Thoughts on the Pioneer4you IPV V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
So I have had my IPV v3 for a week now and thought I would get my experience out there for you guys.

As far as performance goes, this this is rock solid. The battery compartment has stayed perfectly dry, the wattage is definitely not a lie. This thing does exactly what it says on the tin. I notice no rattle-snaking, and when matching the wattage output of my mechanical mod, as much as I hate to say it, I could notice no difference. Now for the problems:
1. The touch button does not work, even when enabled. According to their website, it is disabled due to safety concerns and may be able to be enabled in the future with a firmware update.
2. Does not include a charger.
Edit: 3. Since the batteries must be charged in an external charger, and there is no internal charge to maintain memory, the memory resets everytime you change batteries, which means you lose any of your wattage presets.

Personally, there 2 problems do not effect me. The touch button IS dangerous, so it is good it is disabled, and everyone should keep it that way. As far as it not including a charger, I think this is a good thing as well. I look at it like this, this is a 150w device. People will be using high end batteries in this thing. People should be using an equally high end charger to charge them. One that could not be crammed into a box like this and be trusted anyway.

Honestly, this box is quite good, IF you know what you are getting. If you plan to use your own charger, and you never wanted to use the fire hazard of a touch button, then this thing will make you very happy.

Last edited:

Nuclear Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Memphis, TN
I like mine too. I'm charging with a cord though and still think it should have been included. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy anymore P4Y products because of that very issue. If I would have known it before hand it would be different but that wasn't the case. Too many great mods on the market right now to have to deal with dishonesty!

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
I've heard good and bad. I don't personally own one but I've used one... I think they fixed it in later releases but the first ones used a pure copper screw for the adjustable 510 pin. It was very soft and prone to issues, especially when screwed out to fit more shallow pins. The charge cord is a bit of a mystery to me. Why they didn't include it in the first place is a bit strange, and honestly as far as chargers go, it takes very few components to make a good charger, so there's no reason they can't do it very well inside the mod. I've also heard a lot of people complaining that even with purchased cords their charger still doesn't work. In many cases the light comes on like it's charging, but doesn't actually charge. I don't know the validity of those claims, just know there are lots out there.

As far as the touch button, that's yet another mystery to me. Rather why P4Y is flat out lying about it. I've seen numerous reports of them saying that they may enable it in a future firmware update. That's not possible. There are many documented photos showing that there is connections to the touch sensor. I've never know a firmware update to automatically install wiring. :D

Otherwise it's built very well and seems like a good unit. I just honestly think they rushed it out to beat the T8 and some of the other high power devices coming out and suffered for it.

LowOhms

Oct 28, 2013
Bossier, LA
I have been using one for a few weeks now and really like it. I also have a GOD180 and that thing is crap in comparison. I built a raptor 120W about 6 months ago and it's still going strong. My DIY raptor was hands down my favorite until I got the IPV3. Now Id say they are tied for 1st place. I think my IPV3 gets better battery life and its smaller which is great. Its hard to beat my raptor120W considering I know every thing there is to know about it. If something ever breaks I know it's an easy fix.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
I was honestly very surprised with the battery life seeing as its wired in series, but the voltage regulation makes the whole amp hour thing confusing to calculate. I guess it totally depends on the build and wattage, but I have been getting a full day off 2 2000 mah batteries, 0.21 ohms at 60 watts, and thats good enough for me.

As far as the other comments go, yes I would be upset too if I cared about the built in charger or the touch button. I did not, and everything else about this device has exceeded my expectations.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
I was honestly very surprised with the battery life seeing as its wired in series, but the voltage regulation makes the whole amp hour thing confusing to calculate. I guess it totally depends on the build and wattage, but I have been getting a full day off 2 2000 mah batteries, 0.21 ohms at 60 watts, and thats good enough for me.

As far as the other comments go, yes I would be upset too if I cared about the built in charger or the touch button. I did not, and everything else about this device has exceeded my expectations.
There's a lot of confusion even on here regarding batteries in series versus parallel. Here's what's important to remember. If you have two exact builds running on two different mods at the same power, each with two batteries, it doesn't matter if you have two batteries in series or parallel you still have approximately the same capacity (approximately due to voltage drop, regulator efficiency, etc). If you're regulating the voltage you're doing so by increasing or decreasing the current. So if your input is twice the voltage then you're drawing half the current to generate the same output voltage another mod would draw if it's input were half the voltage. :)

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
I have been using mine sine 10/11 and it is a solid performer. Those issues you mentioned have been discussed in depth and the touch sensor will never work on the versions that have been released so far as it is not connected to anything.

I am in the minority on the touch sensor as I really wanted to make the decision myself on whether to use it or not. I have since gotten over it and enjoy the device for what it offers.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
Yeah, I was really conflicted by it as well. With those two glaring obvious problems, even though they did not effect me, it really made me question the device as a whole. But no matter how hard I tried to find other tangible faults, the thing is working as I expect.

I will add one more con to the list:

Since the batteries must be charged in an external charger, and there is no internal charge to maintain memory, the memory resets everytime you change batteries, which means you lose any of your wattage presets.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Every complaint about the iPV III has been about shady business practices and an atrocious warranty partner who does not keep their word . There have never been complaints about performance .

Purposely lying to make more sales is more than many can take though and saying the device has a certain feature and it's up to you whether you engage that feature or not engage it then finding out it's not even wired is outrageous.

Promising in writing warranty conditions and then allowing your warranty partner to make changes at will and not honor what you were promised is just as bad.

Despite whether you need it or not , a charging cord MUST be included with mods like this , to allow your warranty partner to charge an additional $20.00 bucks is BS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread