Travel and Vaping Tips For Taking Your E-Cig Through Airport Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
My E-Cig itself has never been questioned. It's in an eyeglass case which I place in my computer bag while going through Security.

Passthrough's: Place your passthrough in some kind of plastic or cloth sleeve. Zig Zag the wire with the pass through, and push it into the sleeve. It will be neatly wrapped, and will not look suspicious.

TSA will notice a passthrough which is just laying loose in a purse or bag compartment, as a "tube with a wire in one end" They'll definately stop you to check it out. What they will do afterwards? I have no idea, it never happened to me.

Your juice should be no problem. A 30ml bottle of juice (1oz.) is well under the 3oz. limit. It has to go into the famous zip lock baggie. I suggest you double bag it with another zip lock bag. Roll it up, and place it with your other liquids. I double bag mine in case it leaks. I also remove the dropper, cap the bottle, and put the dropper in my shaving kit.

HAve a safe flight.
jd

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks for the tips, JD

Have never had an issue but I do pretty much what you do. Make it blend with the rest of the crap I carry with me :D

I travel by air 2 to 4 times a week. It's been quite a while since I was on an International flight though. I'm really interested to hear from other travelers, epically the ones who are traveling to the e-cig banned countries.

Vista Chris

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I wanted to share some of my traveling experiences too.

When it comes to airport security, if I have my kit in my back pack, it get pulled out and questioned every time. Never once have I been told it's "not ok", I just explain what it is and I'm on my way.

On the other hand, I have tried putting it in my laptop carrier bag. In that scenario, never even once has anyone pulled out the kit or asked any questions. It just passes right through.

I like talking about my kit and educating those willing to listen when I have time. If I'm in a rush, into the laptop bag it goes.

C

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I wanted to share some of my traveling experiences too.

When it comes to airport security, if I have my kit in my back pack, it get pulled out and questioned every time. Never once have I been told it's "not ok", I just explain what it is and I'm on my way.

On the other hand, I have tried putting it in my laptop carrier bag. In that scenario, never even once has anyone pulled out the kit or asked any questions. It just passes right through.

I like talking about my kit and educating those willing to listen when I have time. If I'm in a rush, into the laptop bag it goes.

C

It's great to educate people, but you *don't* want to try to educate the TSA Security people. I've been traveling for over 40 years, and I've seen some pretty weird things in security. You'll possibly get a stubborn one some day that will find an excuse to refuse passage. When the TSA is involved, it's best to keep your e-cig with the computer things, where it's buried among the other electronics. Don't push it, you may loose it.

Tye

May 21, 2009
Ok, i know this sounds bad but... I have get a lot of things onto a plane that shouldn't have been... I fly courier, therefor no space for baggage... stashing anything with electronics such as laptop/charger/cellphone and charger/ipod all in one bag looks like a mess on the xray machine, hiding a e-cig amoungst all that stuff is NO problem... And when asked about what it is a just say its a inhaler or other medicin delivery device... No one questions medical problems lol...

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I guess it didn't look suspicions , the only thing blocking x-rays is lead.. That would be a strange way to carry your e-cig.. The pen cap thing, is a favorite of mine, works well if you have the rite cap..

There's no need to hide you're e-cig. They're not banned. What you *do* want to watch is how you pack it. A passthrough especially. If your passthrough is sloppily packed, it's a tube with a wire. Under an X-Ray, it will have "detonator" written all over it.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I guess it didn't look suspicions , the only thing blocking x-rays is lead.. That would be a strange way to carry your e-cig.. The pen cap thing, is a favorite of mine, works well if you have the rite cap..
Well, I have been lugging my e-cig supplies with me for at least 9 months and I bet I've traveled at least 100K miles in that time going thru US and International security points without any problems.
Jim D travels as much if not more and I have not heard of him having any problems.
And I don't hide it or make it look like something else.

Here you go.

ptjd-albums-israel-picture1005-out-chicago.jpg

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Well, I have been lugging my e-cig supplies with me for at least 9 months and I bet I've traveled at least 100K miles in that time going thru US and International security points without any problems.
Jim D travels as much if not more and I have not heard of him having any problems.
And I don't hide it or make it look like something else.

Here you go.

Right - Trying to hide it may cause trouble, although i *do* keep an extra hidden away, just in case. The only thing I wonder about is the syringe. Sooner or later it mat cause a problem somewhere.

Check this out;

1/2 OZ BOTTLE W/NEEDLE TIP

I don't know the needle size though. My juice is pretty thick, and I don't know if it would flow.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Right - Trying to hide it may cause trouble, although i *do* keep an extra hidden away, just in case. The only thing I wonder about is the syringe. Sooner or later it mat cause a problem somewhere.

Check this out;

1/2 OZ BOTTLE W/NEEDLE TIP

I don't know the needle size though. My juice is pretty thick, and I don't know if it would flow.

Jim, I actually never carry a needle or syringe, brought it with me to prove a point and take a picture. The TSA is not looking for these things, how do they know if I am diabetic?
I carry sleeping pills/valium with me on International flights and they are not in a prescription bottle, never been questioned.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Jim, I actually never carry a needle or syringe, brought it with me to prove a point and take a picture. The TSA is not looking for these things, how do they know if I am diabetic?
I carry sleeping pills/valium with me on International flights and they are not in a prescription bottle, never been questioned.

I guess I'm just a little paranoid about carrying a syringe. As far as pills go, I do the same thing.

It's funny you should mention diabetic. I was going through security a while back, and TSA took a bottle of water from a woman. She said she needed it because she was diabetic, and they gave it back to her, no questions asked. Great system huh?

brew30

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
ROTHERHAM U.K
:evil:WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO HIDE IT ITS LEGAL FFS:evil:
There's no need to hide you're e-cig. They're not banned. What you *do* want to watch is how you pack it. A passthrough especially. If your passthrough is sloppily packed, it's a tube with a wire. Under an X-Ray, it will have "detonator" written all over it.

JLeigh

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks for all the info! I'm getting nervous about this as well as I'm going to be flying to another state in 2 weeks. I'm so nervous that I have contemplated shipping a bunch of stuff to my hotel (via USPS Priority) ahead of time just to avoid any potential problems. I don't fly often, I hate it, and this additional worry is putting me over the edge. 8-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread