigarettes from Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson.

“We are concerned about the product because they are new to the market and there is little to no research on them,” McKone said. “We look at them as a gimmick.”

The World Health Organization issued a statement in September warning there was no evidence to back up contentions that e-cigarettes are a safe substitute for smoking or a way to help smokers quit.

It also said companies should stop marketing them that way, especially since the product may undermine smoking prevention efforts because they look like the real thing and may lure nonsmokers, including children.

“There is not sufficient evidence that [they] are safe products for human consumption,” Timothy O’Leary, a communications officer at the WHO’s tobacco Free Initiative in Geneva, said last month.

Questions of legality

In the U.S., the FDA has “detained and refused” several brands of electronic cigarettes because they were considered unapproved new drugs and could not be legally marketed in the country, said press officer Christopher Kelly.

He did not give more details, but said the determination of whether an e-cig is a drug is made on a case-by-case basis after the agency considers its intended use, labeling and advertising.

Some international experts back claims that e-cigarettes are safe.

David Sweanor, an adjunct law professor at Ottawa University and former legal counsel of the Non Smokers Rights Association in Canada, said e-cigs have the potential to save lives.

With smoking, “it’s the delivery system that’s killing people,” Sweanor said. “Anytime you suck smoke into your lungs you’re going to do yourself a great deal of damage. Nicotine has some slight risks, but they are minor compared to the risk of smoke in cigarettes.”

McKone said the product doesn’t violate Minnesota’s Clean Indoor Air Act, which prohibits smoking in nearly all indoor places, but it does present the potential for confusion in workplaces and for patrons of bars and restaurants. People could be led to believe it’s OK to light up a cigarette or that the Fifty-One “smokers” are in violation of the law.

The cost

The e-cigarette is similar to the already-available and FDA-approved Nicotrol Inhaler, which is prescribed by doctors for people who want to quit smoking. The inhaler comes with a mouthpiece and about 150 cartridges of nicotine at a cost from $160 to $200.

The two-part e-cigarette starter kit costs $95 and includes two nicotine cartridges, one lithium ion battery pack and a charging system.

One nicotine cartridge is the equivalent of about two packs of cigarettes, Loeffler said. Replacement cartridges will retail at $15.95 for a pack of five. Businesses selling the e-cigarettes will be instructed to sell only to customers who present identification that they are 18 years of age and older, Loeffler said.

“This is a huge savings in the long run,” said Loeffler, who also has marketed the product as an option to quit smoking. “It’s between $1.75 to $2 equivalent per pack as compared to $4.50 or $5 per pack of regular cigarettes.”

The smoking alternative is arriving on the scene just as a federal tax on tobacco cigarettes is set boost a pack’s price by 62 cents in April.

Sitting across from a pregnant public health official recently in Alexandria, Loeffler didn’t think twice about puffing several times on his e-cigarette during a demonstration.

Jessica Peterson, a Douglas County (Minn.) Public Health educator who worked to get a smoking ban in place in the county before the statewide ban was enacted in 2007, said the e-cigarette has the same effects of a tobacco cigarette without the negative components.

“Nicotine is no worse than caffeine,” Peterson said. “It’s not cancer causing.”

snap6cat

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
Connecticut,USA
Thanks for the post! I am not really afraid of BATF (no tobacco), or even FDA, I am really afraid of the Pleasure Police and the food police, and all the nanny staters who are more than willing to tell me what is good/bad for me and what I can/cannot do because they know so much more than you and me.
David

May all your vapor be smooth and sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread