Thoughts on the Smoant Cylon 218W Box Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Way back when I was power, before TC was a thing I liked the version of Curve that was around then.
I toyed with it a bit on the Cylon and it's worth trying. I think I did like it a bit more than straight TC but didn't feel like messing around to figure out what I liked best.

Once I start building a heavier fused clapton for TC like I plan to take up the room in my TFV4 I probably will at least use curve to give it a warm up boost at the start.
I have tried the temperature control now, and it seems to be very consistent. I have not tried the custom curves yet. I don't know if there is a better mod for the price, perhaps there is, but I sure am enjoying this Cylon. The menus are easy to use once you get the hang of it.

My only complaint is that with the Star Trek wallpaper on it, I have still not been able to use it as a Communicator. Beam me up! :thumbs:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
15249973215451230107432.jpg
A question for the Cylon owners.
When I press the fire button on my Cylon in power mode, whatever setting it is on, I get a very brief power pulse, too short to be noticed, unless you are extremely careful listening at the crackling of the atomiser. Most noticeable at 10 - 15 W setting. My estimate of this glitch is 100 ms duration at 25 - 30 W power, and it happens with all the different boosts. It is not present if I use the power curve.
I don't know if it is a problem with my Cylon only, or it is a "feature" of all of them. I appreciate your help, thanks...

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
View attachment 739061 A question for the Cylon owners.
When I press the fire button on my Cylon in power mode, whatever setting it is on, I get a very brief power pulse, too short to be noticed, unless you are extremely careful listening at the crackling of the atomiser. Most noticeable at 10 - 15 W setting. My estimate of this glitch is 100 ms duration at 25 - 30 W power, and it happens with all the different boosts. It is not present if I use the power curve.
I don't know if it is a problem with my Cylon only, or it is a "feature" of all of them. I appreciate your help, thanks...
An extra 10-15 watts of power for 100ms?!? That would not be perceived by our puny human brains. On a side note when I turn on my Cylon it takes 200-300ms before the screen turns on. Does anyone else have this problem? I ain’t got that kinda time to wait for my mod to turn on. I need to be vapin now not 200ms from now.

Last edited:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Was easy to perceive that were a variation upon firing the mod. I have a simple test gig with an RTA bottom hardware, a 0.5 Ohm load, with two wires going to the o'scope. There I made the measure.
Again, a spike of one tenth of second is easily spotted if you listen carefully to the crackling noise.
BTW, my Cylon after the five clicks turn-on, takes 200 - 300 ms (Eyeball Mark 1) before the SMOANT logo start playing on the screen; same as yours I guess.

Last edited:

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
The only thing I had noticed is that using the SS profile for temperature control, I was setting the degrees lower than other mods. Then I re-watched the YouTube review by DJlsB . I entered his suggested value of .00085 into TCR and use that, and now it seems to be spot on for temperature control.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The only thing I had noticed is that using the SS profile for temperature control, I was setting the degrees lower than other mods. Then I re-watched the YouTube review by DJlsB . I entered his suggested value of .00085 into TCR and use that, and now it seems to be spot on for temperature control.
Is that using 316l wire?

chromedohm

May 9, 2018
Australia
Hope my previous post was enough of an answer as to how - just install the update software from Smoant on a PC, plug in your Cylon via USB, and update the mod if necessary. Then just go to wallpaper in the software, and add the image of your choice..

A couple of hints. You cannot add new images without using the software to import them. Once they have been uploaded to your mod, they can be selected. You can change the wallpaper choice from within nine choices the mod can store. In other words when you add a new image in software, you choose an image to replace to keep the total to nine. The replaced images are still stored in the PC software, but will not be on the mod.

I did encounter a weird problem with one image that seems to cause a crash of the application when attempting to import it. I'm still trying to figure that out.

Overall it's simple and easy once you get the hang of it, and not having to edit the images to a particular aspect ratio, file size, or file type is really a great feature. The software does all of that for you.

I would suggest choosing images that do not have too light a background for wallpaper, as the text in the Cylon is mainly in white, and becomes difficult to read.

Finally, unlike the wallpaper, you cannot change your screensaver from within the mod other than to choose between the clock or an image. You have to choose which image from within the software.

Seems like whenever I try to add a custom image the software just crashes for me :(
Tried multiple different images, different formats but everything made the software crap the bed.
Not really fussed about it but wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong at least.

Performance wise I haven't had any problems, though when I also tried DJLsb's recommendation of TCR at 0.00085 I get no warmth whatsoever compared to running it in TC SS mode on the same wattage/temperature.

Edit: After rebuild TCR mode performs great, no idea why the previous build made it so cold compared to TC SS.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic

Celt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2018
USA
Seems like whenever I try to add a custom image the software just crashes for me :(
Tried multiple different images, different formats but everything made the software crap the bed.
Not really fussed about it but wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong at least.

Performance wise I haven't had any problems, though when I also tried DJLsb's recommendation of TCR at 0.00085 I get no warmth whatsoever compared to running it in TC SS mode on the same wattage/temperature.
I have had only one image that caused the software to crash. i don't know why that one image does that.

JBR3AK

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2012
Moosic, Pennsylvania, USA
I’ve had no issues with firing on this cylon. I bought it from DNA vapor in March. Only thing I don’t like is the quality of the screen. After a month, white lines started showing across the top, then eventually killed the rest of the screen. Could’ve been a fluke, or a certain mfg batch I recieved. A couple searches online seem that others have this issue too. Other than that, I love this thing. I even opened it up to take a look inside at the screen and such. Everything was solid and dry. I’d love to get another, as long as the screen issue is resolved. Me being nit picky is the lack of a fire button lock lol. But, solid mod none the less. I typically vape my tfv8 at 50w on it. Quick firing response as well. Thumbs up from me for Smoant. Just fix the screen issues and it will be the best mod in its class for me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've had a couple for a few months (the husband has one). I've not had any issues with either.... One was from FT, the other 3FVape. I hope you resolve any issues you are having with the mod. Of course, my husband is some sort of savant when it comes to menus. I was watching a video on how to set the clock, and he grabbed it from my hands, muttering "It's just a menu system, Anna." (I got mine before his so he had no familiarity with it). I was this weird combination of envious and thankful. LOL.

This also means I can offer very little, regarding the wallpaper and etc. But I hope you get it sorted out.

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I’ve had no issues with firing on this cylon. I bought it from DNA vapor in March. Only thing I don’t like is the quality of the screen. After a month, white lines started showing across the top, then eventually killed the rest of the screen. Could’ve been a fluke, or a certain mfg batch I recieved. A couple searches online seem that others have this issue too. Other than that, I love this thing. I even opened it up to take a look inside at the screen and such. Everything was solid and dry. I’d love to get another, as long as the screen issue is resolved. Me being nit picky is the lack of a fire button lock lol. But, solid mod none the less. I typically vape my tfv8 at 50w on it. Quick firing response as well. Thumbs up from me for Smoant. Just fix the screen issues and it will be the best mod in its class for me.

Oops, mine is starting to do that. Hope it doesn't kill the rest of the screen.
I'm not a huge fan of these types of screens anyway.

• Optimistic

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
That sucks to here about the screen problem. I’ve had mine since January with no problems. It has took its fair share of drops and knocked off tables as well. I love this mod so hopefully my screen continues working. Although I have been looking for a reason to but the tarnish colored Cylon. At first I hated the look of the Ranker but the more I see it the more I like it. I’m just a Smoant fanboy though so my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

JBR3AK

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2012
I’m going to try ordering a new one from element this time, and in gunmetal instead of black. Hopefully the screen holds up. I love this mod. I figured a lock mode could be easily fixed with a future firmware update. I’m willing to to take my 2nd beating if it does happen again lol. This thing is Leaps and bounds though over my alien 220w. I dare say this, but it’s almost as if it’s a highly affordable YiHi sx. My black cylon experienced only 4 falls, but none of which affected the screen any from what I’ve observed. I’ve thought about messaging smoant about this issue and seeing if it’s persistent still before pulling the trigger on another.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I’m going to try ordering a new one from element this time, and in gunmetal instead of black. Hopefully the screen holds up. I love this mod. I figured a lock mode could be easily fixed with a future firmware update. I’m willing to to take my 2nd beating if it does happen again lol. This thing is Leaps and bounds though over my alien 220w. I dare say this, but it’s almost as if it’s a highly affordable YiHi sx. My black cylon experienced only 4 falls, but none of which affected the screen any from what I’ve observed. I’ve thought about messaging smoant about this issue and seeing if it’s persistent still before pulling the trigger on another.

Mine has had no falls. I didn't think about it until you said something. I think that started pretty early on.
The way it looks compared to watches I bet it's a poor connection, but possibly a bad screen.
I don't know if it would have a plug but if you call it dead it might be worth taking apart and seeing if it's something with a connection that could be wiggled.

JBR3AK

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2012
Mine has had no falls. I didn't think about it until you said something. I think that started pretty early on.
The way it looks compared to watches I bet it's a poor connection, but possibly a bad screen.
I don't know if it would have a plug but if you call it dead it might be worth taking apart and seeing if it's something with a connection that could be wiggled.

I wish I took pictures when I took it apart when my screen was still partially functioning. I busted the screen afterwards in my own stupidity at work tapping it off a wrench lmfao. I contacted smoant via email @ support awaiting a reply for quality concern. Surprisingly, the TFT displays ribbon cable is attatched to the board via a regular FFC flat ribbon cable connector (what you’d find a cellphones screen connected to on its circuit board). No soldered contacts. I was impressed to find that in a mod for only $50.ive played with the cable, connector, and board. No change. Screen goes out disconnected, comes back with lines when reconnected. I’ve definatley dwindled it down to the screen. No magnifying glass to inspect its connector pins. They appeared clean and intact. Even pressure applied to said connector had no effect either. If I order a new cylon, I will happily take my old one back apart for the sake of this thread and those curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread