Throat Burn from a new e-juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedudeist

Apr 22, 2018
I'm using the smok devilkin, and i acquired a new e-juice, crunchy squares. 3mg (0.3%) nic, about half the time i take a hit it burns my throat at varying levels. Very unpleasant, twisting the cap and shaking it a bit seems to help for some reason. It hasnt happened with other flavors. Any idea why this is happening? is the e-juice faulty or something?
edit: 70vg/30pg, its what most of the juices i vape are at.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Is there a burned taste or is it just harsh?

If opening the fill cap on your tank makes it go away then you could be having a wicking issue.
Either your coil is bad, your vaping at too high a wattage, the liquid is too thick, chain vaping and not allowing coil to wick up more juice before next vape, etc.

Basically, if your coil isn't wicking fast enough and you open the fill cap, it breaks the vacuum and 'floods' the coil with liquid. Because the wick is dry you don't get gurgling because the wick soaks it up.

Everytime a coil is hit when it is slightly dry or drying out it will wick less efficiently each time.

First thing I would do is change coils. Prime new one with liquid, fill tank, and let it sit for a few minutes before using it.
Then turn wattage way down and vape. Gradually increase the wattage until you like it and aren't getting dry or harsh hits.

Last edited:

Thedudeist

Apr 22, 2018
Feels like ranger is on to something here.
Its not the same as the throat hit you expect, where as for the most part, a throat hit makes you feel some sort of pressure that's pleasant, right? In this case its just a burn. The flavor is totally fine, but the burn is there, almost as if its too...hot? If its the wick, this means i got another bad coil -___-. Well, next time i switch out, i have a few new mesh coils, so perhaps these will work out better.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Try taking a straight pin and lightly poke the cotton in the slots of the coil you're using now. Not a lot and don't go crazy.
You just want to loosen the cotton a tiny bit. It's not wicking because the cotton is packed too tight.
Bear in mind that if you loosen the cotton too much your tank will leak.
So go easy.

Other way is to take a few primer pulls each time before firing.

Thedudeist

Apr 22, 2018
Try taking a straight pin and lightly poke the cotton in the slots of the coil you're using now. Not a lot and don't go crazy.
You just want to loosen the cotton a tiny bit. It's not wicking because the cotton is packed too tight.
Bear in mind that if you loosen the cotton too much your tank will leak.
So go easy.

Other way is to take a few primer pulls each time before firing.
what is a primer pull?

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
ooo, that helped. i tried loosening it as you said, but not entirely certain how to loosen it outside of making a few holes and moving it around.
If you are talking about putting holes in the wicking with a thin needle, usually one hole straight in works. When I've done that I twist or spin the needle so it slides in more easily without pushing the cotton around. Don't over do the holes or too much juice can come in and flood the coil.
Also be wary of dislodging the coil itself when doing that.
I guess this is actually a slightly different method than was mentioned above.

• Useful

Thedudeist

Apr 22, 2018
If you are talking about putting holes in the wicking with a thin needle, usually one hole straight in works. When I've done that I twist or spin the needle so it slides in more easily without pushing the cotton around. Don't over do the holes or too much juice can come in and flood the coil.
Also be wary of dislodging the coil itself when doing that.
I guess this is actually a slightly different method than was mentioned above.
another thing to try, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread