Throat Hurts and coughting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GattHF

Oct 13, 2018
Hello there so I made my decision and I would like to try to quit smoking cigarette's so I have just bought a vape but the problem is overtime I take a puff it make me caught and my threat hurts and I'm not sure why even tho the vape is only set on 30.0 w is it because of the liquid I'm using or what exactly? I'm using Leaf Ikonn 220 mod, any suggestions please?
Thanks

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :)

Looking on the net the ikon kit comes with the Ello atty which has both mtl and dL coils

Offhand it Could be a couple things:
1. You’re using a mtl cartridge at dL wattage so everything is burning
2. You’re using mtl juice in a dL mod so the nic level is way too high
3. You didn’t correctly prime the coil so the coil burnt

There may be other possibilities as well.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. Now, pg/vg levels in the juice; what tank are you using; and what is the resistance of your coil? If this is your first attempt at vaping, your draw and inhaling is vastly different, for newcomers, from smoking. Take a small drag, hold it in your mouth and exhale through your nose. The vapor is not smoke and the particles are larger.

GattHF

Oct 13, 2018
Howdy and welcome :)

Looking on the net the ikon kit comes with the Ello atty which has both mtl and dL coils

Offhand it Could be a couple things:
1. You’re using a mtl cartridge at dL wattage so everything is burning
2. You’re using mtl juice in a dL mod so the nic level is way too high
3. You didn’t correctly prime the coil so the coil burnt

There may be other possibilities as well.
yes but I'm not using the tank that came with it, I'm using the Slider 2 tank 0.5 omh, ML2, 30-100W, I have uploaded a picture of the liquid I'm using and tank as well

Attachments

• IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 28

GattHF

Oct 13, 2018
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. Now, pg/vg levels in the juice; what tank are you using; and what is the resistance of your coil? If this is your first attempt at vaping, your draw and inhaling is vastly different, for newcomers, from smoking. Take a small drag, hold it in your mouth and exhale through your nose. The vapor is not smoke and the particles are larger.
its my first time to vape yes and ham using the thank slider 2 its specs is tank 0.5 omh, ML2, 30-100W

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
yes but I'm not using the tank that came with it, I'm using the Slider 2 tank 0.5 omh, ML2, 30-100W, I have uploaded a picture of the liquid I'm using and tank as well
Nic level might be a whisper high but not too terribly bad. That’s about what I vape DL. Most people vape about 6mg/ml in DL.

That leaves burned coil as a remaining possibility. How did you prime your coil? I’m not familiar with the slider coils and different coils have different priming requirements.

One more thing: starting with a DL vape might not be the best choice for someone just getting off smokes. DL means direct lung. You inhale into the lungs directly. It’s possible that if you might get on better with a mtl (mouth to lung) setup that more closely resembles cigarette smoking. DL is mostly for people who are not satisfied by mtl vaping

GattHF

Oct 13, 2018
Nic level might be a whisper high but not too terribly bad. That’s about what I vape DL. Most people vape about 6mg/ml in DL.

That leaves burned coil as a remaining possibility. How did you prime your coil? I’m not familiar with the slider coils and different coils have different priming requirements.

One more thing: starting with a DL vape might not be the best choice for someone just getting off smokes. DL means direct lung. You inhale into the lungs directly. It’s possible that if you might get on better with a mtl (mouth to lung) setup that more closely resembles cigarette smoking. DL is mostly for people who are not satisfied by mtl vaping
to be honest the girl at the store she did everything for me so dam not quite sure how she did it :/ also I don't even know if my vape is dl to mil how would I know that? and yeah some friends recommended to me to try some more liquids with lower nicotine

GattHF

Oct 13, 2018
I vape at 20w. Anything higher than that and I get the reaction you describe. I can't manage the high watt massive cloud huffing I see all over YouTube. Maybe you just need a gentler approach.
when I vape at 30 theres just a little vapor coming out can't imagine vaping at 20 there would be no vapor at all at 20w as my tank is 30-100w :/

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
it's normal at first when vaping to cough...vaping isn't like smoking....also with vaping you don't actually have to inhale to absorb the nic, you can hold it in your mouth and then exhale....
throat irritation could be due to high nic level or burnt wick....for me I can't do high watts, i usually stick to 10 - 15w sometimes 20w....at 30w I can do a few direct lung hits before it starts irritating me
reading through I see you are using a .5 ohm coil at 30w, try turning your watts down to 20w and see if that doesn't help some...
what is the nic level of the juice you are using? Also what is the pg/vg of the juice?
Typically a higher pg gives more throat hit whereas a higher vg gives more vapor and less throat hit
also higher nic can give more of a throat hit
how long have you been using your current coil, usually after a week you want to replace them, if they look gunked up or the wick is burnt or you get a burnt taste it's probably time to change the coil

GattHF

Oct 13, 2018
it's normal at first when vaping to cough...vaping isn't like smoking....also with vaping you don't actually have to inhale to absorb the nic, you can hold it in your mouth and then exhale....
throat irritation could be due to high nic level or burnt wick....for me I can't do high watts, i usually stick to 10 - 15w sometimes 20w....at 30w I can do a few direct lung hits before it starts irritating me
reading through I see you are using a .5 ohm coil at 30w, try turning your watts down to 20w and see if that doesn't help some...
what is the nic level of the juice you are using? Also what is the pg/vg of the juice?
Typically a higher pg gives more throat hit whereas a higher vg gives more vapor and less throat hit
also higher nic can give more of a throat hit
how long have you been using your current coil, usually after a week you want to replace them, if they look gunked up or the wick is burnt or you get a burnt taste it's probably time to change the coil
Thank you for your reply the juice im using is 10 mg/ml im not sure about ng/vg thingy as its not written on the liquid box, I don't cought from 20w but rarely visible vapor at 20w :/ also I just got the vape yesterday

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
to be honest the girl at the store she did everything for me so dam not quite sure how she did it :/ also I don't even know if my vape is dl to mil how would I know that? and yeah some friends recommended to me to try some more liquids with lower nicotine
The classic definition is anything under 1ohm is sub ohm and therefore DL. In practice there is some variance though. There are MTL atomizers like the nautilus 2 that remain mtl even with .7ohm coils. Mtl atomizers produce a smaller volume of denser vapor and have a tight draw (you have to suck harder to get vapor out) and behave generally more like a cigarette. Because they produce less vapor they generally use much higher nicotine content liquids. I for example use 20mg/ml when I vape MTL. The suggestion of a lower nic content juice may work. If your coil is burned your coil is burned though

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
when I vape at 30 theres just a little vapor coming out can't imagine vaping at 20 there would be no vapor at all at 20w as my tank is 30-100w :/
hmm. Is your air vent open? A closed air vent would explain everything.
One other question: it appears there is more than one type of atty with the slider name. Is this the slider by totally wicked by any chance?

• Agree

GattHF

Oct 13, 2018
hmm. Is your air vent open? A closed air vent would explain everything.
One other question: it appears there is more than one type of atty with the slider name. Is this the slider by totally wicked by any chance?
fully open and yes the tank and the liquid is from totally wicked
Slider 2 Tank

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
fully open and yes the tank and the liquid is from totally wicked
Slider 2 Tank
No the atomizer. There are two “slider” RTAs totally wicked has one which usually means it is a renamed something else, and one by fogworx which is a completely different device

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
20-25 is perfect for me but the problem is there no much visible vapour at all at that watts
Did some more hunting online. The slider 2 is totally wicked only and it uses nautilus coils so what you’ve got is a mtl atty there. If you want to chuck clouds you need an actual DL atty.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
20-25 is perfect for me but the problem is there no much visible vapour at all at that watts
Let the gear cool down a bit. I looked at the tank you linked and it says it is mouth to lung, so why they are giving you sub ohm coils is funny to me. We usually call MTL with coils at 1.0 ohm or higher and sub ohm coils used in Direct To Lung under 1.0 ohm. Both of the coils on the link are sub ohm. If you have another coil, look to see if you can see the writing on it and tell us what it says.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread