RDA Thoughts on the Dark Horse RDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raige93

Jul 4, 2014
Palmyra, PA
I personally love mine. In fact since I got it shortly after they were released, I literally have not used any of my other atties since. (Except when I melted my insulator, which was not due to anything faulty with the atomizer or insulator, but rather me shorting it out while trying to build beyond my limits :) ) I run the airflow wide open and love the draw. It's not as airy as, say, a Doge V2, but it is more airy (Is that grammatically correct?) than my Plumeveil V1.5 (Authentic).

Now, as far as leaking.... The well is pretty shallow, which doesn't particularly bother me, but it may bother some. Although even when I over drip, which is often enough, I don't experience ANY leaking, UNLESS I exhale through the atty first, which I rarely do personally.

Vapor production depends on far too many variable for me to comment on (Coil placement, the build itself, the juice, how open you have the airflow, if you're using a drip tip or the chuff style it comes with, and if you're using it on a VW/VV mod, what voltage you're pushing to the coils, there's probably more that I missed :) )

The deck is a freaking dream to build on, I love it! I use the hex screws it comes with, but if that's not your style it comes with phillips screws. I really do enjoy this RDA if you can't tell haha.

My experiences I've posted about are all based on the authentic Dark Horse, not a clone. Just incase you're wondering.

Oh and to answer your original question. I used to run 22g super sub ohm Gplat builds on this little guy and the vapor production (Which at that point in my vaping career is what I was going for) was quite, quite satisfying. I've calmed down a bit since then and still love it.

r_sizzle

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2014
Missouri Bootheel
I agree with most of the other two responses so I'll just point out some of the negatives that I found. Keep in mind that my version is a clone so that may play into it some, idk. I don't really like the afc ring or how you adjust it. I can never seem to tighten the top cap enough to hold the afc exactly where I put it. It has 3 vertical slots that are progressively larger and very close together. So for me it's hard to use less than all 3 slots. The body has a lot of different options for coil placement and airflow which seemed like a good idea, but because of the shallow well and the afc which always seems loose, it weeps. That's my biggest gripe, the weeping. I always have juice seeping around the afc ring and the top of my mech. I only pointed out this stuff cause everybody else only said the good things about it. With all said, I still use mine almost everyday because none of my gripes are bad enough to not use it. If you're looking for a new rda, check out the Haze, all the same pros with none of the cons I mentioned. Hope you find what you want

SmokingAStogie

Feb 13, 2015
Austin TX
Leaking is not so bad for me. My Little Boy and Mutation x V1 leak as well. Put enough juice in and it will leak. Airflow is good for me, it helps me keep my coils cool and not burn my wicks. I've seen some youtube reviews on it and it looks like the most you can close it off is by 1 little hole. When i cloud chase, i keep all holes open, it works for me! Thanks for the tip tho.

SmokingAStogie

Feb 13, 2015
Austin TX
Dark Horse is my favorite RDA I own and I have a clone for a while now. Very easy to build on, and no noticeable leaking problems. I don't have any problems with the airflow adjustment either, maybe I just lucked out on the clone I got. I just got a Mutant X as well, which is a strong competitor but the dark horse still wins it for me.

I have a Mutation X V1 and i'd have to say, i like my Little Boy RDA more. It does not produce as much vapor as my Little Boy and it can't be because of the build cuz they are pretty much the same. 22G Kanthal at .46 Ohms. It could be cuz the tip on the Mutation X V1 is so small compared to other RDAs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread