Time to split up the RBA forum in to seperate forums for RDAs and RTAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Yep good idea.

Split now into three:
- general RBA
- rda
- RTA

Could use some stickies with basic info, if anyone wants to help. Like: [for the rda board] current list of RDAs, links to useful coil builds for RDAs, common issues and resolving them, mechmod vs regulator issues, link to online calcs like Steam Engine, good/bad battery choices, and stuff like that.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Can we get a Genesis section as well? I understand they are RTA's/RBA's by definition, but I think they are unique enough in design and function to warrant their own section, especially considering how niche they are in the vaping community,

Maybe it's just me, but I find it odd that everything else is getting placed in to an appropriate category while Genesis' are kind of left with nowhere to go, and I don't think they should be thrown in with the RTA's that are enclosed systems

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
And "Dripper-tanks", where there is a tank, but liquid only gets added when you pump the head.

ETA:

Like:

Zero-Gravity http://www.angelcigs.com/zero-gravity-style-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer-rdta-rda.html
Big Dripper https://www.fasttech.com/p/1896002
Malan https://www.fasttech.com/p/1819100
M8 https://www.fasttech.com/p/1777100
GS-H11 https://www.fasttech.com/p/1754802

Lots of interesting stuff in this category (and a bit of crap, too.....)

ETA2: And yes, Genny's deserve a spot of their own!
(Always have to laugh when a thread gets moved out of "tanks" because that's ONLY supposed to be "carto-tanks! Might have been a descriptive title when it started....)

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA

How many of those are on the market? (I don't mean clones, but different designs)

as long as it's more than 2-3 (including redesigns), I think it should warrant a section of it's own

I edited my post to add a bunch (before I saw your post). None of these are clones of each other (many of them might be clones of something else, if so I never knew about the originals).

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
OK gennys is done.

I don't know about RDTAs at the moment. If we can find a bunch of threads about them then maybe that will work.

First we just need to clear all the RBAs and then RTAs out of the main board and see what's left. Not many people know exactly which is what, so that may take some doing.

If anyone is up for it, we need a sticky in the main RBA board that explains some of this stuff. For example something like this:

------------------------------
List of RBAs, types, and history

Here is a list of RBAs with the class they belong to, and some history.

History of RBAs
The first RBA was made by xxxx and this was followed by xxx.
It was of the xxx class. They first used SS wicks ........etc
etc

The fred xxx designed the ......... etc

RBA Types and examples

RDA

RTA

Genny

RDTA

------------------------------

And another one on coils and wicks, if you have the strength left :)
History of that is interesting.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Hopefully this will be a decent start; I will update this as I go along, and I encourage anyone and everyone else to contribute. I do not know everything nor do I claim to; all I can do is offer the knowledge that I do know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is an RDA?
RDA stands for Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer. What makes RDA's unique is that they do no feature a tank to hold liquid; you are required to drip juice directly in to the deck of the atomizer, which is where your coils and wicking should be situated.

An RDA is typically made up of a 510 connection at the bottom with a build deck right above it, an outer sleeve that slips over the deck (normally this is where your airflow control would be), and a top cap that slides in to the top of the outer sleeve.

Why do people use RDA'S? Put simply, it is the most efficient way to produce flavor and vapor due to the fact that the vapor has very little room to travel. It goes right from the coils, through the top cap, and in to your mouth and lungs.

A few examples of RDA's would be:

A)
B)
C)

History of RDA'S-

What is an RTA?

RTA stands for Rebuildable Tank Atomizer. An RTA is unique because you are required to build your own coils on the deck thus allowing you to adjust and fine-tune them to your liking, whilst also having a tank or reservoir to store a set amount of e-liquid. An RTA feeds the coil at the bottom of the chimey. As opposed to an RDA where one is required to drip every so often, you can fill a tank that will last you a while in an RTA while still getting good flavor and vapor from building and customizing your coils to suit you. Another thing that makes RTA's unique is that they are closed systems: the only place it can leak is from the airflow control, and that is unlikely if built correctly.

Why do people use RTA'S? They offer the best of both worlds. You get to build your own coils to your specific liking, whilst still having a tank that feeds the coil. It is a great balance of both performance and convenience.

Examples of RTA's are:

A)
B)
C)

History of RTA's

A genesis is technically an RTA because it does indeed have a tank, but it is classified on it's own due to the fact that it is not a closed tank system, and the build deck sits on top of the tank as opposed to below it. Wicks run down through holes in the deck into the tank, drawing juice to your coils.

Why do people use Genesis? They offer the performance of an RDA due to the fact that the vapor only has to travel through a top cap and in to your mouth and lungs, whilst maintaining the tank of an RTA. Personally I consider Genesis' to be a hybrid of RTA's and RBA's. However they are open systems, and thus are prone to leaking if not kept upright and not wicked correctly.

Examples of Genesis' would be:

A)
B)
C)

History of Genesis:

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
I prefer all of the rebuildables in the same place. I use both types and don't see why they are different, I build them mostly the same, use the same type of wicks and coils, but maybe that's just me

It just seems too cluttered to me. If someone needs some troubleshooting, now they won't have to weed through loads of irrelevant material.

The section just for Genesis RBA's is a great idea. Building a genny is a whole different ballgame than any other RBA for sure.

I agree completely, hence why I suggested it, The feeding system is unique enough to warrant it's own section imo.

I want to classify RDTA's as RDA's, but I'll probably get crucified for trying to. It doesn't seem unique enough to get it's own section, yet it fits in both RDA and RTA category.... ugh 1st world problems, am i right?

Last edited:

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
History of Genesis:

If I remember right, the genny stuff really took off thanks to this guy: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/132663-all-my-mods-part1-2.html#post2092776 (there is some brief explanation of the concept by another member and a link to the original German forum the concept was first posted about in detail on in post #49 of that thread, as well as a lot of other good reading . . . a lot of nostalgia for the old-timers ;-) )

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I want to classify RDTA's as RDA's, but I'll probably get crucified for trying to. It doesn't seem unique enough to get it's own section, yet it fits in both RDA and RTA category.... ugh 1st world problems, am i right?

Yeah, RDTA's really don't seem to get much attention; and if they're going to get their own section, then would bottom-feeders also need one? (In some sense they might share, since both involve the concept of a dripper head with a separate tank-feeder. But the Reonauts might get upset!)

I am a bit surprised that the RDTA concept hasn't really been a huge hit. Perhaps because it's still in its infancy, and a lot of the early versions didn't perform well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread