Not open for further replies.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Hi there!

I have a bit of a problem. I have been vaping now, analog-free, since November 28. Worked fine, but somehow, while I did not crave an analog, I did crave something. Until I remembered some really old boxes of snus (a previous attempt to cut down analogs) in the fridge. When I checked them, they were slightly past their due date, and rather dry. I put some into a glas with humidifiers (?) for pipe tobacco. (Another attempt to cut down analogs. Didn't work either.) And yesterday I stuffed my last analogs, because I still had a lot of tobacco here, and a friend who liked the resulting analogs, but couldn't stuff them for the life of it. End of story, I did manage not to light one of the analogs, but I did pop a pouch of snus.

And it was heaven! I had not even noticed how much I had missed that something until I got it. Although it still tasted vile (and hardly better for being still somewhat dry and old), I felt like I had gotten an overdose of perfect chocolate or something like that.

Now I am unsure what to do. I read somewhere that a lot of people have problems sticking to it after about a month, although that is a passing phase with most. On the one hand, I'd rather have nothing to do at all with real tobacco any more, plus, the snus gives me a slight headache. On the other hand, it feels so bl**dy good to have that pack in my mouth. Mind you, that is my 2nd today, and the first one was loose snus, which I spit out rather quickly. So it's not as if I used a lot of it. But still, I use it and I want it, and I am not sure at all that this is a good idea.

I see that others are using both PVs and snus, and after all, snus is not exactly the most dangerous form of tobacco consumption, to put that very mildly. It also may be a desire that is just passing, and will be over soon. Then again, maybe not.

So, what to do?

Confused and unsure,
Alex

Last edited:

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
It is believed that smokeless tobacco products significantly reduce the harm of smoking a tobacco cigarette. This is a position taken by many public health physicians around the world. Assuming you buy into that, then anything you can do (snus, nasal snuff, etc.) to avoid tobacco cigarettes is better for you than smoking. I would agree that anything safer than burning tobacco is the way to go. Who knows? Maybe one day you will be free of tobacco and vaping. 'that would be very cool.

There has yet to be a single reported case of adverse effects from the use of swedish snus. If it keeps you from smoking analogs, I say, Snus away!! Personally, I don't like the flavor well enough to use it very often, but I'm fortunate enough to live where Camel is test marketing dissolvables and their Fresh flavoed Strips taste enough like popping a standard breath strip, yet they give you that "something extra" that its worth keeping a few around in case of emergency. I absolutely prefer to vape, but if ever the need for whole tobacco alkaloids springs up, a quick Snus or dissolvable will save the day.

It's my understanding that you can get Stonewall and/or Ariva dissolvables in many Walgreens or Rite-Aids, if you can't find the Camel Dissolvables. I haven't tried them yet, but Ariva and Stonewall are made by the same company with Stonewalls being the more potent. I've heard they come in a "Java" flavor which sounds like something I might really like. :D

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
Wow that is a hard choice you have. but is it maybe going to pass also. Wild all the stories I hear of that craving is still there years later from smokers that have stopped. Nice you made it this long.

I just received a free sample card from Camel for a thing of Snus. Now is the Frost pouches good or Mellow pouches preferred more. It also says on the card WARNING This Product is not a safe alternative to cigarettes.
Think it would say safer.

I`ll try them I think for whatever reason but I mainly want the tin they come in.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Hi Alex. PV not doing it as well these days? I had the same problem. 3 or 4 weeks after I left the smokes behind for e-liquid I developed a craving that any (and I do mean any) nic level couldn't satisfy. You may be like me and need the psychoactive ingredients found in tobacco. A good way of doing that is through the use of Swedish snus. Specifically, the Swedish variety is pasturized, not fermented like the domestic types. That keeps the nitrosamines (carcinogens) at a minimum. Maybe comparable to what's found in NRT's. It's also regulated as a food product in Sweden. The use of Swedish snus will give you the whole tobacco alkaloid (as opposed to the stripped nicotine molecule in all e-liquids) in the safest manner possible. It's also spitless and very discrete, so it can be used anywhere and nobody knows your getting your fix. Even the ladies are starting to use it. When time permits, you might check-out the Smokeless Tobacco sub-forum. Lots of info, but don't hesitate to ask anything. Bunch of good folks there as well. It might or might not be for you, but it did help me regain my sanity and quench the crave for what was missing :).

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
It also says on the card WARNING This Product is not a safe alternative to cigarettes.
Think it would say safer.
It should, but our government doesn't have a "reduced harm" catagory. Just like the FDA's problem with ecigs, it's good or bad and no in-between. Other nations recognize reduced harm products, which is how Swedish snus is classified, but not the U.S. I would ad that while the Camel snus is also pasturized, it does little if anything for a craving, cool tin, though. I have one :).

RooksGambit

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Lexington, Kentucky
Snus it, Alex!

I work in the restaurant industry as a banquet server. In the midst of weddings and parties, there often isn't time even to vape. Camel Mellow snus has been an integral part of my work day since I quit smoking. I know there's better out there, but the Mellow snus works just fine for me and I like the flavor.

You're still not smoking if you use snus, so you're still not suffering the byproducts of combustion.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Snus it, Alex!

I work in the restaurant industry as a banquet server. In the midst of weddings and parties, there often isn't time even to vape. Camel Mellow snus has been an integral part of my work day since I quit smoking. I know there's better out there, but the Mellow snus works just fine for me and I like the flavor.

You're still not smoking if you use snus, so you're still not suffering the byproducts of combustion.
Ok, we have a winner. If it works, work it I say.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I was even worse then Twisted as I could never quit the smokes with an e-cig. I could chain vap for an hour and still need a cigarette to feel right. A few days after I started using Swedish snus (not the camel which is a pale imitation) I said goodbye to the smokes. The snus gave me a level of satisfaction the e-cig couldn't touch. It's the only thing that could get me off the smokes.

But... that doesn't answer the OP. I doubt anyone can tell you if you should do snus on a regular bases. Some of us just can't function at the level we need to without those elements in tobacco that are missing in e-liquid. For us the choice is easy. The good news is that at least you know your options. If you reach a point where those cravings get to be overwhelming you know where to turn.

Just as a side note, there are a lot of different flavors of snus out there. With a bit of research and experimentation most can find something that agrees with their taste.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Thanks for your replies.

It's not the nicotine level in my vape that's the problem, I even mostly cut from 24mg to 18mg because occasionally, I felt slightly overdosed on 24mg.

I also have only access to snus proper, because I live in Germany, and Swedish shops are no problem, but getting US stuff that is test marketed currently may be a tad difficult. I also did order it (obviously) once a while ago, and northener.com seems to be a very good place to get it, and shipping was, IIRC, quite fast, too.

The thing is, I do get by without analogs. I don't want to go back to them, either, thanks a lot. I don't even think I would go back to them if I hadn't snus. (Although I might have considered pipes again. Yet another failed attempt to reduce cigarettes.) Snus also gives me both a headache and toothache. So one might argue that I don't really need it.
On the other hand, I may just be falling into the very same trap that I laugh about in others: It's tobacco/nicotine, therefore its bad, and you need to stop it!!! Which would be slightly embarassing for somebody who did smoke for pleasure, never wanted to give it up safe for health reasons (well, I never really noticed the stink), and who does not even get the point of those people who want to reduce the nicotine in their juice so they will be nicotine free one day.

Add to that the fact that I sure as hell don't get any support for anything snus in the German forum I hang out a lot, because a) snus is barely known in Germany, and b) It's tobacco! It's evil!!! (and of course, nobody there ever still has analogs), and you have a very confused Alex.
(Who'll presumably order a few cans of snus, just in case, anyway. Because the due date on the ones I have stretches even my willingness to ignore those.)

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Thanks for your replies.

Add to that the fact that I sure as hell don't get any support for anything snus in the German forum I hang out a lot, because a) snus is barely known in Germany, and b) It's tobacco! It's evil!!! (and of course, nobody there ever still has analogs), and you have a very confused Alex.
(Who'll presumably order a few cans of snus, just in case, anyway. Because the due date on the ones I have stretches even my willingness to ignore those.)
Sounds a little like my summary of support at home in the start :D. My wife is a life-time non-smoker and has a father with smoking related emphysema. And snus was dip was chew was spit was gross. When I first spoke of snus, she was adamant about how she would rather see me smoking than using snus. I did the best I could to present her with the facts, then I did what I needed to do. She's warming a little, now after seeing the positive effect it had on my sinking mental state (and realizing I don't spit). But never the less, you'll find much support at this forum's smokeless section from people around the world.
The tooth irritation could be a problem. I understand the pH of snus is elevated. But, at the same time, Swedish snus also comes in 3 portion sizes, with mini's that are far smaller than their larger brethren, but pack enough goods to keep a "twisted" individual like me straight. Good luck :).

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
I was even worse then Twisted as I could never quit the smokes with an e-cig. I could chain vap for an hour and still need a cigarette to feel right. A few days after I started using Swedish snus (not the camel which is a pale imitation) I said goodbye to the smokes. The snus gave me a level of satisfaction the e-cig couldn't touch. It's the only thing that could get me off the smokes.

But... that doesn't answer the OP. I doubt anyone can tell you if you should do snus on a regular bases. Some of us just can't function at the level we need to without those elements in tobacco that are missing in e-liquid. For us the choice is easy. The good news is that at least you know your options. If you reach a point where those cravings get to be overwhelming you know where to turn.

Just as a side note, there are a lot of different flavors of snus out there. With a bit of research and experimentation most can find something that agrees with their taste.
For sure, Stubby. You were a determining factor for me :).

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Alex, my story is similar to yours and others. I've just recently starting using snus after 9 months of quitting smoking using the e-cig. I chain vaped, I used 24mg (and that was a bit rough on me) and I was still having a tough time of it, but didn't want to smoke.

Snus was the last puzzle piece for me since I quit. Now I really feel like I've got the old me back.

Not everyone struggles with this, but seems to be the missing link for many. E-liquids don't have the whole tobacco alkaloids that some of us need (especially if you started smoking as a teen and now it is many decades later and you are trying to quit). It is all about brain chemistry, and everyone is different. So far it seems that I'll use 3-5 packets out of a 24g can (packets are 1g each) per day. Very inexpensive and is like night and day compared to how I was feeling just a weeks ago.

There are several sites to order from, snus.de shop - White Portion Snus seems to be a German site (?) at least they show they ship to Germany. Some sites have shipping restrictions, so best to check before you get all involved in an order (for example snus.de won't ship to the US).

More threads on smokeless alternatives can be found on ECF here:
Smokeless tobacco - e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat

And where those of us who use snus are always checking in (both experts and beginners) and reporting in with tips on flavors and places to buy:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...whats-under-your-lip-your-nose-right-now.html
Come by and post any questions or concerns. I'm too new to know much ;) but we have a great time chatting there and the rest of the members can help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread