Thoughts on generic non-Joyetech ego batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lois2013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm looking to get a VV battery, and I found a website that has 900 mAh twist egos on sale, but there is this big disclaimer saying "these are NOT genuine Joyetech products, etc etc" and has all this stuff about batteries possibly catching fire while charging and that they're not responsible...

I thought I read somewhere about knock off ego batteries having problems that were giving e-cigs a bad rap, but it wasn't too much info so I wasn't sure if that was a particular type or whatnot.

I'm new to vaping and have been using a Halo Triton exclusively, so I'm not too familiar with the differences in hardware. What do you know about generic ego batts? Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Speaking personally, I would not buy a cheap clone Twist.

I was looking at getting some direct from China at $12. Original branded VV here, $24.

For $12 more I'll go with branded. Mine last 6 months or more - $2 a month for peace of mind.

- - -

The thing that annoys me the most is here (UK) on ebay and internet vendors is that they make more money on copies by pricing them just under the genuine article. For example clone VV £17.50 real Joyetech or Vision £20.00. Not going to be worth it, surely.

pmcode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Barstow, CA
The funniest thing about that is that Joyetech is actually NOT the creator of the eGo battery. So, they are actually a clone themselves...
Now, I understand and use primarily Joye branded stuff, as I have never had a problem with them (3 regulars, 6 twists, even an eVic -only one (for now <grin>)).
I also have a couple of I-don't-know-who-made ego twists. They have been good to me for about a week so far. I go through about 3 to 4 1000mah batteries a day, and so far, so good.

Ultimately, YMMV.

Lois2013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The funniest thing about that is that Joyetech is actually NOT the creator of the eGo battery. So, they are actually a clone themselves....

Oh wow, haha that's really interesting!!

Yeah, I'm torn...but $10 for a 900 mAh twist, I kinda don't care if it craps out on me after a short while!! I guess it would give me enough of a try to see if VV even matters to me, for a small investment...however, if it's a safety hazard, that's obviously not worth getting a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

pmcode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Barstow, CA
I think, if you find them cheaper anywhere else, the main issue I could see would be charging issues. I wouldn't leave any of them on a charger without being there (and NOT asleep), in case something happens. With most of the ego series being 1000mah or lower, I would think if it goes into runaway while you were using it, you would have time to ditch it in a safe manner. Charging, however, you probably would have no warning.

VoodooZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Muncie, Indiana, USA
If it is going to be your first one and you are wanting to experiement with it, then I would say go with what is cheaper. You can always, if you like it enough, go back and get a branded one and use it if you decide it is something that you need. I do this a lot with other things (not e-cigs). I'll get something that is what I'm looking for, but not from the named company before I decide if I have to have it just to try it out and see if it is something I need. Then if it sticks, I'll move on to getting the branded one because I'm big for that kind of thing. I'm overly brand loyal. But before I commit to getting the brand, I like to make sure that it is something that I am going to use. And if I can save 1-50 bucks in the process to try it out, you bet that I will.

mmm...baconfat

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Larghetto Bluffs, FL
I got a couple c-twists from fasttech that I've had for 5 months with no problems at all other than the paint coming off (which happens with genuine joyetech as well) but they have taken a backseat in the past month because I got a vamo and its all I use now. So I gave them to some friends and they're still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread