Tip: How to squeeze out drops, no mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ourei

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Hawaii! Yay haha
This is something I learned from reading the instructions on a bottle of medicated eyedrops. Because they are expensive, there's a technique on squeezing out the drops, so that you don't waste any of the liquid.

When squeezing out your e-liquid, hold the bottle upside-down, not sideways.

Now squeeze out the drops you want. After the last drop, stop squeezing, and make sure the bottle is upside-down, not sideways. You'll see that any liquid on the tip will get sucked back into the bottle. Now turn the bottle right-side up and you should be able to put the cap back on, and avoid the e-liquid oozing all over the threads, and getting all inside the cap.

Happy vaping, everyone!

tazzmann

Accessories Supplier
ECF Veteran
LOL, this is EXACTLY the way I do it now. I had a messy problem with some thicker liquids running down and getting the the threads and eventually on the side of the bottle getting all over my fingers. After doing a couple of DIY's, I figured out about holding it upside down. Now, no more mess!

Great tip!

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
I know of a better technique actually. You need some space in the bottle (air space) but just a little. While the bottle is upright with the cap off, squeeze out the extra air, then, while still squeezing turn the bottle upside down and squeeze out the amount you want, while still squeezing, let go a little at a time while turning the bottle back upright. Haven't wasted a drop since I started doing this.

Sorry if I re-posted the same thing you just typed, OP, but the way you typed it doesn't sound like it's the same thing, although I may be wrong.

CooL_SpoT

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Trenton, Ontario
For anyone that's wondering, here's why this works. For fluid to escape a container, an equal amount of air has to enter the container to fill the extra space. Think of sucking on a pop bottle when you have the entire opening covered; the plastic collapses. That's because no air is being allowed to enter the bottle to replace the space vacated by the liquid. If you hold the bottle sideways, the liquid flows out freely as air flows in freely, above the liquid. This is exactly what is happening with your dropper-tips; holding the bottle sideways allows the liquid to flow along the bottom of the spout while allowing air to flow in the bottle along the top of the spout. Thus your e-juice drips out freely, causing a mess.

If you hold the bottle vertically, upside-down, the e-juice takes up all the space in the spout and doesn't allow any air into the bottle, thus the e-juice can't come out. This changes when you squeeze the bottle, because you're effectively collapsing the bottle the same way the pop bottle collapses. Once you release the pressure on the bottle, air is sucked back into the bottle, forcing the e-juice back into the bottle with it while effectively sealing the spout against leaks. You can hold that bottle upside-down for an hour and it won't leak (theoretically, mind you, I don't recommend trying this).

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread