Thunder Power Rampage 70C 1800mAh 3S LiPo Pack Bench Test Results...only 11C/31C, but ok performe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, LiPo pouch, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells or packs at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell or pack has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max", then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

IMG_4832.JPG IMG_4833.JPG

Bottom Line
    This Thunder Power Rampage is overrated (for its factory rating) but it is an ok performing pack.

Its internal resistance is a bit higher than the average of the other packs I have tested, resulting in a bit of extra voltage sag, but the consistency between the cells in the two packs was the best of the packs I tested. Discharging this pack at its 126A (70C) current rating would quickly bring the voltage down to about 9V. This pack's 126A (70C) rating can't even be called a pulse rating.

CAUTION: LiPo's use the most volatile of the Li-Ion battery chemistries and can cause extreme injury if abused. Never use a LiPo unless the cells, wraps, wiring, and connector are in perfect condition. Never exceed the CDR of the LiPo unless you understand and accept the risks involved. You are responsible for your own safety, be careful!

My Ratings
    Capacity = 1800mAh
    Continuous Discharge Rating (CDR) = 20A (11C)
    Average Pack IR = 24.0mOhms
    Average Cell IR = 6.6mOhms
    Dimensions/Weight = 103 x 33 x 25mm/ 156gms

IR = Internal Resistance
    mOhms = milliohms

Continuous-Current Test Results
    IMG_4837.PNG

Pulse-Current Test Results
    IMG_4816.PNG IMG_4817.PNG

Comments
    CDR = Continuous Discharge Rating. The nearest 5A-multiple of constant-current continuous discharge current that brings the inner cell of a 3S pack to a temperature of 60°C. This is what the LiPo assemblers recommend as the max running temperature so it makes sense to use it as the rating. Especially since the inner cell will be hotter internally than this temperature, perhaps considerably.

Links
    LiPo ratings table: LiPo Pack Safety Grades and Performance Table | E-Cigarette Forum

To see how other packs and cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread