Throat hits cause throat itchiness and constant coughing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sovereign110

May 19, 2017
Wisconsin
I remember it didn't take long for me to get used to smoking while not coughing, but I've been vaping now for a few weeks and this refuses to go away.

There's this itchy part in the back of my throat, that when vapor passes by (usually as I'm exhaling through the nose) it flares up the itch and makes me dry cough. Even when I'm not vaping, I'll have random mini-fights of coughing throughout the day, caused by that same itch.

The persistent itch didn't show up until a couple days after I started vaping. I used to smoke 24mg liquid but have since switched to 6mg, and both liquids are 70/30 VG/PG so it's not a high-PG liquid or anything.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do about this? It's starting to really piss me off lol

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I remember it didn't take long for me to get used to smoking while not coughing, but I've been vaping now for a few weeks and this refuses to go away.

There's this itchy part in the back of my throat, that when vapor passes by (usually as I'm exhaling through the nose) it flares up the itch and makes me dry cough. Even when I'm not vaping, I'll have random mini-fights of coughing throughout the day, caused by that same itch.

The persistent itch didn't show up until a couple days after I started vaping. I used to smoke 24mg liquid but have since switched to 6mg, and both liquids are 70/30 VG/PG so it's not a high-PG liquid or anything.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do about this? It's starting to really piss me off lol
What tank and coils are you using and what power? Have you tried different flavors? I have a friend who does the same thing when he tries to vape, so you may have a sensitivity to something in the juice or pg or VG.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Just to test, since pg/vg are the same, try a different flavor or even flavorless from the same brand of juice. Also if you have changed hardware in any way, that can be a factor.

Try MTL or DTL see if you still cough.

If the flavor you cough with comes in a candy or other food product, try a bit of that, see if that makes your throat itch too. If so, it's that flavoring.

Reactions: David Wolf

sovereign110

May 19, 2017
Wisconsin
Also if you have changed hardware in any way, that can be a factor.

Nah I'm just using whatever the eGo AIO has by default.

Try MTL or DTL see if you still cough.

It's pretty uncommon for the inhalation to cause me to cough. Whichever ROA I use, it's the exhalation through my nose that causes a cough 90% of the time.

If the flavor you cough with comes in a candy or other food product, try a bit of that, see if that makes your throat itch too. If so, it's that flavoring.

Watermelon doesn't irritate my throat in any way, thankfully 8)

Yeah I read that earlier. I experimented with most of the suggestions. My liquid is already only 30% PG, is that still high enough to cause this kind of throat problem? Also, I don't think I've smoked for a long enough time to the point where it'd affect my throat in any substantial way.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Theoretically ANY PG is enough to cause PG irritation.

Okay it's watermelon flavor. Is it PG, VG or alcohol based flavoring? Is it natural or artificial? All factors that might be the culprit here.

Does citric acid irritate your throat, like if you drink too much lemonade or orange juice? That watermelon flavoring might have citric acid in it.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Welcome @sovereign110 and I hope you enjoy your stay!

First I would like to say it is allergy season so that could be a possible cause but if symptoms persist I would suggest you get an opinion from a License Medical Professional and not try using the forum or the Internet as a Diagnostician.

I am not a doctor and do not play one on TV or the Internet.

Reactions: CMD-Ky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread