To DIY or not to DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yolie

Nov 25, 2015
Hi all. Not sure whether this is posted in the right section or whether it's been asked before, but I thought, I know vapists and vapists like to talk about vaping whether they're repeating themselves or not :)

Basically I've been looking into making my own juices and I wanted to know what the real differences are between a DIY juice and a premium juice, ingredients wise. What are the overall cost differences? Is there a difference in the vape? Best way to get started? Methods?

I'm looking to start at the end of the month and I just want to take on board as much information as I can. So anything helps.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Your best bet is to ask questions on ECF's DIY sub-forum https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/diy-e-liquid/

DIY juice can be better or worse than premixed. It is as easy or hard as you'd like it to be. It all depends on the Y in DIY. The DIY sub-forum is active and has quite a number of helpful folks. Much better than the lack of interact inherent in the ATV sub-forum...

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
It's worth mentioning the savings in juice once you have your recipe and procedure down. I make 100 ml of juice for about $5 now. Before I started DIY I was spending nearly $80 a week on juice. It really did seem to me that the juice vendors were trying to make vaping as expensive as smoking, and I wasn't having any of that!

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I make juice for 3.5 cents/ml. But you have to buy VG/PG by the gallon and 100mg nic by the liter, and maybe flavoring by the 4oz bottle.

It is very very likely that commercial juice is made from the same stuff you can buy online. There is no magic nic, or PG or VG that they use. And most of the commercial makers probably use the same flavorings from Flavor West, TFA/TPA and Capella et al that we use.

Everyone should DIY because it takes all the magic out of it that the commercial makers try to put into it, in order to justify a 10x (+) markup from material cost. Not that I begrudge them their profit, it's just not necessary for those willing to put a little bit of effort into it. And unflavored juice has a nice flavor too, although you may never experience it buying commercial juice. They can't justify $1/ml for something that costs 1 cent/ml or so, and requires mixing 2 or 3 bottles of stuff together.

There is far more magic in baking or candy making :)

Reactions: Woofer

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It's one of the most cost savings (and health savings - if you know your ingredients) moves one can make in vaping. Find out what you like, then bulk buy**. Freeze nic and diluents (PG/VG) in glass with good caps, and keep flavorings in a cool dry dark place.

Agree with all the above, as well.

**Finding what you like is important, but that's flavoring, so you can still buy bulk in nic and pg/vg before nailing down flavoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread