This News agency says illness caused by flavors... smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
because flavored vaping products are extremely popular and right now the product appears to be causing serious illnesses. The reason why people are apparently harmed by using the flavored vaping products is unknown. That makes it a general health hazard. When the health of the greater community — whether in small town Eastern Oregon or other parts of the nation — is at risk, government has a duty to act.
Our view | Vaping ban a wise course of action

Apparently, researching a subject before you report on it is not something that is required for reporters at the East Oregonian... smh I was so irritated that I sent them an email asking them to correct their article to say that flavors are not even remotely related to the illnesses or deaths but instead it is black market THC cartridges. That was yesterday.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
Don't call them 'News' any more it should 'Opinion'. Reporters used to report news and do their own investigations, sadly no longer. Have you noticed how many Papers and TV Stations the first part is actually 'As reported by' I guess only the originator has to do a retraction later.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why not? If the weed was grown with some herbicides/fungicides/pesticides, some release hydrogen cyanide when heated which is one of the deadliest toxins known to man. Some of the toxicology reports have shown toxic levels of h. cyanide.
They can't say it's the weed that is bad.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I read the article...:eek:
These people are having a knee jerk reaction, not even trying to get facts, timelines, statistics before putting words on the paper...

"We" have been vaping "flavors" for over 10 yrs now, and how many people have become deathly ill or died from inhaling proper juice?
The vape community polices the manufacture of juice with a deep intensity to make sure nothing is going to be harmful.
and if an issues comes up, such as over heating juice ( formaldehyde) the word got out fast to avoid the practice.
I was working at a vape shop and we ( I and other employees) noticed the cinnamon based flavors began to separate ( oil/VG boundary and hard to remix) we pulled the product off of the shelf because we knew the facts about inhaling oil based products. Obviously the cinnamon flavored juice was made with cinnamon oil.
THC/VG vaping has been around for a few yrs and we didnt see strange illnesses, and then JUUL pops up, becomes popular and a means to easily conceal/sell/transport the THC/CBD pods.
and within the last several months, all of a sudden we see illnesses and deaths mainly found those using pods... ya think it just might be the CBD, THC, Vitamin E etc combinations that could be the issue??? o_O

So, if its the flavors, why havent we seen illness and death in the last 10 yrs from vaping nic, flavors,VG,PG? My answer to this question would be... cause there is no THC, CBD, Vitamin E in our juice:rolleyes:

The 6 month ban on flavors... what is expected from this? No flavored juice therefore no more illnesses, no more deaths? and what if the ban was imposed and no one was vaping flavors and yet the deaths and illnesses continue? What I see would happen is the the Powers to be would then try to find something wrong with "proper juice" elsewhere and not even address the possibility that the THC/Vitamin E market is the problem...

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You idiots. When are you going to wake up?

The Earth is flat.
Chem trails are killing us all.
Vaccines cause autism.
We never landed on the moon.
Markets run themselves, it's everything else that's the problem.

AND vaping flavors kills people!

Now get it right, and save the kiddies. Capitalism has the solution, so just turn it all over to Big Tobacco and "let the market work it out". It's magic.

Sheesh. Done.

/snark

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Why not? If the weed was grown with some herbicides/fungicides/pesticides, some release hydrogen cyanide when heated which is one of the deadliest toxins known to man. Some of the toxicology reports have shown toxic levels of h. cyanide.
They can't be wrong about legalizing drugs. That just wouldn't be right. (sarcasm on both responses)

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I was working at a vape shop and we ( I and other employees) noticed the cinnamon based flavors began to separate ( oil/VG boundary and hard to remix) we pulled the product off of the shelf because we knew the facts about inhaling oil based products. Obviously the cinnamon flavored juice was made with cinnamon oil.

Was this just a cinnamon flavor or like a desert flavor? I vape Capella Cinnamon Danish Swirl V2 and my Mom and Dad were trying to get me to switch flavors over something they saw on the news. This was before the whole illness hysteria. Just wondering if you have an opinion on cinnamon desert flavors.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    but I'm sure we all wouldn't like being called drug addicts
    Hi.
    My name is AttyPops and I'm a nicotine drug addict.

-----------

OK, I get that a lot of people see that term "drug addict" and don't include things like nicotine or caffeine or maybe even sugar. They mean hard-core drugs. But still, I face it directly. Maybe that's just me.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    We live in a blameless society where it is unfair to blame anyone for anything... unless your group is bigger or louder than the group your blaming. Couple this with a 24hr news cycle and how can you blame news agencies reporting a story that they can't adequately source or verify in 24hrs? Totally unfair right? And don't forget that everyone got a trophy so what's your problem? /s

The obvious argument is why has 10 years of vaping not produced this result of death and illness? These deaths and illnesses happened in a very short amount of time and because of that this can indeed be considered an outbreak I think. But the simplest immediate conclusion to be made is what is very different from 10 years vaping history and data? If this was a dribbling in of cases from many years then I could see vaping nic style being a target of investigation, but the reality is this happened in a stunningly short period of time. So the logical conclusion is that something entirely different occurred.

I also think (can't prove) that the CDC got slapped down for having the gall to come out and say it looked like contaminated THC carts were the problem. They fairly quickly walked that back to keep nic vaping included in the conversation and we have heard very little from the CDC since then that I have noticed.

The other thing I wonder about is I haven't seen the numbers on how many of these patients and deceased were also actual nic style vapers? If the data is out there and has been reported I haven't seen it, but it seems an important statistic. If a significant enough sample of the cases involved no-nic vapers I just fail to see the correlation, much less even a minor correlation equaling possible causation. Science is important and science takes time. Time hasn't been given. We are left with not just with wagging fingers being directed at vapers trying to shame us, but actual legislation being enacted to deny us our ability to vape freely as adults as a result. Base on what?

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    The one thing that keeps ground around and around in my mind when thinking about all of this is if they could pin even ONE of these cases on nic only vaping don't you think we would have heard about it by now? It's exactly what they're looking for. If they could blame Juul and shut down the whole darn thing they would have done it already. If they could find a single bottle of legally sold e-juice that was tainted don't you think the name of that juice manufacturer would be all over the news?

They got nothing. That's why they have to lie all day.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    Was this just a cinnamon flavor or like a desert flavor? I vape Capella Cinnamon Danish Swirl V2 and my Mom and Dad were trying to get me to switch flavors over something they saw on the news. This was before the whole illness hysteria. Just wondering if you have an opinion on cinnamon desert flavors.

the multi flavored juices with cinnamon included didnt separate for some reason, but the ones with nothing but cinnamon did ( RedHots flavor)... basically VG, nic and cinnamon oil. Out of the dozen or so different vendors and several dozen different flavor blends, the RedHots was the most prone to separate. There was another flavor that kinda separated ( Creme Brule') but remixed very easily.

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    the multi flavored juices with cinnamon included didnt separate for some reason, but the ones with nothing but cinnamon did ( RedHots flavor)... basically VG, nic and cinnamon oil. Out of the dozen or so different vendors and several dozen different flavor blends, the RedHots was the most prone to separate. There was another flavor that kinda separated ( Creme Brule') but remixed very easily.

Thank you very much that makes me feel a lot better about my ADV.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread