TIFU - I vaped Ti in Wattage/Power mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshatdot

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
Pacific North West
So last night I had a few drinks, and wanted to rebuild on my Tobeco Velocity. I didn't know, but I grabbed the ziplock bag with my TC wires (Ti 26ga, and Ni200 28ga).

I didn't take a close look, and assumed it was a my leftovers bag of NiCr80 26ga & NiCr80 28ga. I built Ti 26ga dual 8 wraps, 2.5mm ID .. and I thought it was NiCr80, which whould be around 0.4-ish. After I built & installed them, I aligned & strummed the coils, and proceed to wick & saturate them. After it was all done .. it was reading 0.17. I was like "WTH?! Maybe the coils are touching and weren't strummed enough." I vaped for about 3-4 draws @ 3.70v, and then again at 3.95v about 3-4 times. I checked the ohms, and it was 0.23 now.

It didn't cross my mind to check for Ti wire .. and I assumed I made the coils with FeCrAl (Kanthal A1). So I checked the coil calc site, to see what the ohms would be with FeCrAl. It it was FeCrAl, it should be about 0.5 ohms. I checked again to see if I somehow built the coils with 24ga in either NiCr80 or FeCrAl .. nope.

After about 10 mins of me trying to figure out what was happening .. it dawned on me. I built these coils with Ti!!! When I checked steam engine coil calc .. YEP! Dual 8 wraps of 26ga Ti, 2.5mm ID would be 0.17 ohms.

I did not let the Ti wire get glowing orange or anything .. but I did vape Ti in Wattage mode for about 10 draws. Am I in any danger from vaping Ti in wattage (from 3.70v to 3.95v)?

edit: I tossed them in the trash, fearing I ruined the Ti for any TC vaping .. you know thinking of saving them for TC.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Am I in any danger from vaping Ti in wattage (from 3.70v to 3.95v)?

I really don't think your health is any danger, but it's not advisable, so in the future, don't drink and coil. :)

And label your ziplock baggies clearly to avoid future mishaps.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread