Thoughts on the Smoant Cylon 218W Box Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
how is the board? any issues?
All of Smoant’s mods have been really good but the cylon is tops. They improved on all the shortcomings of the previous mod’s chips and made the perfect device. The older mods had shorter battery life and didn’t fire fast and hard. They made the battery cutoff go down to 3.2 where it used to be 3.5 causing less battery life. Their new chip also hits like a Mac truck. They have always done temperature control and wattage very accurate and flawless. I know this will make others mad but I think Smoant’s chips do tc just as good as dna and yihi. There is a thread titled Smoant Cylon if you have anymore questions you could find answers there.

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
Cloudy Peak Vapes has them for a really good price right now. Excellent mod with a really good hand feel, very solid construction and an excellent chip, almost instant firing and it hits hard. Very impressed with it.
I'm gunna get one ordered i should have it tuesday hopefully, looking forward to it!, not only does it look smart it sounds awsome

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Cloudy Peak Vapes has them for a really good price right now. Excellent mod with a really good hand feel, very solid construction and an excellent chip, almost instant firing and it hits hard. Very impressed with it.
Cloudy Peak Vapes are at $64.99. Element Vapes are at $59.95. I did not need one fast, so I paid $43.21 from FastTech. For the most part I tend to purchase from Element Vapes because of quick shipping, fair prices, and treating me well on a return.

To fill the time while it's on a slow boat from China, I'm getting custom wallpapers ready :sleep:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I love my Cylon mod (it was promptly stolen/given to my husband) but I had (accidentally) ordered another from a source I'd forgotten about, and it is never leaving my vape rotation. Never. LOL.

It is a fantastic mod, I think it's hard to say much negative about it. The board is very efficient (although I do use low wattage) it is a hard hitting mod, and the vape quality is just fantastic.

Anna

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
Mine just came in from Element Vape. Very Impressive mod! Granted, I've been out of it for a few years, and previously my high watt mod was the Siegli 100 (which is a good mod as well, and built for abuse), but this Smoant Cylon puts it to shame. Quick hit, VV, TC,wallpaper (why? who knows, but it's kind of neat) This paired up with a Freemax Fireluke Mesh Tank (with the 5ML bulb glass) puts me on cloud 9! So much vape, good taste, just a tad hot, but I am looking for a longer 810 drip tip (a seemingly hard task when it shouldn't be). I haven't had a dry hit yet. In the couple of years that I was back on analog it looks like the tech has kept progressing well. I can still get my Arctic Wolf from VaporGod, so I'm a happy camper!

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Mine just came in from Element Vape. Very Impressive mod! Granted, I've been out of it for a few years, and previously my high watt mod was the Siegli 100 (which is a good mod as well, and built for abuse), but this Smoant Cylon puts it to shame. Quick hit, VV, TC,wallpaper (why? who knows, but it's kind of neat) This paired up with a Freemax Fireluke Mesh Tank (with the 5ML bulb glass) puts me on cloud 9! So much vape, good taste, just a tad hot, but I am looking for a longer 810 drip tip (a seemingly hard task when it shouldn't be). I haven't had a dry hit yet. In the couple of years that I was back on analog it looks like the tech has kept progressing well. I can still get my Arctic Wolf from VaporGod, so I'm a happy camper!
With being outta the game for a bit you made an excellent choice. The Cylon is an incredible value. For under $50 it’s pretty hard to find a mod that has all the features and executes said features as flawless as the Cylon does. I think it looks good also and the fact that it can handle a 30mm topper without overhang is just a cherry on top. They are suprisingly durable as well. Mines had some nasty falls that had me cringing and came through unscathed. The bars been set pretty high with this mod. I think it’s gonna be awhile before someone tops it.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I like mine. I dropped my Joytech Cuboid one too many times and needed a dual battery replacement. I already had a BattleStar that hasn't had a problem so I decided to try another Smoant.
I use SS TC. I thought it might be a little warm at the start but I don't think I ever tried a known tank/build from another mod on it to compare. Now that it's well broken in it's at my usual temperature. I don't use any other modes so I don't know how they work other than I did try them and know they do work.

There's no adjustment lock but I don't recall ever having it pocket change like my BattleStar does.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can turn it off pretty easily. I have accidentally adjusted mine on occasion, but mainly when driving, etc. Otherwise, it's pretty easy going.

Still one of my very favorite, favorite mods. :) It just does everything well. I'm so glad I accidentally ordered two because the husband stole mine. I made him hold it and vape a puff, and that is all it took. "I don't like that dome thingy," he said disgustedly, (LOL, Ares was on top). So, i set him up on an ego mega one tank (also, my one backup on that tank, I need to purchase more) but thankfully, they're pretty inexpensive. Heh. The husband is getting more and more into vaping, I am going to introduce him to an RTA next..

He's a MTL vaper, but he doesn't love like, rounded shaped things. Suggestions welcome. Really, i should give him my doggy style, but I plan to have one more crack at it first.

But, the Cylon is pretty unbeatable in its price point and class, that's for sure. :)

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
You can turn it off pretty easily. I have accidentally adjusted mine on occasion, but mainly when driving, etc. Otherwise, it's pretty easy going.

I'm amazed I don't pocket change it. I wear bibs and change when I lean against things. Battlestar has a chance not to have the buttons forward or back and I always change it if I don't lock it. Cylon is always forward or backwards but I guess the buttons are too small for me to hit. I rarely pocket fire it either. It's been a good carry mod.

And TFV4 isn't top heavy on it.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave

Still one of my very favorite, favorite mods. :) It just does everything well. I'm so glad I accidentally ordered two because the husband stole mine. I made him hold it and vape a puff, and that is all it took. "I don't like that dome thingy," he said disgustedly, (LOL, Ares was on top). So, i set him up on an ego mega one tank (also, my one backup on that tank, I need to purchase more) but thankfully, they're pretty inexpensive. Heh. The husband is getting more and more into vaping, I am going to introduce him to an RTA next..

He's a MTL vaper, but he doesn't love like, rounded shaped things. Suggestions welcome. Really, i should give him my doggy style, but I plan to have one more crack at it first.

But, the Cylon is pretty unbeatable in its price point and class, that's for sure. :)

Anna
Good job hooking your hubby up with an awesome mod. As far as his dislike for “rounded shaped things” there is this non-rounded shaped rda Atty3 RDA by Wotofo A-Mod | Atty Cubed
Good luck finding him a topper to his liking.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
:rickroll:
Yay! It finally arrived!
Of course I had to download the update and play around with wallpaper / screensaver stuff. Started with a Star Trek Logo:
thumb-1920-388084.jpg

I chose this because well, I'm a Star Trek nerd, but also because the image itself is 1600x900 (not a square aspect ratio like the Cylon screen), is in JPEG format (not the BMP format used by the Cylon). I added the image without any editing using the Cylon app. It imported it, showing you that it "cut off" both sides to get a square image, and lets you zoom in or out to apply an additional crop.

If you then look in the pictures folder in the cylon update folder on your PC, you will note that the imported image has been transformed into two BMP files, one for actual use at 168K, and a second thumbnail at 12k for the selection of wallpapers in the mod. Sweet..

I then imported several pictures of my favorite tanks, just for fun. A wallpaper with my Crius 2 and my Zeus for a screensaver - Whaaaaat!

Don't forget you can take any image, and customize it further in your favorite graphics software ( I like the free paint.net program). Of course you want your name on your Cylon screen!

But how well does this thing work? Oh yes, sorry, was having too much fun looking at the menus and playing with images. I have not tried anything but wattage mode with a black OBS Engine, and a black / gold Wake and both seemed to enjoy getting their power jolted through their 510's from this mod. I don't need the volts this thing is capable of producing, but from the reviews it does do TC very well, so I'll be testing that.

It's not as large as I expected, really quite comfy in the hand, I like it.. and that Adoree Banana Bondage is tasting rather yummy :banana:

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I have not tried anything but wattage mode with a black OBS Engine, and a black / gold Wake and both seemed to enjoy getting their power jolted through their 510's from this mod.

Way back when I was power, before TC was a thing I liked the version of Curve that was around then.
I toyed with it a bit on the Cylon and it's worth trying. I think I did like it a bit more than straight TC but didn't feel like messing around to figure out what I liked best.

Once I start building a heavier fused clapton for TC like I plan to take up the room in my TFV4 I probably will at least use curve to give it a warm up boost at the start.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
you'll have to let us know how you went about uploading the wallpapers and was it easy to do?
Hope my previous post was enough of an answer as to how - just install the update software from Smoant on a PC, plug in your Cylon via USB, and update the mod if necessary. Then just go to wallpaper in the software, and add the image of your choice..

A couple of hints. You cannot add new images without using the software to import them. Once they have been uploaded to your mod, they can be selected. You can change the wallpaper choice from within nine choices the mod can store. In other words when you add a new image in software, you choose an image to replace to keep the total to nine. The replaced images are still stored in the PC software, but will not be on the mod.

I did encounter a weird problem with one image that seems to cause a crash of the application when attempting to import it. I'm still trying to figure that out.

Overall it's simple and easy once you get the hang of it, and not having to edit the images to a particular aspect ratio, file size, or file type is really a great feature. The software does all of that for you.

I would suggest choosing images that do not have too light a background for wallpaper, as the text in the Cylon is mainly in white, and becomes difficult to read.

Finally, unlike the wallpaper, you cannot change your screensaver from within the mod other than to choose between the clock or an image. You have to choose which image from within the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread