Thoughts on the Smoant Cylon 218W Box Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I checked it out, and the 20 oz one is in my cart for now. It looks like it would work great, and I'm sure if I went out to buy one well, I'd have less success, probably for more money, thank you I will probably order it!

Anna
The paint on the 20oz. is terrible . I have owned the one I linked for 5 years and it stll looks like brand new.No paint only a brushed stainless steel.;)
P.S. The only caveat.I use mine for mostly ice water.If using it for coffee you will need to periodically take the top apart for thorough cleaning.Not difficult especially if you are familiar with orings/gaskets.:)
Sorry for the hijack please continue.:cool:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: stols001

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Well, happy ending for my tale of Cylon woe at least. New Charon Mini arrived today, already with the latest FW from Smoant. Hopefully it'll have a longer lifespan than the Cylon. Screen issues don't seem to be restricted to the Cylon though the Cylon seems to achieve an unrivalled record for failures and Charon failures do seem to be much less widespread. Fingers crossed. Either way, it'll be my last Smoant mod.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I sent another annoyed email but don't think I'll get far. I was on the FT page, seeing if there was anything about "suppliers who don't honor warranties," and interestingly enough, they would replace it if it was damaged if I wanted to ship it there (on my dime) if it's defective, and replace it etc.

So, FT is actually giving BETTER warranties than the manufacturer AND selling it cheaper! :lol::lol::lol:

It only made me admire FT more, but given I'd have to put it on "low brightness" for the problem to show up and now that mine is full on glare, it seems to have returned to TOTAL normalcy, I don't think I'm going to ship my Cylon back to China.

I'm just going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts, which for all I know may be a LONG time, I mean even my clock has returned to normalcy (if I didn't have pictures of the situation, I would almost thing I was crazy) it could last a fair amount of time. Since it will be my last Smoant mod (and honestly, it's not because I think the Cylon sucks, it really I love it, but because Smoant are jerks, and I DO NOT support manufacturers who are jerks) although there are a few manfuacturers I might have trouble NOT supporting even if they were jerks, their stuff is so good, but I'm not talking about THEM, Smoant, I am talking about YOU. You offer nice mods, but not THAT nice if you know what I am saying. Etc.
Anna

Reactions: Mysteron

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
TBH if they hadn't offered me the Charon as (almost) a freebie I wouldn't have bothered. Plus there was no send the old one back issue for me. I've gone over to Paranormals now (2) for reg box mods, NO comparison. Different league altogether.

Agree about Smoant. They're so so, nothing more. For me anyways. Particularly irksome that they won't honour your warranty, more so given that on their forums they specifically said buying from 3F, AE and FT - no problem. Seems a case of left hand / right hand.

The Charon is ok, tips over at the drop off a hat though. Gonna run the current batteries flat to see if they've reduced their ridiculously high cut off voltage. I like it slightly more than the Cylon TBH but doubt I'll use it much, maybe in circumstances where I don't want to risk a Para.

Complaints about Cylon screen failure seem to be a daily occurrence on their FB group. Not just Cylons either.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Huh, well I just checked my email and got the Charon mini offer and two screens for my Cylon for shipping cost $25 via DHL.

I figure that is a pretty reasonable deal, so I am going to scrape $25 out of my savings account and do it.

Maybe my analogies, like "If I bought a washing machine from Sears OR Walmart, the manufacturer's warranty would not be affected by price, etc." Well, I like to keep that "who knows what may exit your very low balance savings thing happening" it's sort of a good deal.

I was very surprised, I like to think my passionate and lengthy emails did the trick WHO KNOWS but at least it's something REASONABLE plus I mean who turns down a mod for the cost of shipping, I guess I don't. LOL.

Okay, so Smoant is off my "hate" list, technically, but I would be rather wary about them in the future, plus I am (one day in the not too distant future) saving for a Dicodes mod, so it's not gonna be an issue. I sure hope I like the Charon but with the FDA being the FDA I won't be turning down a mod.

Thank you all for the directions! I'm shocked it happened but those were GOOD directions apparently,. LOL.

I'll update FB at some point. LOL.

Anna

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
Anna If your not going to use the screens, could I buy them ?
Both my cylons are in warrenty but I tossed the boxes and stuff so I am pretty much sol.
I asked smoant if I could just buy some screens never heard back from them.
I think I can replace the screens on my cylons with out much drama on my end.
Have a Great Vape.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think it would be petulant of me to say no at this point! For sure, PM me your address, I should get them sometime next week, etc. You can have them, although depending on their fragility and my work start date, if it's like more than a dollar to ship them I might have to ask you to pay postage, I have no clue how their packaged.

Also, be aware of the tenuous nature of the screens, if the mods aren't fixed well they may die on you too. BUT maybe do a factory reset and never touch the wallpaper I believe that was mentioned?

Anna

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Huh, well I just checked my email and got the Charon mini offer and two screens for my Cylon for shipping cost $25 via DHL.

I figure that is a pretty reasonable deal, so I am going to scrape $25 out of my savings account and do it.

Maybe my analogies, like "If I bought a washing machine from Sears OR Walmart, the manufacturer's warranty would not be affected by price, etc." Well, I like to keep that "who knows what may exit your very low balance savings thing happening" it's sort of a good deal.

I was very surprised, I like to think my passionate and lengthy emails did the trick WHO KNOWS but at least it's something REASONABLE plus I mean who turns down a mod for the cost of shipping, I guess I don't. LOL.

Okay, so Smoant is off my "hate" list, technically, but I would be rather wary about them in the future, plus I am (one day in the not too distant future) saving for a Dicodes mod, so it's not gonna be an issue. I sure hope I like the Charon but with the FDA being the FDA I won't be turning down a mod.

Thank you all for the directions! I'm shocked it happened but those were GOOD directions apparently,. LOL.

I'll update FB at some point. LOL.

Anna

Glad you finally got a better resolution. I see they've just launched the Naboo mod too. That'll be a pass :D

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread