Throat hit and chain vaping pen??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCarr

Sep 27, 2019
Hey guys! I'm new here so thanks for having me! I have been vaping for 2 years now.

I am looking for a good system that can give me that throat hit and stand chain vaping at times. I had been using the Smok Nord and that was working really well, but it recently broke so I was recommended the Orion Lost Vape DNA. I prefer small mods and pens, but really need that throat hit since I started vaping once I quit cigs.

Salt Nic juices have helped a ton with that hit but with the Orion my coils are burning out in like 3 days? Lowering the wattage levels take away that throat hit, too. :(

What do you guys recommend?

THANK YOU!! :)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Welcome to ECF :)

I'm not familiar with pen devices personally, someone who is will be along shortly I'm sure. But - salt nic decreases throat hit. If you're looking for more of a throat hit, I'm surprised you're finding salt nic helpful? The purpose of salt nic is to decrease throat hit so that people who need to vape a higher nic concentration can do so without it being uncomfortable.

In general, using higher nic will increase throat hit. Higher PG can help with that as well. Certain flavors also pack a punch in and of themselves, though, I'm not familiar off-hand with which flavorings can be useful in that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

MCarr

Sep 27, 2019
Welcome to ECF :)

I'm not familiar with pen devices personally, someone who is will be along shortly I'm sure. But - salt nic decreases throat hit. If you're looking for more of a throat hit, I'm surprised you're finding salt nic helpful? The purpose of salt nic is to decrease throat hit so that people who need to vape a higher nic concentration can do so without it being uncomfortable.

In general, using higher nic will increase throat hit. Higher PG can help with that as well. Certain flavors also pack a punch in and of themselves, though, I'm not familiar off-hand with which flavorings can be useful in that way.

Interesting!! I was using normal juices with my nord and once I switched to salt nics it made the throat hit way harsher! I'm going to look into the Higher PG! Thank you!

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Interesting!! I was using normal juices with my nord and once I switched to salt nics it made the throat hit way harsher! I'm going to look into the Higher PG! Thank you!
Curious - when you switched to salt nics, did you increase the nic as well? Or did the mg/ml remain the same? Were the PG/VG ratios the same?

MCarr

Sep 27, 2019
Curious - when you switched to salt nics, did you increase the nic as well? Or did the mg/ml remain the same? Were the PG/VG ratios the same?
Oh good point...I guess I did go up on the nicotine quite a bit. I don't know why I never thought to check that haha. The juice was 3mg and the salt nic is 35? Maybe thats whats going on here. lol!

I do want to add that the Orion just still isn't giving that throat hit without burning the coils so I think I'm going to need a new vape that does what I need!

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Oh good point...I guess I did go up on the nicotine quite a bit. I don't know why I never thought to check that haha. The juice was 3mg and the salt nic is 35? Maybe thats whats going on here. lol!
Yep, definitely. If you were to compare 3mg salt nic with 3mg regular nic, I'm confident you'd find less throat hit with the salt nic. But since it's that much stronger, you're getting more throat hit from your salt nic juice.

So you could consider switching back to regular nic and increasing the nic level. Otherwise, try out higher PG, higher wattage, etc. :)

Glad you've joined our family. Happy to have you here :)

MCarr

Sep 27, 2019
Yep, definitely. If you were to compare 3mg salt nic with 3mg regular nic, I'm confident you'd find less throat hit with the salt nic. But since it's that much stronger, you're getting more throat hit from your salt nic juice.

So you could consider switching back to regular nic and increasing the nic level. Otherwise, try out higher PG, higher wattage, etc. :)

Glad you've joined our family. Happy to have you here :)
Thank you so much for your advice!! I'll try out different PG's and nicotine levels!

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
What exactly were the VG/PG ratios of the two juices (and please use the letters VG and PG... many people get them backwards... drives me nuts) This also has a big effect on the coils (VG = thicker, PG = thinner) What coils are you using?
Also, vape devices don't care if it's "freebase" or "salt" nic (that's marketing BS)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
If your looking for a great TH, try 18 to 24mg regular nic, as for a pen or pod that can maintain chaining while not burning thru coils, not sure if your going to find that.....perhaps once you try a 24mg regular juice in your pod, you might not feel the need to chain (besides TH, that's the purpose of a high mg juice, to not chain vape). If you still feel the need to CV, I think you might need to move up to something a little more suited for bigger and longer inhales

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

MCarr

Sep 27, 2019
What exactly were the VG/PG ratios of the two juices (and please use the letters VG and PG... many people get them backwards... drives me nuts) This also has a big effect on the coils (VG = thicker, PG = thinner) What coils are you using?
Also, vape devices don't care if it's "freebase" or "salt" nic (that's marketing BS)

The salt nic juice was 50VG/50PG and 35mg nicotine. (this one worked great in the Smok Nord, good throat hit) The freebase juice was 70VG/30PG 3mg nicotine which was way too soft, but I do remember 6mg nic was too sickening.

I have tried the 0.25ohm and 0.5ohm coils that the Orion came with! Same quick burning, little flavor and no throat hit with both.

I'm thinking if I had a 50/50 3mg juice or maybe 6mg it would have a better throat hit? Would this also help with the coils burning so fast since the absorption rate is faster?

MCarr

Sep 27, 2019
If your looking for a great TH, try 18 to 24mg regular nic, as for a pen or pod that can maintain chaining while not burning thru coils, not sure if your going to find that.....perhaps once you try a 24mg regular juice in your pod, you might not feel the need to chain (besides TH, that's the purpose of a high mg juice, to not chain vape). If you still feel the need to CV, I think you might need to move up to something a little more suited for bigger and longer inhales

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You're totally right I think! I liked the idea of pods being easy to take with me, but It might not be the right thing for what I need. Might have to upgrade to a bigger and better mod and tank!

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I watched a review... very interesting device. You use software to control wattage setting (super cool) but you could easily make some mistakes with that. Have you rechecked those wattage setting (and boost)? Are you waiting (after filling) to vape? I would wait 10 minutes and still do a few "primer puffs" (draw air without hitting fire button) before vaping. What about airflow adjustment? I'm not sure about VG/PG ratio on this... try 65VG/35PG (a good compromise) Let the coil cool between vapes... don't just keep hitting it one after another. Personally, I don't care about throat hit, but many people say it's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread