Thumbs down to true Joye 510 cartomizers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4g3rb0mb3d

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just got some true Joye 510 cartomizers from Totally Wicked, and I'm really disappointed by them.

I bought 5 of the them, with the standard ....bacco flavor (fully knowing that ahead of time), and was stunned to see that they are completely made out of plastic. I popped it onto my Icon and began vaping them so that I could vape out all of the existing juice and fill it with better tasting juice. Within 5 puffs, I was vaping plastic and that horrible tobacco flavor.

Strike 1 called against the burning plastic.

The form factor for this cartomizer is horrible. You need to use a syringe to fill this guy after removing a cap and a plastic stopper, almost identical to the eGo cartomizers. Obviously, this isn't conducive for on-the-go filling. It was forgivable for the eGo cartomizers because you could fill an eGo cartomizer up with 2.5 mL's of liquid, but it isn't for a standard cartomizer that holds only 1 mL. There's no way in hell that I'm going to haul around an opening tool like a bent paper clip and a syringe to fill. I definitely don't want to be caught in the public eye with a syringe. I'm really apprehensive about that.

Strike 2 called against the horribly inconvenient filling method

Lastly, the metal adapter actually broke off of the plastic housing the first time I unscrewed it from the Icon. This thing lacks the durability to be used for an extended amount of time. I don't want to put it in my pocket for fear that the plastic housing would crack off and leak all over my cellphone and keys. The plastic seems to be rather brittle, more-so than a standard 510 cartridge. This is nitpicking here, but the plastic is also really shiny, and doesn't match up well with my media blasted Icon.

Strike 3 called against the durability of this cartomizer. These things are out.

One other thing that seemed to annoy me about these cartomizers is that they are significantly longer than the BOGE or SLB 510 cartomizers. That's due to the space needed for the awkward filling method. About 1/3 of its' length is dedicated to that. If you could cut off the filling port, it would probably be as long as a BOGE or SLB cartomizer. Either way, it makes a compact device like the Icon much longer than it needs to be.

The only saving grace for this cartomizer is that it actually gives off really decent vapor. It is definitely on par with the BOGE's or SLB's. Since mine cracked open, I did get a chance to look at the internals, and it loooks like it has an actual atomizer at the base of the cartomizer, minus the steel bridge, with additional fibers that help wick the liquid from the polyfil.

One other side benefit emerged after the cartomizer broke open. I suppose you could drip-fill the polyfil, because it is exposed when the atomizer is broken off of the housing, much like filling an M401 cartridge. I won't be doing that because, once again, I'm fearful of the brittle plastic cracking off of the atomizer and spilling juice all over what's inside my pockets.

I see no benefit to these cartomizers. With the BOGE's and SLB's, I can pop the soft cap off with my teeth and quickly refill them. BOGE's and SLB's also contain no plastic that could burn, and SLB's actually have a layer of cotton (which doesn't burn at the coil's operating temperature) around its' coil to insure great flavor. Sometimes the BOGE's burn the polyfil inside of them, but it's definitely not like the flavor of burning plastic, and that only happens when the polyfil is dry. I have yet to have a single BOGE or SLB cartomizer break open on me due to the fact that they are constructed from a more durable material (aluminum, I think).

I won't be buying them again, especially now that my new moated 510 Icon adapter's threads now accept BOGE and SLB 510 cartomizers. The remaining four Joye cartomizers that I have will end up in my car and in my school bag to be used in cases of extreme emergency.

The old saying goes, "Don't fix what isn't broke" or "Don't try to reinvent the wheel". Joye came up short with these things.

5010460413_728e427c43_z.jpg

j4g3rb0mb3d

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've only had good luck with the GenJoye Cartomizers. Sorry they didn't work for you.

I hope it wasn't my review that caused you to waste your money. I kinda feel bad.

Oh no, nothing like that. I was legitimately interested in trying these out when I first heard that Joye was going to be making standard 510 cartomizers. I did watch your review, but only after placing my order.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Oh no, nothing like that. I was legitimately interested in trying these out when I first heard that Joye was going to be making standard 510 cartomizers. I did watch your review, but only after placing my order.

Inconsistencies is very common in this market, that is the sad part. I was gifted some E2s (V1 & V2) they are not for me. The V1 had a funky taste, the V2 is alright but nothing to write home about and the XL had a veeeeery strong petroleum taste to it. I did not inhale but it did not go away, so I tossed it.

Don't knock yourself sheet happens.

bassthumper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2010
TN
Yeah that doesn't sound too appealing. Thanks for this.

I got some of the E2 THIRD revision cartomizers (no filler, no primer, ceramic bowl) and for once they are working very well. NOT a plug n' play cartomizer by ANY means. A NOOB should totally stay away from these because it will be hell on earth for them- but once figured out they are freaking awesome. Tastes like dripping and the XL's hold 2mls of liquid and hits like a standard atty @ 5v!

The Boge (chrome threaded) cartomizers always worked for me however. None have ever given me a problem, and I've had a TON of them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread