throat hit is one thing...but whoooo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttercrunch

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Oregon
....choking is another!!! I have noticed others have also had problems with KR cartomizers.. I'm convinced it's a factory juice/QC issue, not a fault of any supplier. the carts I have ripped my throat apart!! like vaping drano! well maybe not that bad, but bad!! Had a friend give it a try and after one inhale, he made a choking noise, turned all red and bent over, then coughed so hard I thought he was going to pass out. that bad. (he's still angry at me) So I know it isn't just me.
I've had my 808 for about a month. I REALLY love it, but haven't been able to use these KR cartomizers. I would try every couple days but every attempt led to violent hacking and coughing from even a gentle inhale. they were so harsh the vapor actually choked me as soon as it hit my throat. terrible taste, and essentially no vapor, other than a little bit from the primer puff. They even occasionally crackled and spit hot juice onto my tongue. anyhoo, I knew there was something horribly wrong, because so many people love them..and no normal person could tolerate, let alone love, that level of punishment from an cartomizer. Yeah, I could just throw them away and continue to use my lovely GC carts, but was curious about the "normal" KR cart experience that so many enjoy..And the atomizers seemed to be functioning fine, so, over the last few weeks, I've read every post, I tried everything. I also experimented with some ideas of my own and last night finally got 2 of my 15 "torture" carts to produce vapor and the best part, I vaped for about an hour until I needed to add juice and all for that hour I didn't even consider calling 9-11 because I was choking, not even once! YAY! no pain, no violent hacking, okay flavor, and they still have that unpleasant perfumey odor, but.. VOILA!!!! An acceptable amount of vapor!.. Not a ton of vapor, but hey...I'm spoiled by my 510's. Finally, a small glimmer of what everyone loves about the 808 carts..... I think maybe my next move will be to buy blank carts, fill them with some high quality juice and I'll hopefully, finally, be able to finally join the KR cartomizer fan club.

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
That's wild. I gave a friend at work a battery, PCC, and several different 24mg cartos to try.

He's a fairly heavy smoker and never vaped before, except for the one day he borrowed my 510 for a few hours.

He's really excited about this and never coughed once. He believes if he can get his first-thing-in-the-morning-nic-fix, he will have found his way to quit smoking.

Everything I gave him is from vapor4life.

Taryn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Florida
My boyfriend and I were both pack a day Mar Red smokers, I use the 24mg carts and on my first draw I did about cough up a lung. But then I just took gentle sips until I eased into nice long soft slow draws, no more coughs. My boyfriend on the other hand cannot even take in a tiny sip without coughing hard. Same Carto, same battery. I'll be ordering some lower nic cartos next time and see if that helps him, of course then I'll have to share more!

I have no idea why he coughs worse than I do, he actually smoked more analogs a day than I did. My only guess is that I would smoke them faster, deeper draws so maybe my lungs can handle things a bit harsher?

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
What strength are you vaping? The 0 nic and 8mgs are pretty tame. Nice flavor but no throat hit to speak of. If you are vaping 24mgs then yeah! lol Those are pretty harsh depending on the flavors.
I would have to agree with that too... For me 24mg hits too hard on most flavors...and I was a 1.5 to 2 pack a day smoker... So yes if you get too high of nic for your taste than yes you may have a bad experience.

Another possibility that is if you are taking many hits an a short session and get the cartomizer too hot then it may produce a harsh hit as well.. and then the suggestion is to switch between 2 carts through out the day.... this is of course all speculation since we don't know the exact encounter, but this is based off of past experiences...

Hopefully you find the right thing or as you say maybe the GC is for you

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Oh no! I just orderd 36mg. Now I'm scared of choking on them :(
Don't worry, just mouth hit (inhale to the mouth not to the lung) for a bit if it is too harsh...then you can cut it with a lover level nic liquid... don't worry it may not be that bad for you its all subjective anyway...

besides... if it is tooo harsh maybe someone will trade with you or something..... I just hope you didn't order 100 carts hehe

buttercrunch

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Oregon
ya never know,geeker, have faith, they might be just perfect for you.
my grandpa smoked no-filter lucky strikes for years, and once I saw him taking huge gulps of worchestershire sauce straight out of the bottle. no way!!! gawd....his throat must have been steel reinforced!
I guess I must be a "low throat hit/high vapor production" person. these were 16's and 24's, but I still think these particular carts had to have been filled by someone having a really bad day at the factory. First hint was that they were almost bone dry when I opened them up for the first time. I honestly don't know what was in them. nothing like any juice I've ever tasted. I should have boiled them right from the start!!

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
ya never know,geeker, have faith, they might be just perfect for you.
my grandpa smoked no-filter lucky strikes for years, and once I saw him taking huge gulps of worchestershire sauce straight out of the bottle. no way!!! gawd....his throat must have been steel reinforced!
I guess I must be a "low throat hit/high vapor production" person. these were 16's and 24's, but I still think these particular carts had to have been filled by someone having a really bad day at the factory. First hint was that they were almost bone dry when I opened them up for the first time. I honestly don't know what was in them. nothing like any juice I've ever tasted. I should have boiled them right from the start!!
Ohhh THAT;s the other possibility is you just ended up getting a dud batch... that is definately one result of a nasty hit...a dry cart...

jayhawk

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2009
Kansas
You could always run them under hot water and blow thru both ends until they are clear. Then just ad your own juice. What flavor (s) did you have ? I have found any flavor other than marlboro really harsh.Virginia,camule,kent,ry4,clove these flavors to me were just disgusting but there are others who love them, to each his own.

buttercrunch

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Oregon
ummmm..fruit flavors.no clove or tobacco flavors..oh sheesh, I peeled off the stickers , except for the black ones. there's pretty shiny metal under there~I'm not a fan of the wild colors....I know some were fugly green and some kind of mustard colored, if that helps, LOL, I remember pineapple, vanilla and I think grape?? I honestly can't remember for sure at the moment (brain dead from halloween candy sugar coma). dang, maybe they were valuable antique mutant cartomisers, 00h I coulda sold them on e-bay as collectors items and been rich!!!!
I blew! I blew and blew and rinsed and blew some more! (haha) really did try everything.....I added juice, ick! I rinsed them w/hot water, still ick..squirted vodka thru them, still ick..yelled bad words at them, shook them, soaked them, blew them out, let them dry for a few days, etc etc...jeez I need to get a life!!....boiled them, got them drunk on cheap vodka, blew again still ick..boiled them, let them dry for a few days..I finally got all the the ick (but not that artificial perfumey smell) out of two of them. I'm going to toss the rest and start from scratch.

Moonstruck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
It really sounds like you got some bad cartomizers. But throat hit is really subjective. I use mostly 24mg and at times would prefer a stronger throat hit. But others have tried my cartos and I thought they were going to cough their lungs out. So it's really an individual experience I think.

I have now identified around 15-20 flavors that I absolutely love and probably the same number of flavors that I hate. I like some of the fruity flavors, but then some taste like perfume in your mouth. I keep a spreadsheet of my favorites and where I got them. Pear flavor from one vendor does not necessarily taste or vape the same as pear from a different vendor.

I also tried rinsing out the "perfumey" ones, and it didn't work. I couldn't get rid of that awful perfume taste. So I just tossed them.

I really wish we could just order one cartomizer when we want to try a new flavor.

Just started using mine today... The Grape 36m hit pretty hard the first couple of drags, but then calmed down. The Caramel 36m is still hitting very hard after 10-12 drags (almost no taste on this one). *shrug* doesn't seem too much worse than the first couple of hits off a cigar or pipe (yes, I've inhale off cigars and pipes).

RICK55FLA

Sep 27, 2009
cen fla
It really sounds like you got some bad cartomizers. But throat hit is really subjective. I use mostly 24mg and at times would prefer a stronger throat hit. But others have tried my cartos and I thought they were going to cough their lungs out. So it's really an individual experience I think.

I have now identified around 15-20 flavors that I absolutely love and probably the same number of flavors that I hate. I like some of the fruity flavors, but then some taste like perfume in your mouth. I keep a spreadsheet of my favorites and where I got them. Pear flavor from one vendor does not necessarily taste or vape the same as pear from a different vendor.

I also tried rinsing out the "perfumey" ones, and it didn't work. I couldn't get rid of that awful perfume taste. So I just tossed them.

I really wish we could just order one cartomizer when we want to try a new flavor.

This is my main problem also,,,coughing up a lung and the perfume taste.
I have it with both the 901auto and the 510 manual. I'm going to order soem empty carts and some other juice.

Anybody recommend a juice with ahs no perfume flavor????????

Dale.s

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Houston, Tx
I bumped this because nobody gave any suggestions

Look 2 posts up.

Code:
Best juice around is dawns at the diyflavorshack, she is just amazing

Edit: Just to clarify, ive used around 60% of her juices so far, shes got too many flavors to try all at once! Not one was "perfumey" every one tasted as described, so any juice, of any flavor type or style from dawn will work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread