Throat Hit Comes & Goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still learning the ins and outs of vaping. I've been vaping about a week or so off and on (off while waiting for my juice, on since I've got it), but I've found something a little odd that I hadn't yet read about. A little background first.

I ordered 16mg Camel flavor from Totally Wicked (after a review from here, I might add). Well, my first few hits of the day feels heavy. I get some serious throat hit and cough up chunks of lung (figuratively speaking). Then it gets smooth and it seems there's no throat burn at all. So I put it down for awhile. I come back to it later, once again, the first few hits are killer and then it seems I get "used" to it and the throat hit disappears again. I'm not talking amounts of vapor. A tiny wispy hit has the possibility of getting me coughing and feeling spicy, just as much as a big thick cloud of fog. On the other hand, sometimes that big thick cloud of fog feels like Sunday-Afternoon-Easy.

So... huh?!

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Still learning the ins and outs of vaping. I've been vaping about a week or so off and on (off while waiting for my juice, on since I've got it), but I've found something a little odd that I hadn't yet read about. A little background first.

I ordered 16mg Camel flavor from Totally Wicked (after a review from here, I might add). Well, my first few hits of the day feels heavy. I get some serious throat hit and cough up chunks of lung (figuratively speaking). Then it gets smooth and it seems there's no throat burn at all. So I put it down for awhile. I come back to it later, once again, the first few hits are killer and then it seems I get "used" to it and the throat hit disappears again. I'm not talking amounts of vapor. A tiny wispy hit has the possibility of getting me coughing and feeling spicy, just as much as a big thick cloud of fog. On the other hand, sometimes that big thick cloud of fog feels like Sunday-Afternoon-Easy.

So... huh?!

Zendruid-are you using PG --what you are descibing seems to be a combination of coming off analogs and getting used to PG--It takes a while to adust, but from what you describe, it appears you do not have an allergy to pg, rather just adjusting to coming of cigarettes---Sun

Thanks, Sun, that's good to know. It is PG and Glycerol, and I don't think I have an allergy. If I did, I would think it would have shown up by now. From what you say, it seems like a fairly normal or even common process. I have snuck a scant few analogs since I started vaping, but methinks I'm closer to being analog-free.

TW lists it's ingredients on it's bottles, which is nice. I was surprised to find lots of ingredients, and I'm a little worried about what I might be inhaling. Granted, it's got to be better than analogs, but I'm hoping it's not dangerous. I'm really hoping that "Tobacco lead oil <5%" is a typo.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Thanks, Sun, that's good to know. It is PG and Glycerol, and I don't think I have an allergy. If I did, I would think it would have shown up by now. From what you say, it seems like a fairly normal or even common process. I have snuck a scant few analogs since I started vaping, but methinks I'm closer to being analog-free.

TW lists it's ingredients on it's bottles, which is nice. I was surprised to find lots of ingredients, and I'm a little worried about what I might be inhaling. Granted, it's got to be better than analogs, but I'm hoping it's not dangerous. I'm really hoping that "Tobacco lead oil <5%" is a typo.

Zendruid--Sure hope that is in fact a typo too--LOL--vaping a little lead would be rough!!!!--Sun

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Throat hit comes and goes, in varying strengths, for me as well.

In the morning I usually get a big kick like you. After a while it seems to fade a bit. Later in the day if I change liquid it comes back. Then fades again.

Also, sometimes the throat hit is heavy but smooth, and other times it's light and scratchy, which I hate.

I'm not really sure why it changes so much for me. I am guessing there are a number of variables; atomizer cleanliness, liquid strength, type of liquid, how much and how loudly I talked that day or the previous night etc....

I'd love to get it down to a science and consistently recreate the type of throat hit I like, but I have had no luck so far.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
I'd love to get it down to a science and consistently recreate the type of throat hit I like, but I have had no luck so far.

I built one of those Magnum mods for pen-style atomizers. While the
'beast' give super throat hits and huge vapor clouds, the flavor and throat hit eventually tails off. Nothing works better than taking a break to reset the mucosal linings of the respiratory tract.

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
Yup. The nicotine itself tends to numb the mouth . . . the more you vape in a sitting, the less you tend to feel the throat hit.

There was a thread not that long ago where a couple of people were saying they got a great throat hit from JC 0 mg liquid. If what Julie says is correct maybe we should all be trying to get shot of the nicotine.

Hangar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009

So... huh?!

sounds to me like its an atomizer problem, where its getting too hot to output good tasting strong vapor. I have the same problem with my 401...the first few drags are good but then after a few minutes of vaping it the taste and throat hit quickly diminish as the atomizer builds up heat drag after drag....if you put it down for 5 minutes then come back it springs back to life, but this is unacceptable most of the time for me.

You can easily test this theory for yourself by having 2 of the same ecigs sitting side by side...when 1 starts getting "weak" switch to the other (cool) one and youll see that you can still taste the vapor and feel throat hit like normal.

The atomizers get too hot on some of these models. Ecigs really need to be re-engineered/designed before they will give truly consistent powerful performance IMO.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The atomizers get too hot on some of these models. Ecigs really need to be re-engineered/designed before they will give truly consistent powerful performance IMO.[/quote]

Who ever comes up with a consistent strong atomizer, a long-life battery and some form of vial/spray liquid delivery system will become rich. I think in 5 years we will look back in amazement that we were all the guinea pigs.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
I agree with the inconsistency of throat hit and I use a screwdriver. If it has to do with the nicotine's effect on the mouth linings, then why doesn't the same thing happen with analogs? I think we are all looking for the consistency of analogs.

So far with my SD (2days) I get a throat hit with every draw..............

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Honestly, I think it's a combination of things . . . but I do believe the nicotine does play a part.

With my SD, I would get the most consistent throat hit, but even with that, it would fade after after awhile, only to come right back after I vaped no nic solution for awhile then spiked with nicotine solution. Same experience with my Dura-C. To me, that would suggest that the nicotine is the primary culprit, not the atomizer.

HOWEVER, I don't think the nicotine is the ONLY part of this equation. I get a better and more consistent throat hit with the Dura-C and the SD than with a regular DSE901 or my Kissbox, and that has nothing to do with the length of a vaping session or how high my nic concentration is.

Someone could make an awful lot of money if they figure this one out. :)

It's really interesting to read all these theories and assumptions. I'm starting to like vaping more and more, as it reminds me somewhat of my pipe-smoking days. Tinkering and tasting, experimenting with draw techniques, with equipment.

If anyone else has a couple pennies to throw in, feel free! I bet we're hitting on or around the culprit(s) of throat hit. Who knows, we just might help someone become a millionaire! Don't forget us little people!

ruby10002

Apr 16, 2009

So... huh?!

I find that continuously puffing on mine decreases the strength of that "throat kick" as well. I have to admit that I do "abuse" it at times out of habit but most of the time if I use it just as I would my real cig when I smoked them, they work a lot better and I constantly get that hit we all know and love.

Then again, if you are using Totally Wicked, I knwo that they carry some potent stuff so maybe a higher level of nicotine might work better for you. I know the 36mg gave me instant satisfaction and "vaped" a lot less when I was using that stuff. 2 or 3 hits of that would do the trick immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread