Tip of tongue sore. Vape related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
Thought it was due to liking my morning coffee hot but recently I loaned some of my beginner gear (couple ego/evod combos, CF4 mod, iClear tank and about 20 samplers) to a friend. He is a mtl smoker and I wanted to give him a chance to try vaping for a few weeks to see if at all interested. So I checked with him after a week to see how he's doing and he mentions tip of his tongue has gotten sore which got me wondering. I run 1.3 to 1.8 ohm coils under 10 watts and vape about 3 ml 12 mg juice daily. I quit smoking entirely over a year ago unlike my friend whose goal is to cut down rather than quit so he is dual using.

Am familiar with vaper tongue but was under impression that was more of taste issue than this symptom. Have noticed some juices with a bite (like cinnamon) tweak it more than a fruity vape but it just doesn't seem to ever go away entirely. Is this a tootle-puffer issue? Is a minor inconvenience but kinda curious if it is common.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
the other thing that can happen is if your atty is spitting juice drops in your mouth and one is hot enough to burn you. there will probably be gurgling in the atty if this is the case. This sort of thing usually happens when the atty is either overfilled or leaking.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Could also be a raised tastebud. He's getting hot and sweet focused on a narrow part of his tongue. Ask him to look close in the mirror and see if one of his tastebuds looks whiteish or red, and raised up a little. Totally natural if this is the case, and it'll just pop off and heal. We shed tastebuds all the time to make way for new ones, sometimes they hurt.

I can never stop scraping it across my tooth when I get one. No idea why. "Ow, yep it's still there. Ow, yep, it's still there..."

Anyway, hope that's all it is.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Could also be a raised tastebud. He's getting hot and sweet focused on a narrow part of his tongue. Ask him to look close in the mirror and see if one of his tastebuds looks whiteish or red, and raised up a little. Totally natural if this is the case, and it'll just pop off and heal. We shed tastebuds all the time to make way for new ones, sometimes they hurt.

I can never stop scraping it across my tooth when I get one. No idea why. "Ow, yep it's still there. Ow, yep, it's still there..."

So that's what those weird bumps on my tongue were XD well i'll be damned ! The more you know :p

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan

Thanks for that explanation, Victor. I always wondered what that really annoying and painful thing on my tongue was and I do the same thing. "Ow, yep it's still there. Ow, yep, it's still there..." I hate that.

I also get that sore tongue thing. I tend to chain vape and I still smoke, so I probably deserve it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No sore tongue from vaping here, not that I can recall. Maybe when I started out with a sub0hm setup, but honestly everything was so dreadful with that, I may not have missed a sore tongue. Am agreeing perhaps it's a rogue tastebud, but it does seem odd you both got that effect. Could the vape/flavor be pooling in a particular area of the mouth, irritating it? IDK, that doesn't seem super likely to me, this remains rather mysterious....

Anna

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan

Thanks for the info Victor. I looked in mirror and indeed there is a raised white spot about 1/8" diameter on the tip of my tongue. Looks like a small blister. Had no idea a person grows new bud under and sheds the old. Had I known years ago would have tried to save it and tuck under pillow for the Tongue Fairy...

Last edited:

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
It'll usually clear up in just a couple or a few days. If not, have it looked at. It was always described to me as a tastebud getting overstimulated and freaking out, hence the inflammation and pain. Usually they just shed without us even noticing. I find a hot vape or an especially narrow/focused stream from the drip tip can aggravate my tongue from time to time. My sour gummy addiction doesn't help.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
It'll usually clear up in just a couple or a few days. If not, have it looked at. It was always described to me as a tastebud getting overstimulated and freaking out, hence the inflammation and pain. Usually they just shed without us even noticing. I find a hot vape or an especially narrow/focused stream from the drip tip can aggravate my tongue from time to time. My sour gummy addiction doesn't help.

Glad you mentioned gummies. I bought a large bag of Jolly Ranchers a couple weeks ago. Those may have caused overstimulation in my case. Also tend to favor candy or dessert ejuices (Cinnamon, Candy Cane) more than others. Will make conscious effort to keep tip of tongue away from inlet during draw in future. Will also mention that to friend using my loaner kit. Thanks again for explanation.

Reactions: stols001

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
My mouth reacts like that to PG at some level. I don't know exactly how high the PG has to get but using a very small amount of flavoring won't cause it. I DIY to avoid the commercial mixes using PG. I thin VG with water to get the viscosity I need. The knowledgeable folks over in the DIY forum say one ml of water will thin VG as much as four ml of PG, so in 100 ml of juice I make I use seven to eight ml of water. My problem was solved.
I hope this is helpful.

Thought it was due to liking my morning coffee hot but recently I loaned some of my beginner gear (couple ego/evod combos, CF4 mod, iClear tank and about 20 samplers) to a friend. He is a mtl smoker and I wanted to give him a chance to try vaping for a few weeks to see if at all interested. So I checked with him after a week to see how he's doing and he mentions tip of his tongue has gotten sore which got me wondering. I run 1.3 to 1.8 ohm coils under 10 watts and vape about 3 ml 12 mg juice daily. I quit smoking entirely over a year ago unlike my friend whose goal is to cut down rather than quit so he is dual using.

Am familiar with vaper tongue but was under impression that was more of taste issue than this symptom. Have noticed some juices with a bite (like cinnamon) tweak it more than a fruity vape but it just doesn't seem to ever go away entirely. Is this a tootle-puffer issue? Is a minor inconvenience but kinda curious if it is common.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
My bite at the apple is that using a vaporizer no matter what one is a technique that very few newbies master right away. If they pull on the hitter like they pull on a cig then your going to get hot juice right into the mouth. I've seen many "let me try that" then pull like crazy, cough a lung up and complain its crap.
They have to learn things like ramp up time of the coil or how long it takes for the coil to produce a decent vapor and how long a pull should be before the coil gets too hot and overheats thus burning the wicking and most important how hard to pull. Its all techniques that must be learned first in order to get a good quality vape off a hitter.
I can see hot juice on the tip of the tongue from both pulling too hard and letting the coil get too hot from pulling too long.
edit..should add also that you start your pull slowly then increase the pull as the coil is heating up so the passing air cools the coil, picks up the vapor and not the hot half cooked juice instead that can make the drip tip hot and also burn the mouth.

Last edited:

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
My mouth reacts like that to PG at some level. I don't know exactly how high the PG has to get but using a very small amount of flavoring won't cause it. I DIY to avoid the commercial mixes using PG. I thin VG with water to get the viscosity I need. The knowledgeable folks over in the DIY forum say one ml of water will thin VG as much as four ml of PG, so in 100 ml of juice I make I use seven to eight ml of water. My problem was solved.
I hope this is helpful.

Not heard of this either CMD-Ky and want to make sure I understand. Instead of say a 50/50 PG/VG base, you can use an 8//92 water/VG base and it mixes and vapes fine? My nic is in a 100% VG base so this is something doable and would consider trying at least once.

As far as tongue goes, two days after my last post the blister disappeared and all is normal. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I remember this happening to me when i first started vaping and honestly, it was bad technique and poor vaping device. The liquid would splatter up on my tongue because i was drawing to hard and my tongue did this what your describing. I believe it was the nic irritating my tongue. Once i upgraded to a different device and that splatter went away, and me learning to not pull so hard on it when i inhaled, the sore tongue went away. Some devices just spit without you realizing it. I was using a really cheapo device though so no matter what i did it just happened. But it didn't help that i was pulling way to hard on inhale either.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    the-doctor-says-its-cooties.jpg

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Not heard of this either CMD-Ky and want to make sure I understand. Instead of say a 50/50 PG/VG base, you can use an 8//92 water/VG base and it mixes and vapes fine? My nic is in a 100% VG base so this is something doable and would consider trying at least once.

As far as tongue goes, two days after my last post the blister disappeared and all is normal. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

For me, I use 7 - 8 percent water to dilute 92 ml of 100 percent PG worked worked just fine. [I think that it must have also cured my cooties and my poor vaping techniques as well as fixing the poor products I was using. It was a miracle.]
    I learned of this in the DIY forum a couple of years ago and have done this since. I recommend you go there and ask around, those folks know a lot more than I, I am just regurgitating what they told me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread