RDA Tip for users with MXV2 & Question about post screw size (M2.0x4mm or M2.5x4mm?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
TL;DR at bottom for those who don't want to read history and just want a tip for their stripped triangle key or know the answer :p.

So I got my Mutation X V2 about a month and a half ago... And it has been the only rda I've used since then. That being said, I normally rebuild at least once a day out of sheer boredom or experimentation... It got to the point where my triangle key couldn't tighten down any gauge wire to where it wouldn't wiggle. I kept hearing others having success with screws from other attys... Yet of the other 8 I own none did >.< I hate(d, we'll see how this fix works) the screws for ruining an otherwise great atty. Frustrated and desperate to fix it, I picked up my jewelers clippers and snipped the few millimeters that was stripped off. All I can say is wow... It's a lot better now. Not only is it (obviously) not stripped anymore but since it's bulkier it fits a bit better and I haven't had it spin on me yet once, even when tightening down 20g. That being said, I still hate having to keep track of that hard to replace odd little key rather than being able to use a screwdriver... I've asked this question multiple times and people either tell me M2.5x4mm or M2.0x4mm (I know jack .... about screws and their measuring units btw so this is just regurgitated information). Which one is it? (For the authentic I think, got it on ebay from a guy with good rating, came in authentic box with extras n' stuff so yeah ^_^ ) Thanks in advance!

TL;DR:
Stripped your triangle key for the posts? Clip just the stripped part off with your heavy duty kanthal clippers, it'll work better than new since it's wider and fits the screw head more securely.
Also, what's the post screw size? I keep hearing M2.5 & M2.0 both x4mm... Which one? :p

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
I would just take it to a hardware store and try some out, most places have those small screws sitting loose in some kind of bin/drawer.
I just got a MX V2 (my first rda) about a week ago and I too am worried about those triangular screws and losing that small key. I haven't tried it, but it looks like you may be able to use one of those small flat head eyeglass screwdrivers on it. Besides that it's an awesome atty, I have a single coil 1.1 ohm build in there and it kills. Definitely raised my interest in RDAs.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Oct 13, 2014
MD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsXC7y0Tyk4

I'm not sure if you seen my post, but this is what I did with that little key to be able to handle it better, and I did the exact same thing you did a little after making this, but it was by mistake, the end of the head was wore out when i got it and it happened to break off in the screw and amazingly that side of the key was now worth a damn, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread