Throat hit is kicking my ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bssage

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
Iowa
I had to go ahead and loan out my Atombomb to see if a bud could get it working right. He is having the same problem as I am. I have both a Atombomb and a Line v2 (which is out in the line repair black hole).

Anyway using the 400 mesh Kandthal A32 starting with 3/4 wrap moving all the way up to a 6/7 wrap. Reducing the nic in my juice from 24 to 10. I just cant seem vape with these things.

The flavor is unreal good. The vapor is significant But the throat his is like "creeper weed" (so I heard) It seems to expand in my lungs until I cough like a fiend. The flavor is the best I have ever had.

I am using a gripper and a Turbo VV. Pretty much ran the gambit of available voltages.

I have had to go back to carto's which I can use my full strength juice with no problems.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Bryan

bssage

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
Iowa
Are you making sure the air hole in the cap is lined up with the coil?
Yes I am. Of course on the line V2 it lines up where it is threaded to with little adjustment. But I absolutely place the air hole on the Atombomb directly next to the wick.

I am picking up what you all are putting down. But do you all think its "too much" or "not enough" ? I can create a larger hole in the Atom bomb. But of course reversing that would be less than optimal.

I am also wondering if the thickness of the rolled wick (size of ID) would create this situation.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this, but this happens to me all of the time, for one of two reasons: The first is that my wick is working really well, and my coil isn't keeping up, causing the juice to boil off and vaporize less-completely. It still produces lots of vapor, but the vapor is not all atomized and visible. The only way I found to cure this was to increase the surface area of the coil on the wick by switching to 28 gauge- in a pinch, you can do some pre-burning before you take a hit, to get the wick and coil nice and warm.

The second reason this may be happening is if you somehow got the wick all soaking wet with water, and didn't dry it completely before loading juice. When you vape H2O, it is completely invisible, but believe me when I say it hits you like a ton of bricks! This will cause a massive increase in throat hit, and a dramatic decrease in vapor production until you burn through the water left over in your wick.

Either way, it sounds to me like you've got some "invisible vapor" issues, which at least for me, happens every once in awhile. It's unavoidable if you have a really well-wicking system.

Edit: a 3/4 wrap works well with 32 gauge, but I prefer low-resistance setups over high-voltage ones. a 6/7 wrap is overkill with 32, which might explain why the juice isn't vaporizing properly. I know it's counter-intuitive, but you want the coil to heat up enough to be able to atomize your liquid so that you can "see" it, as well as feel it. :)

Last edited:

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I think some of your coils are running hot.....they are loose....not making enough contact with the wick. Get all the juice out of the tank. Do some dry burns until the coils start glowing. I bet the top or the top two coils are glowing like crazy compared to the rest of the coils. You need to adjust your coils....look at Zen's video on provape to learn how to adjust your coils perfectly.

bssage

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
Iowa
Ok thanks. When I get it back I will give these suggestions.

V Ninja. I kinda suspected what your are describing. I have had the issue (to a much, much lesser degree) with carto's intermittently. I found that the carto's I have had the trouble with were typically leaking. I had been searching for a way to describe what your saying. I think some the juice is atomized but not vaporized. I suspect that the atomized (atomization needs no heat component) expands in much the same way the scent of a perfume would. Creating the "Creep" or cough. I think your push helped me to figure how to describe it. And know that others had experienced similar results.

About the coils: with the 3/4 or 4/5 I was getting about 1.8 to 2.0 of resistance (measured from the "gripper") with the higher coil count I was able to raise this to a solid 2.2 -2.6. I guess I am not really grasping the concept of what is going on.

I have evolved to the point that my coils look very neat and heat evenly. Use of the Atombomb with the movable posts was a big improvement for me wrapping the coils.

So I take it noone suspects the ID of the wick is adding to the problem?

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I'm only half of a scientist (literally), so yeah, you're right about my terminology being a bit off- but I think you're on the right track.

As far as the coils and the wick: The width of the wick just amplifies its ability to wick- I first noticed the over-wicking problems on a monster 100mm wick in my AGA. So, in a roundabout way, you're correct that the diameter of the wick is contributing to your problems. ;)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I'm only half of a scientist (literally), so yeah, you're right about my terminology being a bit off- but I think you're on the right track.

As far as the coils and the wick: The width of the wick just amplifies its ability to wick- I first noticed the over-wicking problems on a monster 100mm wick in my AGA. So, in a roundabout way, you're correct that the diameter of the wick is contributing to your problems. ;)

How in heck did you get 100mm in an AGA-T? Did you drill out the hole? About the most I've got is about 75mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread