To Pen Style or not to Pen Style????

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I use the 801/BE112 atomizers and cartomizers. BUT only on a better battery device such as a good 5 volt or variable volt PV. I think it is one of the best atomizers on the market but not on weak, little 3.7 volt batteries that come with a starter kit. Because of it's 3.0 resistence, it performs much better on higher volt PV's.

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
I started with an 801.They are really nice for thick flavorful vapor.The problem I had was leaking.It was very messy for me.I had to drip on the atty for it to work well and then it would leak.The vapor and flavor is amazing but you have to wrap it in a paper towel.I havent used one in over a year so maybe they have improved.Ill keep an eye on this thread to see what other 801 users say.

KMAR75

Jan 25, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I've gone through quite a few reviews and they all seem to be rather good. I like that there is a thick vapor, and a good th. That's what I'm missing with my 4081. While my 4081 is the same size as an analog, I'm just going through carts entirely too quickly. They don't hold alot of juice. I'll keep you posted on how I feel the 801 works out for me. I'm purchasing the Vapor Kings Classic DSE801. I'll also be purchasing some juice so I can start refilling my carts. I'm still new to this, so it should be interesting.
Thanks for your input keyzgirl and wv2win

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
So far not getting a very good th on this model. I'm hoping it's because of the new atty. I'm hoping!
As wv2win posted, standard 801 attys are 3 to 3.3 ohms (usually). On a 3.7 volt battery you are probably only getting about 4.5 watts. These seem to perform best around 8 to 9 watts so they need higher voltage.

The 801 series includes several different attys and each has a different airflow. Airflow can make or break the vaping experience also. Each variety of atty has its own "personality" in terms of airflow, flavor production, vapor production and Throat Hit production. The various attys in the 801 series are: 801, BE112, 302 and 4072. many, if not all, come in Low Resistance (LR) - usually about 1.8 ohms, Standard Resistance - usually around 3.2 ohms, and High Volts (HV or HR) - usually around 4.5 ohms.

If you plan to use these on a penstyle 3.7 volts battery, you want the LR version of the atty and you need to make sure the battery is over 480 mAh for use with LR attys. I don't have any penstyle batts so I do not know the mAh on those.

I use the 801 series almost exclusively but I use them around 5 (ish) volts with batteries that can put out the amps needed to maintain this voltage level = AW IMR batteries.

Additionally, if you put these attys on a device with a different native connection (E.G. 510) by using an adapter, there are many different adapters and each has different airflow. Nobody seems to focus on these adapter differences - most just assume an adapter is an adapter but this is not the case. I did a comparison of some 510 to 801 adapters to demonstrate this point. You can see that post here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...dapters-w-pics-airflow-attys-little-help.html

when it comes to vaping - there are so many different variables and they all combine together differently. Unfortunately, there is no "best" combo other than what is "best" for YOU. So, you have to try different devices, different attys, different batteries, different juices and different methods of delivering the juice to the attys until you find the combinations that work "best" for you. There are pro(s) and con(s) to each combination of variables and sometimes what might be "pro(s)" to one person might be "con(s)" to another person.

Hope something in this helps you.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I started with an 801.They are really nice for thick flavorful vapor.The problem I had was leaking.It was very messy for me.I had to drip on the atty for it to work well and then it would leak.The vapor and flavor is amazing but you have to wrap it in a paper towel.I havent used one in over a year so maybe they have improved.Ill keep an eye on this thread to see what other 801 users say.

Keysy, I have not had 801 series attys leak from dripping. If they leak - you may be over dripping. On a brand new one, I blow out the primer, put in 5 drops and vape. Then I use 4 drops per drip round and vape past the taste starting to demising and until I get the first hint of dry atty (some call this "dratty" - think VST put in the Urban Dictionary :lol: ) the trick, I have found, to not over-dirpping, is to make sure you are vaping out as much as you feed each drip round. Of course this varies with every atty style but what I wrote above seems to work well with all my 801 series attys. I think dripping is sort of an art (finding the point where we vape as much as we feed). If we feed 4 drops and vape 3 and then add 4 and vape 3, etc. you can see that there is a growing accumulation of juice. This will eventually flood the atty or just run out the bottom air-holes. So, as I said, the trick is to find the point where we vape as much as we feed = no leaks. This is the same for any atty but (compared to a 510 with the air-holes on the threads)the 801 is less likely to suck up excess (unless using a device with catch-cup and stealth adapter).

I have had 801 series leak only from bottom feeding but when bottom feeding, it is difficult to know how much juice you are feeding into the atty. If I don't vape it pretty dry - and then put is down, excess juice sometimes runs out the bottom.

PS - EDIT: when I am dripping into 801 series attys, as the taste starts to diminish, I take a draw or two without pressing the activation button to help suck juice back up towards the coil. Doing this helps me to make sure I am vaping the amount I am feeding so there is less chance of juice accumulating in the base of the atomizer. EDIT 2: If there is even the slightest gurgle when non-press drawing, you need to vape a bit more before feeding again.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
So far not getting a very good th on this model. I'm hoping it's because of the new atty. I'm hoping!

And as I indicated, you will NOT get good TH with an 801 with that battery. Put the same atty on a good 5 volt or VV PV and you will think it is a totally different atomizer. The BE112 version of the 801 is even better, if you drip.

Last edited:

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
kmar,
Most basic starter kits are usually rated 3.7 volts on the batts. Some actually put out less due to internal circuitry. Ask the vendor what the volts are and what the mAh rating of the batt is. If mAh is over 480, you can use an LR (Low Resistance) atomizer. Getting a BE112 may not be any different because it might be the same ohms. The airflow will be different, flavor will be a bit different and TH may be diff also. But, if still in the 3.0+ ohms range - it will not perform any better on the starter kit batt.

I know this can get confusing, especially for a beginner. Believe me, I am no Electrical Engineer! :lol: I had to learn as I went. But, basically you are looking for a combination of Ohms and volts that will result in more heat output from the atty coil. As I said, standard 801s and BE112s, etc are usually in the 3.1 to 3.3 ohms range. Using that on a 3.7 (possibly lower ~ 3.2 to 3.4 volts) will result in 4.5 (or less) watts (heat output) from the atty coil. If you use these same levels, the BE112 will not likely perform much better than what you have. Feel free to PM me if you want more help. There is also lots of info scattered around the forum about ohms, volts and watts.

Frankly, I have always wondered about the standard Penstyle kits (both 801 and 901) as I do not see those batteries being able to sufficiently power the 3.0+ ohms attys that come with them. And, most of those batteries are not over 480 mAh so they are not really strong enough to use with LR attys either.

The 801 series can be great attys (as I said, I use them almost exclusively). But, you do need to find the "right" (for you) power levels to get them to perform to their potential.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
How do I know what volt the batteries are? What do the standard starter kits come with? I'm confused....

Your penstyle starter kit is a 3.7 volt battery. Under load (using the atty), it may be puttin out 3.2 volts. It's just too weak to effectively heat an 801 atty. The BE112 atty will be just as ineffective on those batteries. 801's or BE112's work best on 5 volt or variable volt PV's.

KMAR75

Jan 25, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Sad to say that I'm more satisfied with the 4081 that I originally purchased. I was hoping that I would vape less, feel more satisfied after using the 801. This is getting so frustrating. I most likely should have purchased the Ego-T, and not worried about appearances. I didn't want to get something that less resembled an analog. I just want something that hits as strong as an analog and doesn't have a horrible taste. Is that too much to ask for? LOL
I'm just frustrated at this point.....

Timothy Cullen

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2010
Hanson, Kentucky, United States
kmar i understand that. for my first kit i purchased an dse801 from awesomevapor and let me tell i loved that sucker but at the time i had no idea of throat hit or anything like that. then i eventually returned for a refund so i could get a battery mod. it was 3.7 1200mah roughstack and while it worked and lr was great i just didnt get the feeling i wanted. thank fully now ive got a 5v tube mod and a vv on the way. the reason people suggest mods if you find the cig style batts lacking is just more power and life. yeah some are pretty and most are ugly but IMO they get the job done. what they are say in laymans terms is that the little cig style batt doesnt have enough power to heat the atty up like it should to work at full potential. egos are great and they work for a ton of people on the forum but without an adapter youll have to buy 510 atomizers becuase thats the threading they come with.
it is frustrating by all means with all the diff models and types out there but its well worth it when you find a setup that just works for you. trust me ive been through like 10 different pvs selling and trading just to find out i love 5vs and a vv model is just a must have in any vapors aresenal

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Sad to say that I'm more satisfied with the 4081 that I originally purchased. I was hoping that I would vape less, feel more satisfied after using the 801. This is getting so frustrating. I most likely should have purchased the Ego-T, and not worried about appearances. I didn't want to get something that less resembled an analog. I just want something that hits as strong as an analog and doesn't have a horrible taste. Is that too much to ask for? LOL
I'm just frustrated at this point.....

If you want it to "hit like an analog" or what I call the "inhaled feel" of an analog, then your only choice is a good 5 volt or variable volt PV. You would probably love the 801/BE112 on either of these type PV's, as I do. For 5 volt, I would look at the GLV2 (5 volt version) from: Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor or a 5 volt box mod from: Box Mods . For variable volt, I would suggest the newest in that line-up, the Darwin from: The Darwin (which should be available again next week) or the ProVari.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
An excellent penstyle thread here! Thanks to all, especially NebulaBrot (including your linked post on adapters)!*

* Harrumph! I used to consider myself a bit of an expert on penstyle attys. No more.:( Back to overview encyclopedias for me. Good to know that I can refer people to NebulaBrot and wv2win. [Well, I knew that about wv2win: You've been around since since Leaford's myna bird, Mike.:D]​

Unfortunately, that masterful work on adapters is of only academic interest to me: all my battery fittings are 901. This started when I abandoned the relatively wimpy 801 battery for the true 3.7V Kr8 batt, still using 801-compatible attys and providing the long, slender penstyle experience. So I kept choosing 901 fittings for my mods: ProVape-1 and now Infinity. The short 901/801batt-to-801atom adapters ($1) from GoodProphets work just fine with all these, but I've not tried others (since they're more expensive). Any experience with 901-to-801 adapters, NebulaBrot?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Leo yet. Although it is not compatible with any of the atomizers being discussed, it is an 801-type atomizer/fat batt combo ... and my all-time favorite: the smoothest, richest-tasting vaping experience I've ever had. [I described it in this review.] It's what I'm puffing on in my new avatar.

BTW, my favorite 801-compatible attys are the Joye302 and especially EastMall 801 (which I get from Vapor Junction here in the U.S.). ["DSE 801 Atomizer" not LR or HV.] Although not "LR", the EastMall's are lower resistance than standard 801-compatible attys and work quite well at true 3.7V. [My new variable voltage Infinity is allowing me to appreciate the Joye302 again. I just tweak the voltage up a little bit to get the hit I want from it.]

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
An excellent penstyle thread here! Thanks to all, especially NebulaBrot (including your linked post on adapters)!*

* Harrumph! I used to consider myself a bit of an expert on penstyle attys. No more.:( Back to overview encyclopedias for me. Good to know that I can refer people to NebulaBrot and wv2win. [Well, I knew that about wv2win: You've been around since since Leaford's myna bird, Mike.:D]​

Unfortunately, that masterful work on adapters is of only academic interest to me: all my battery fittings are 901. This started when I abandoned the relatively wimpy 801 battery for the true 3.7V Kr8 batt, still using 801-compatible attys and providing the long, slender penstyle experience. So I kept choosing 901 fittings for my mods: ProVape-1 and now Infinity. The short 901/801batt-to-801atom adapters ($1) from GoodProphets work just fine with all these, but I've not tried others (since they're more expensive). Any experience with 901-to-801 adapters, NebulaBrot?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Leo yet. Although it is not compatible with any of the atomizers being discussed, it is an 801-type atomizer/fat batt combo ... and my all-time favorite: the smoothest, richest-tasting vaping experience I've ever had. [I described it in this review.] It's what I'm puffing on in my new avatar.

BTW, my favorite 801-compatible attys are the Joye302 and especially EastMall 801 (which I get from Vapor Junction here in the U.S.). ["DSE 801 Atomizer" not LR or HV.] Although not "LR", the EastMall's are lower resistance than standard 801-compatible attys and work quite well at true 3.7V. [My new variable voltage Infinity is allowing me to appreciate the Joye302 again. I just tweak the voltage up a little bit to get the hit I want from it.]

Don, thanks for the additional information on 801 "type" options. I've been interested in trying a Joye 302 to see if it was significantly better than the BE112. Do you think there is much difference between the two if you are a "dripper"?

I guess I dismissed the Leo because of the incompatability issue and the 3.7 volt battery. But I did think it was a positive that someone came out with a truely "new" PV. Would you recommend the Leo to a new person as an "equal but similar" option to the eGo?

I'm waiting on my Darwin and hoping it is the last PV I buy for a long time. It will be my first VV. I just wish someone could solve the atomizer problem as I vew that as the true "weak link" in vaping.

And like you Don, I remember Leaford's bird. I wonder if he took it with him to China. Maybe we should plan to meet in the "Old Vets Home" for a round of bingo and vaping.:lol:

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Any experience with 901-to-801 adapters, NebulaBrot?
I just got my first 901 to 801 adapters from madvapes. I got them to try HV 801s on GGTB @ 6V unregulated. But I have not yet tried them.

I went to madvapes because as I was looking at vendors for adapters (had just received the GGTB with 901 connection); madvapes showed what looked like the "(1)" from my 510/801 comparison. I realized they were one of the first vendors I had purchased from, when I started buying vape gear, and wondered if that was were I got that "(1)" adapter. Sadly, when the adapters arrived, once again, the 510 to 801 was not the adapter depicted in the photo (common as stated in the comparison).

So, this will be my first experiment with 901 to 801 and the design is very different so the airflow will be very different.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found (not sure if they exist) an HV Joye 302. I have some LR Joye 302s that I have not yet tried. I stopped using LR 510, 306s and 901s because 3.7 just was not the same to me. I found the 8 to 9 watts vape more satisfying in the HV range.

wv2win, in the adapter comparison I think I included some of the airflow differences between the 801, BE112 and 302. I have not dissected these attys to see internal differences. What I can say is, for me, the 302 has the best flavor (when airflow is "right") compared to any atty I have tried. But, running them on HV, they do not maintain their optimal performance for long. After a few days the ohms drops about .5 (sometimes more) and that is usually the start of diminished performance. I am lucky to get a good week and then they really start to trail off. I like the BE112 next but haven't spent enough time with it to find its happiest volts level. When I get more of them, it will be interesting to experiment on Darwin.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Thanks for the info NebulaBrot. I much prefer the BE112 for dripping over the DSE801. But none of them last very long before performance drops considerably IMO. I've been using 801 cartos for the last month or two and although they also give out fairly quickly, they at least cost less. After using the Darwin, I am anxious to get one and experiment. I think my ideal level with the 801's on the Darwin will be 8.5 watts which I believe is right around 4.6 - 4.8 volts which also works well with the 801 cartos.

It sounds like you are saying that I would probably find a little better performance in the 302 but for a very short duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread