To the confused beginners. My input after nearly a month on vaping. ($100 solution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
After reading so much about how confusing it is to jump into this hobby (way to quit smoking and improve your lifestyles). I've decided to give my personal input.

Although I was never a heavy smoker (you can tell by my signature, the Smokeless Image Volt thing) and only into it for a mere 2 years. I knew I had to quit.

I was reminded about vaping when my girlfriend mentioned how her thrift store started stocking electronic cigarettes. I was skeptical at first about the idea of vaping as I tried my friend's PV a few years back only to be welcomed by a very harsh throat hit and not so great menthol. After a few weeks thought, I almost took the plunge on buying a the biggest started kit offered by Blu E-Cigs. That wasn't me, although a very impulsive buyer, I knew I had to do my homework and get a suitable kit.

That's where I landed here. After much reading up on the terminology so I wouldn't get confused, I just dug around for hours.

I wasn't looking to spend over $100, being 22, in college and 2 project cars (the biggest priority in my life). I didn't want to use up too much car part money.

Cliff notes are at the bottom.
This is where I found the Smokeless Image Volt. No, i'm not affiliated with them, and I know it's been mentioned before, but let me tell you reasons why this is a great place to start and then give you other PV system options towards the end.

If you're looking to spend no more than $100, you want to quit smoking or your girlfriend hates the taste of your ashtray mouth, please look no further and I will explain why.

The Smokeless Image Volt system is a KR808D-2 and these are the specs:

- 65mm automatic battery @ 220mAh: Lasts me around 3 hours when chain vaping and about 4-6 if I take it casually.
-- These are automatic which is appealing because there is no button to push and it resembles a typical cigarette in size. It's a bit heavy at first when switching from cigarettes but after a week or so, you notice they're fairly light, although a bit heavy to let dangle from your lips. If you're looking to be discreet in public, I very much recommend these batteries, I carry 2 with me all the time.

- 78mm manual (or automatic) @ 320mAh: I usually keep this one at home and use it for vaping at my desk. Will last me all day almost. But outside the house, will last me about 5 hours chain vaping and 5-6 taking it casually.
-- These come in a manual fully sealed battery which is great for people who re-fill their cartomizers or use an atomizer (more info on that later) system on their Volts, this is because although the "sealed" auto batteries are marketed as sealed, it is because the vent holes are on the threads vs inside the battery tip, they are not 100% sealed and liquid can still get it's way into the battery. Any juice getting inside a battery will short the battery and prematurely send it to the trash can. No gusta.

Volt Maxx batteries @ 650, 900 & 1300 mAh:
- These just came out a couple weeks ago, for those looking to use the 808 cartridge, this is perfect. They will last you all day, even the smallest 650. Best part? They can be used as a passthrough, what this means is that the charging cable connects to one end, and you can charge the battery while you vape and still get the regulated 3.6 volts that all the previous Volt batteries have. So not only can you charge at your desk, car or wherever, you will be able to disconnect and vape while having a huge 12+ hours of battery life.

My thoughts, reasons and advice if you go with the Smokeless Image Volt is simple. If you really must have a kit that resembles a cigarette for the sake of it being discreet or not being looked at funny for busting out a huge mod or something that resembles illicit drug paraphernalia than this is honestly the best option.

The quality on these kits are amazing and so is the customer service are simply top quality.

The only somewhat small annoyance I have the 808 series battery is that a lot of my local vendors do not stock very much 808 stuff. However, the best blank cartos are Bloog/Volt ones. Moreover, when you start feeling comfortable with liquids and such, the 808 series doesn't have a huge expandability factor such as tanks and whatnot.

If you're looking to test flavors, I recommend the GP901 atomizer over at Good Prophets. An atomizer will give you the ability to just use 3-5 drops into the atomizer and take about 10 draws before needing more drops. I use one strictly for sampling purposes. Otherwise, I use a cartomizer.

A blank cartomizer will hold approx. 35 drops and then 15-20 drops for a refill depending on how low you run your cartomizer.

As for liquids, I found that although I love most of the Smokeless Image flavors, they are all 100% PG (Propylene Glycol) based, which for me leaves me feeling fairly dry even when drinking lots of water and my throat irritated. That's when I found out about VG (Vegetable Glycerin) based liquids.

PG - Propylene Glycol - More Throat hit , more flavour , less viscous , less vapor
VG - Vegetable Glycerin - Less throat hit , less flavour , more viscous , more vapor

With that said, a 70PG/30VG blend seems to be the best and most commonly sold. After trying a liquid vendor (ECBlends) and having a bad experience (so far, i'm letting the liquids steep, think fermenting, before I try them again). My friend recommended I go to Pink Spot Vapors (again, in no way affiliated with them either).

After receiving my order just 3 days after ordering and filling 5 brand new cartos with their liquid. I cannot think of having to go anywhere else for liquids. Ever. They have a 70/30 blend of liquids, the tastes are AMAZINGLY good and their customer service is the best that I have ever seen.

They are top tier liquids and that comes with a couple extra $$$. I was skeptical at first, nearly quit vaping after ECBlends, but PSV has me never wanting to quit vaping. Ever.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../276784-shiryos-reviews-pink-spot-vapors.html

My daily routine with my e-cigs is very simple. I grab them and go. Then towards night, I see which flavors are turning dry and refill them as necessary, charge my batteries for the next day and vape on my manual battery. I might even post a video of how I refill my cartos, but this is how I do it:

- The cartos come sealed with 2 silicone caps (most call them condoms). One end has a plug for the bottom vent hole and the other is just a plain cap.
- Keep bottom cap with plug on, remove top cap and silicone mouth insert and drip the liquid into the carto waiting for it to be mostly absorbed.
- Grasping carto by the mouth end, I snap the carto forcing the liquid to be sent to the battery end of the carto. I'll repeat the dripping process until the carto is reasonably wet.
- Take the bottle of liquid and squeeze it and use it as a suction to suck up liquid that wasn't absorbed by the filler
- Place a condom back on the mouth end and then slowly pull off the bottom condom off, if you go too fast you'll suck liquid through and we don't like wasting liquid, especially PSV liquid!
- Take bottle of liquid and use it as a suction on the bottom vent hole so that you get any more excess liquid out and away from your battery or your tongue haha.

Wipe up if necessary and vape. It sounds complicated, but it's really straight forward and easy. I sometimes use the condom method of filling the condom 3/4 for blanks and 1/3 for refills but I find myself wasting 1-2 drops every time, and as I said earlier, we don't wanna waste liquid, every bit counts.

I'm sure there's a ton more I need to cover but this was more of an explanation of why I recommend what I do and how you can get into vaping for under/around $100 initially.

As for other PVs (personal vaporizers) I would recommend getting a Joye Ego (not a C or T) as these use a 510 connection and are readily available at every vapor vendor, the price varies and is about the same as the Smokeless Image Volt. Their batteries are far bigger starting at 650mAh and will last you all day. Thinking of getting one myself.

Cliff notes: I recommend that you wait till you receive your Volt kit first before ordering any liquids as you will need to know if vaping is right for you, but most of all if the nicotine strength you selected with your kit fits your needs.

Personal Option:

- Smokeless Image Volt Pro Starter Kit w/ Mega V2 PCC, an extra (your third) battery and a extra pack of blank cartomizers + Your option of Volt Cartomizers (I recommend getting the Smooth Sampler @ 12mg if you were a Lights smoker or 18mg if you were a Regulars smoker). $73.79 shipped $56.99 +/- $2 (Use "VoltSave" for 15% off)
- 6 pack sampler from Pink Spot Vapor. $35.90 shipped.
Total = $110 +/- $5

Why:
You will be good for a bit over a month, the first month is initially the most expensive as you're buying what you need to get started and testing flavors will take time. You will NEVER be stuck with a dead battery if you carry the right things around for the right occasions. The Mega V2 PCC (Portable Charging Case} is a really great case to carry around. I'll carry around the PCC holding 3 cartos and some of the silicone caps. When one of my batteries goes out, i'll have the other one (or two) as backup in my pocket and will be able to charge one. The charging case gives me about 5 charges on my 65mm batteries.

Beginner's Option:
- Smokeless Image Volt Standard Kit and a extra pack of blank cartomizers + Your option of Volt Cartomizers (I recommend getting the Smooth Sampler @ 12mg if you were a Lights smoker or 18mg if you were a Regulars smoker). $46.12 ($56.99 if you get a third battery) shipped +/- $2 (Use "VoltSave" for 15% off)
Total: $82.02 +/- $12

Why: This is a cheaper alternative to the above option without the PCC. I would stay on top of charging.

Overall: I believe I mentioned it once, but I very much recommend getting a manual battery, I use my manual battery after I refill my cartos as a 100% way to "set" the cartomizers so they don't leak and so that I don't destroy my auto batteries in the process. Also, it looks like Smokeless Image has given us the option to add a pack of Blank Cartos at no extra cost for your Kit selection. I would pick the blank cartos for the kit and than buy a pack of flavored ones separately, this is because when you buy cartomizers, the blanks cost $1 more than the pre-filled ones.

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
If your heart is set on a PV that looks like a cigarette, the volt seems to have the best reputation of all of them. And you did a nice write up. Very thoughtful and detailed, especially considering your relatively short frame of reference.
But I have to ask you something.

How is imitating (complete with flashy orange light) the most demonized activity you can do in public, short of child molestation or wife beating, considered discreet? Seems to me that if you want to stealth vape, the last thing you want to do is look like you're smoking a cigarette. If you want to be treated like a drunk, act like a drunk. If you want to be treated like a smoker, act like a smoker. At the very least, you should nix the orange beacon that say's "Hey! Look at me, I'm burning tobacco here".

I don't vape a cigarette. Smokers don't ask me for a light or ask to bum a smoke. People don't accuse me of smoking in a restaurant or bar. Nobody mistakes my PV for a cigarette. In the rare case that someone asks what it is and I don't feel like educating them, I tell them my doctor prescribed it and they go away.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
If your heart is set on a PV that looks like a cigarette, the volt seems to have the best reputation of all of them. And you did a nice write up. Very thoughtful and detailed, especially considering your relatively short frame of reference.
But I have to ask you something.

How is imitating (complete with flashy orange light) the most demonized activity you can do in public, short of child molestation or wife beating, considered discreet? Seems to me that if you want to stealth vape, the last thing you want to do is look like you're smoking a cigarette. If you want to be treated like a drunk, act like a drunk. If you want to be treated like a smoker, act like a smoker. At the very least, you should nix the orange beacon that say's "Hey! Look at me, I'm burning tobacco here".

I don't vape a cigarette. Smokers don't ask me for a light or ask to bum a smoke. People don't accuse me of smoking in a restaurant or bar. Nobody mistakes my PV for a cigarette. In the rare case that someone asks what it is and I don't feel like educating them, I tell them my doctor prescribed it and they go away.

Just my $0.02.

Well the thing is and it's like rule #1 for new users, especially those looking at getting a cigarette style PV. DO NOT get a PV with a white battery, orange/red LED and wrap your cartomizer in a filter style brown or white. You WILL get the odd looks and possibly start a commotion.

Specs on my batteries:
- 65mm auto black w/ blue LED
- 65mm auto red w/ white LED
- 78mm manual black w/ blacklight (purple) LED

I vape everywhere in public. Been doing it in crowded stores and restaurants with only one instance in a Buffalo Wild Wings where the server asked me to do it outside only because of what other customers would think. Lastly, and i'm dead serious, I vape in my classroom right before class starts in one of them and all throughout class in another one. I have never gotten hassled really, but have been questioned and when I was, another person jumped right in and schooled her on the subject of what it was and how little to no effect does it have on others.

Other than that. I vape everywhere.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Well the thing is and it's like rule #1 for new users, especially those looking at getting a cigarette style PV. DO NOT get a PV with a white battery, orange/red LED and wrap your cartomizer in a filter style brown or white. You WILL get the odd looks and possibly start a commotion.

Specs on my batteries:
- 65mm auto black w/ blue LED
- 65mm auto red w/ white LED
- 78mm manual black w/ blacklight (purple) LED

I vape everywhere in public. Been doing it in crowded stores and restaurants with only one instance in a Buffalo Wild Wings where the server asked me to do it outside only because of what other customers would think. Lastly, and i'm dead serious, I vape in my classroom right before class starts in one of them and all throughout class in another one. I have never gotten hassled really, but have been questioned and when I was, another person jumped right in and schooled her on the subject of what it was and how little to no effect does it have on others.

Other than that. I vape everywhere.

Well, I agree that it helps if your PV isn't an exact replica of a stinkie. I had to chuckle at your statement about vaping in a classroom. Back in my day...(we wore onions on our belts, as was the fashion then...) you could smoke IN class!! Many a 7:00AM calculus lecture did I attend with a cigarette, a bagel and a cup of coffee!! Times have sure changed!!

Honestly, for what it is, the volt is o.k. and you did a very nice review. I had to check to see if you had an affiliate code somewhere, (j/k). The only mild bone I'd have to pick is your overly broad implication that it's the solution for confused newbs. To be sure, they could do worse. But you seem to take this vaping thing seriously and I'll be interested to hear what your advice to newbs is in say...six months or so. I predict that you will soon move up to a more versatile and better performing model, like one of the eGos (just for example). I also predict that when you do, you'll say to yourself..."hmmm...this isn't complicated or expensive or anything that would have prevented me from experiencing its superior performance when I was a newb."

I have yet to hear anyone using the eGo types (again, just for example), that was glad they started with a mini instead. I've never heard anyone say they used an eGo and went back to a mini full time. Now, before someone chimes in, I'm not saying it never happens, only that its not common or typical.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the volt. For a mini, it's about as good as they come. But it's far from a $100 solution for confused newbs. It's a rather expensive introduction to vaping and one that most people will move on from in a shorter period of time than they'd move on from some other $60-100 "solutions". And when they move on, they'll consider it an expense that they could have, and probably should have, skipped. As much as I liked my first kit, and as much as it did the job to get me started, in reality it was a waste of money. I would have been much better off had I simply gotten my second PV in the first place.

Again, don't get me wrong. I admire your enthusiasm and for someone hellbent on a mini, it's a decent model. But I'll take an educated guess here and say that, as you get some experience, you will look back on this sweeping endorsement in a wider context and conclude that your enthusiasm might just have gotten the better of you and the volt is not, in fact, a "solution", but simply one option among many and nothing particularly special.

EDIT: I'm going to temper my already mild criticism regarding the breadth of your recommendation, in light of the following line, which I didn't fully absorb at first:

"....My thoughts, reasons and advice if you go with the Smokeless Image Volt is simple. If you really must have a kit that resembles a cigarette..."

That qualifier cannot be overemphasized. Unfortunately, many newbies incorrectly think they must, and that misperception costs them a lot of money and frustration.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
- ..............65mm automatic battery @ 220mAh: Lasts me around 3 hours when chain vaping and about 4-6 if I take it casually..................

100 mAh = 1 hour of vaping for a light vaper. Your average vaper will get maybe two hours on this size battery. And as the battery is used, this type of battery suffers from battery drain and the volts to the atty/carto go down in performance at about the half way mark. It's why so many are moving to regulated models with technology like "boost circuits" because there is no battery drain problems.

Last edited:

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
After reading so much about how confusing it is to jump into this hobby (way to quit smoking and improve your lifestyles). I've decided to give my personal input.

Although I was never a heavy smoker (you can tell by my signature, the Smokeless Image Volt thing) and only into it for a mere 2 years. I knew I had to quit.

I was reminded about vaping when my girlfriend mentioned how her thrift store started stocking electronic cigarettes. I was skeptical at first about the idea of vaping as I tried my friend's PV a few years back only to be welcomed by a very harsh throat hit and not so great menthol. After a few weeks thought, I almost took the plunge on buying a the biggest started kit offered by Blu E-Cigs. That wasn't me, although a very impulsive buyer, I knew I had to do my homework and get a suitable kit.

That's where I landed here. After much reading up on the terminology so I wouldn't get confused, I just dug around for hours.

I wasn't looking to spend over $100, being 22, in college and 2 project cars (the biggest priority in my life). I didn't want to use up too much car part money.

Cliff notes are at the bottom.
This is where I found the Smokeless Image Volt. No, i'm not affiliated with them, and I know it's been mentioned before, but let me tell you reasons why this is a great place to start and then give you other PV system options towards the end.

If you're looking to spend no more than $100, you want to quit smoking or your girlfriend hates the taste of your ashtray mouth, please look no further and I will explain why.

The Smokeless Image Volt system is a KR808D-2 and these are the specs:

- 65mm automatic battery @ 220mAh: Lasts me around 3 hours when chain vaping and about 4-6 if I take it casually.
-- These are automatic which is appealing because there is no button to push and it resembles a typical cigarette in size. It's a bit heavy at first when switching from cigarettes but after a week or so, you notice they're fairly light, although a bit heavy to let dangle from your lips. If you're looking to be discreet in public, I very much recommend these batteries, I carry 2 with me all the time.

- 78mm manual (or automatic) @ 320mAh: I usually keep this one at home and use it for vaping at my desk. Will last me all day almost. But outside the house, will last me about 5 hours chain vaping and 5-6 taking it casually.
-- These come in a manual fully sealed battery which is great for people who re-fill their cartomizers or use an atomizer (more info on that later) system on their Volts, this is because although the "sealed" auto batteries are marketed as sealed, it is because the vent holes are on the threads vs inside the battery tip, they are not 100% sealed and liquid can still get it's way into the battery. Any juice getting inside a battery will short the battery and prematurely send it to the trash can. No gusta.

Volt Maxx batteries @ 650, 900 & 1300 mAh:
- These just came out a couple weeks ago, for those looking to use the 808 cartridge, this is perfect. They will last you all day, even the smallest 650. Best part? They can be used as a passthrough, what this means is that the charging cable connects to one end, and you can charge the battery while you vape and still get the regulated 3.6 volts that all the previous Volt batteries have. So not only can you charge at your desk, car or wherever, you will be able to disconnect and vape while having a huge 12+ hours of battery life.

My thoughts, reasons and advice if you go with the Smokeless Image Volt is simple. If you really must have a kit that resembles a cigarette for the sake of it being discreet or not being looked at funny for busting out a huge mod or something that resembles illicit drug paraphernalia than this is honestly the best option.

The quality on these kits are amazing and so is the customer service are simply top quality.

The only somewhat small annoyance I have the 808 series battery is that a lot of my local vendors do not stock very much 808 stuff. However, the best blank cartos are Bloog/Volt ones. Moreover, when you start feeling comfortable with liquids and such, the 808 series doesn't have a huge expandability factor such as tanks and whatnot.

If you're looking to test flavors, I recommend the GP901 atomizer over at Good Prophets. An atomizer will give you the ability to just use 3-5 drops into the atomizer and take about 10 draws before needing more drops. I use one strictly for sampling purposes. Otherwise, I use a cartomizer.

A blank cartomizer will hold approx. 35 drops and then 15-20 drops for a refill depending on how low you run your cartomizer.

As for liquids, I found that although I love most of the Smokeless Image flavors, they are all 100% PG (Propylene Glycol) based, which for me leaves me feeling fairly dry even when drinking lots of water and my throat irritated. That's when I found out about VG (Vegetable Glycerin) based liquids.

PG - Propylene Glycol - More Throat hit , more flavour , less viscous , less vapor
VG - Vegetable Glycerin - Less throat hit , less flavour , more viscous , more vapor

With that said, a 70PG/30VG blend seems to be the best and most commonly sold. After trying a liquid vendor (ECBlends) and having a bad experience (so far, i'm letting the liquids steep, think fermenting, before I try them again). My friend recommended I go to Pink Spot Vapors (again, in no way affiliated with them either).

After receiving my order just 3 days after ordering and filling 5 brand new cartos with their liquid. I cannot think of having to go anywhere else for liquids. Ever. They have a 70/30 blend of liquids, the tastes are AMAZINGLY good and their customer service is the best that I have ever seen.

They are top tier liquids and that comes with a couple extra $$$. I was skeptical at first, nearly quit vaping after ECBlends, but PSV has me never wanting to quit vaping. Ever.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../276784-shiryos-reviews-pink-spot-vapors.html

My daily routine with my e-cigs is very simple. I grab them and go. Then towards night, I see which flavors are turning dry and refill them as necessary, charge my batteries for the next day and vape on my manual battery. I might even post a video of how I refill my cartos, but this is how I do it:

- The cartos come sealed with 2 silicone caps (most call them condoms). One end has a plug for the bottom vent hole and the other is just a plain cap.
- Keep bottom cap with plug on, remove top cap and silicone mouth insert and drip the liquid into the carto waiting for it to be mostly absorbed.
- Grasping carto by the mouth end, I snap the carto forcing the liquid to be sent to the battery end of the carto. I'll repeat the dripping process until the carto is reasonably wet.
- Take the bottle of liquid and squeeze it and use it as a suction to suck up liquid that wasn't absorbed by the filler
- Place a condom back on the mouth end and then slowly pull off the bottom condom off, if you go too fast you'll suck liquid through and we don't like wasting liquid, especially PSV liquid!
- Take bottle of liquid and use it as a suction on the bottom vent hole so that you get any more excess liquid out and away from your battery or your tongue haha.

Wipe up if necessary and vape. It sounds complicated, but it's really straight forward and easy. I sometimes use the condom method of filling the condom 3/4 for blanks and 1/3 for refills but I find myself wasting 1-2 drops every time, and as I said earlier, we don't wanna waste liquid, every bit counts.

I'm sure there's a ton more I need to cover but this was more of an explanation of why I recommend what I do and how you can get into vaping for under/around $100 initially.

As for other PVs (personal vaporizers) I would recommend getting a Joye Ego (not a C or T) as these use a 510 connection and are readily available at every vapor vendor, the price varies and is about the same as the Smokeless Image Volt. Their batteries are far bigger starting at 650mAh and will last you all day. Thinking of getting one myself.

Cliff notes: I recommend that you wait till you receive your Volt kit first before ordering any liquids as you will need to know if vaping is right for you, but most of all if the nicotine strength you selected with your kit fits your needs.

Personal Option:

- Smokeless Image Volt Pro Starter Kit w/ Mega V2 PCC, an extra (your third) battery and a extra pack of blank cartomizers + Your option of Volt Cartomizers (I recommend getting the Smooth Sampler @ 12mg if you were a Lights smoker or 18mg if you were a Regulars smoker). $73.79 shipped $56.99 +/- $2 (Use "VoltSave" for 15% off)
Total = $110 +/- $5

Why:
You will be good for a bit over a month, the first month is initially the most expensive as you're buying what you need to get started and testing flavors will take time. You will NEVER be stuck with a dead battery if you carry the right things around for the right occasions. The Mega V2 PCC (Portable Charging Case} is a really great case to carry around. I'll carry around the PCC holding 3 cartos and some of the silicone caps. When one of my batteries goes out, i'll have the other one (or two) as backup in my pocket and will be able to charge one. The charging case gives me about 5 charges on my 65mm batteries.

Beginner's Option:
- Smokeless Image Volt Standard Kit and a extra pack of blank cartomizers + Your option of Volt Cartomizers (I recommend getting the Smooth Sampler @ 12mg if you were a Lights smoker or 18mg if you were a Regulars smoker). $46.12 ($56.99 if you get a third battery) shipped +/- $2 (Use "VoltSave" for 15% off)
Total: $82.02 +/- $12

Why: This is a cheaper alternative to the above option without the PCC. I would stay on top of charging.

Overall: I believe I mentioned it once, but I very much recommend getting a manual battery, I use my manual battery after I refill my cartos as a 100% way to "set" the cartomizers so they don't leak and so that I don't destroy my auto batteries in the process. Also, it looks like Smokeless Image has given us the option to add a pack of Blank Cartos at no extra cost for your Kit selection. I would pick the blank cartos for the kit and than buy a pack of flavored ones separately, this is because when you buy cartomizers, the blanks cost $1 more than the pre-filled ones.

For a newbie, this is well written with a lot of solid facts, I would have thought you were in it much longer from reading your post, - great review. But just so newbies who read this do realize, there are other great kits as well under $100, the ego kit for instance IMO is an outstanding first choice. I am still using mine two years later, so it has staying power, at least in my opinion (of course I replace batts as needed, but that is true for all batts). The ego also has standard 510 threads, which I don't know about anyone else, but for me when I was brand new, that made it easier since most everyplace sells products that interchange. Batts that die fast are often a huge frustration for beginners, like myself when I first started. I started on a 510 and while its a great batt, it just didn't cut it for me, and I was about ready to quit until someone suggested I try an ego. I was at first intimidated since it was bigger and didn't look like an analog, but now i realize, that is a PLUS not a negative. For me anyway. I'd rather not look like I am smoking.

Again, great review. But while this product you mention is a good one, I would not say it is the best in the market for a beginner. Everyone says it is inevitable that newbies trade up, but that is mainly because they buy the lower performing batts first. Had I started with my ego, I would never have traded up at all as I am still using them today. I know even some will trade up even after an ego but an ego at least gives you an all day vape. I was forever charging batts before.....kind of takes the spontaniety out of vaping.

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
For a newbie, this is well written with a lot of solid facts, I would have thought you were in it much longer from reading your post, - great review. But just so newbies who read this do realize, there are other great kits as well under $100, the ego kit for instance IMO is an outstanding first choice. I am still using mine two years later, so it has staying power, at least in my opinion (of course I replace batts as needed, but that is true for all batts). The ego also has standard 510 threads, which I don't know about anyone else, but for me when I was brand new, that made it easier since most everyplace sells products that interchange. Batts that die fast are often a huge frustration for beginners, like myself when I first started. I started on a 510 and while its a great batt, it just didn't cut it for me, and I was about ready to quit until someone suggested I try an ego. I was at first intimidated since it was bigger and didn't look like an analog, but now i realize, that is a PLUS not a negative. For me anyway. I'd rather not look like I am smoking.

Again, great review. But while this product you mention is a good one, I would not say it is the best in the market for a beginner. Everyone says it is inevitable that newbies trade up, but that is mainly because they buy the lower performing batts first. Had I started with my ego, I would never have traded up at all as I am still using them today. I know even some will trade up even after an ego but an ego at least gives you an all day vape. I was forever charging batts before.....kind of takes the spontaniety out of vaping.

These are the points I was trying to make in my last post. I hope I didn't come off as overly harsh or critical. But it kind of does newbie a disservice to imply that the volt is the answer to their confusion or any more suitable for them than any number of other kits carrying similar price tags.

If the original post was presented as strictly a review of a particular PV, perhaps in the reviews forum, the entire tone would be different and I'd have few qualms about it. As it is, it's an enthusiastic, but overly broad endorsement of a product with a much more limited application, and far more limitations, than is implied by the post.

I fear it will mislead newbs with unrealistic expectations and discourage them from doing the research they really should be doing, despite their confusion. Worst case is that they expect more from it than it can deliver and, thinking it's the best, give up the idea of PV's entirely.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
These are the points I was trying to make in my last post. I hope I didn't come off as overly harsh or critical. But it kind of does newbie a disservice to imply that the volt is the answer to their confusion or any more suitable for them than any number of other kits carrying similar price tags.

If the original post was presented as strictly a review of a particular PV, perhaps in the reviews forum, the entire tone would be different and I'd have few qualms about it. As it is, it's an enthusiastic, but overly broad endorsement of a product with a much more limited application, and far more limitations, than is implied by the post.

I fear it will mislead newbs with unrealistic expectations and discourage them from doing the research they really should be doing, despite their confusion. Worst case is that they expect more from it than it can deliver and, thinking it's the best, give up the idea of PV's entirely.

Sailorman, that is the same reason I replied. If it were in the review forum under a different context, I don't think I would have replied at all. I only did just to say that while it is a great 'review' and I appreciate his or her enthusiasm completely, it is not the end all be all answer for a confused beginner. From what I know about the product the batt life is similar to the joye 510, and while I LOVED my first e-cig, it also became a nuisance with all of the constant charging. i spent my first two months of vaping researching and buying portable chargers so I wouldn't run out of power before I was near an outlet.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Yep, I ended up buying 6 additional batteries over the few months I had my 510. I still have 3 of them, and a PCC, that I kept for "backup". At roughly $9 each, plus $23 for the PCC, plus the original $35 kit price, I could've gotten a decent kit right from the git-go. Now that I have four other PVs, I should probably PIF them before the batteries just die from old age.

Last edited:

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
Hah, no offense taken guys. It was just a helper for someone looking for a cigarette similar PV. I did mention that for someone not caring about the looks and pure performance to go with an eGo kit.

Although it nearly kills the point of this thread and the enthusiasm I put into the original post, I'm actually going to get a LavaTube VV PV at the end of the month.

I do love Volt for what they have helped me with, trying to pass on the love. I will definitely keep my Volt as it will be what I use on the go. I'm quite self-conscious especially with something in regards to what most of the public -thinks- is still smoking until being further educated on the subject. So when it comes to restaurants, school, etc. I will have my Volt by my side.

Maybe one day i'll pull out the LavaTube and how the public reacts to such a device not seen everyday. As my friend does with a LavaTube, he jokingly tells people that it's a combination of nicotine and a liquidized formulation of .... he boiled up in his garage for an extra kick. People believe it sadly haha and he has to further verify that there is no .... in there haha.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
There you go. That's the spirit! Don't worry, you'll get over your shyness when you experience your LavaTube. It's a little big for a pants pocket, but still carry-able.

We vapers need to envangelize a bit so people don't associate vaping with smoking. Once they get the difference, almost everyone is really cool about it. I would think school would be the perfect place to use a non-cig looking PV. If you can't educate students, what chance do we have with the public at large?

I'm kind of like your friend. When people approach me I usually take time to explain. Sometimes though, I tell them its something my doctor prescribed and that puts an end to it.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
<3 my Volt(s)

Not a fan of PCC tho. Seems silly to charge something, only to turn around and use it to charge the batteries. It would make sense if I was away from a computer/power all day tho.

But that's the point of a PCC. It's kind of nerdy to bring your laptop into the club so you can charge batteries.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
I've been vaping for a long time and I started with a Blu kit. Then a 510. Then I picked up a couple of mods. I finally got to the point where I was tired of fiddling and just wanted to vape so I switched to an 808 and used it for a really long time.

I tried the Egos when we got them in the store that I worked at, but I ended up giving my kit to my bf and still continued using the 808s. I finally did pick up a 1000mah ego passthrough and got turned onto clearomizers and have used that pretty exclusively for the better part of the past year.

I have so many pvs, mods, cartos, clearos and even my beloved Stardusts (which I much prefer to the CE2's), but I picked up a Volt starter kit to see what all the hype was about and was very pleasantly surprised by the performance. I only picked up 1 78mm manual battery and a pack of prefilled cartos in my kit.

The odd thing for me is that while I'm sitting here with a whole organizer full of the latest and greatest, I'm finding myself reaching for the Volt more and more often. Especially when I go out and about. Granted, I'm a heavy vaper so the battery life would still be an issue for me, though I did just fine with 4 XL 808 batts for the long time I used them in the past.

Before trying the Volt, I may have agreed with some of the comments here about sending the wrong message to a new vaper, but I've worked very closely with first time vapers for a long time and 1 re-occurring theme I've seen is that they just want it to work.

Yes many vapers do upgrade and I somewhat blame the forum for that lol. I just recently started hanging back out on the forum again after almost a year hiatus. I was perfectly happy with my setup, but in the past 3 months that I've been back, I've spent over $700 because I just HAD to try all the stuff that people recommended. Sometimes ignorance is bliss lol.

I've seen 3PAD smokers quit using 3pc 4081's. If someone comes on saying they want the longest battery life and the most options available..then yes, toss them into the Ego ring or direct them to a mod, but most newbies want something as similar to cigarettes as they can get.

With slim ecigs that perform as well as the Volt does, who are we to tell them they are wrong or that it'll be a waste of money because they'll just get a different one later. I like to give newbies the pros and cons of the different types available and let them decide what will best suit them. If a starter Volt kit does the trick and they are content with it, I think that's great.

Anyhow, sorry to ramble. I know that a lot of people came here after purchasing a $200 POS system that didn't do it for them and it was a mistake/waste of money to them. I don't feel that the Volt would be a waste of money for anyone. at the very least it is a great backup PV to have or to share with others wanting to try one. It is not one of the slim ecigs that'll leave a bad taste in a potential new vapers mouth.

No pun intended.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
First time vapers just want it to work, like you said. That's true. And, for a while, a decent little battery does work. How good? They don't know and they won't know for months. But in the vast majority of cases, they figure it out. You did. I did. Jammin did.

I didn't upgrade from a 510 because I felt like spending money, or I was dazzled. I upgraded because I got sick and tired of charging and buying batteries. And yes, my 510 was a waste of money. By the time I upgraded, less than 3 months after I started, I had well over $100 in it, not including consumables.

When I upgraded, about 21 months ago, I bought a Baby Bullet for about $105, including spare batteries. Was it more complicated? No. Harder to use? No. More confusing? No. There was absolutely no reason I couldn't have bought that right from the start, except that like the clueless newb I was, I was convinced somehow I wanted something that "looked like a cigarette." I didn't know how the performance of a little battery is ridiculously lame compared to a bigger battery. And I wasn't alone in that ignorance. Unfortunately, there was no one there to talk me out of the stupidity. I would have listened and I would have been grateful. At least I didn't fall for the automatic batteries.

21 months after I upgraded, I was still using that BB exclusively, right up until a couple weeks ago when I decided to splurge and get a LavaTube. But $105/21 = $5 a month + maybe another $1/mo. for batteries and I'll have that BB for years to come. OTOH, the 510 costs me about $110 for 2.5 months, or $44/mo. for a less capable system that I never use and, in fact most of which I can't use. Tell me that wasn't a waste of money.

I'm sure that the odd vaper keeps using something like the volt for years. It's the exception that proves the rule. I'd love to see a poll of how many people continued to use their analog lookalikes after the first 6 months or so. I'll guarantee you that the vast majority upgraded and it wasn't because they just felt like it.

No newbie is going to come to you and say they want the longest battery life or the most options available. They don't know enough about what they're talking about even to know those are questions to be asked. If you honestly told people the vast difference in performance between a 180mah battery and a 900mah battery and they choose the 180mah battery, then you had the dumbest customers on the planet, and I doubt that. More likely, you sold them what they thought they wanted. That's what salespeople do. No successful salesperson sells people what they need. They sell them what they want. I was in the insurance sale biz for years. All the guys who got rich sold what people wanted. The ones who attempted to sell what was really the best insurance for the customer failed. Those people knew as much about insurance as a newbie knows about e-cigs. Like a newb, they didn't, in fact they wouldn't, buy what was the best for them. They bought what they, in their ignorance, thought they wanted; and who are we to argue. You could walk away with a signed application, or a warm, fuzzy feeling from educating them. You can't pay the rent with warm, fuzzy feelings.

The 510 didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth either. It worked just as well as the Volt, cost half as much and didn't try to hook me on pre-filled cartridges. But, in hindsight, like all of the analog mimics, it was a poor performer. A 180 or 230mah battery is what it is. It's chemistry and physics and I don't care what kind of pretty tube you put it in.

Was it better than nothing. Yes. But so what? Nothing wasn't my only other option.

If a PV costs $100 and the chance that you will upgrade within the first year, for any reason related to performance, is better than 50%, it's a waste. End of story. You can sugarcoat it and rationalize it all you want. Just because a clueless newbie "chose" it doesn't make it any less of a waste or any better an e-cig. Kids choose Happy Meals and Newbies choose Blu every single day. All that proves is that kids know no more about nutrition than newbs know about PV's.

I'm not in the sales business anymore. Today I operate on warm, fuzzy feelings. If I can talk someone out of a mediocre vaping experience, a waste of money and the possibility of giving up vaping entirely due to an inferior class of product, I'm going to do it. They can say I'm arrogant, or presumptuous, or a know-it-all. But they'll never be able to say I didn't warn them.

Last edited:
First time vapers just want it to work, like you said. That's true. And, for a while, a decent little battery does work. How good? They don't know and they won't know for months. But in the vast majority of cases, they figure it out. You did. I did. Jammin did.

I didn't upgrade from a 510 because I felt like spending money, or I was dazzled. I upgraded because I got sick and tired of charging and buying batteries. And yes, my 510 was a waste of money. By the time I upgraded, less than 3 months after I started, I had well over $100 in it, not including consumables.

When I upgraded, about 21 months ago, I bought a Baby Bullet for about $105, including spare batteries. Was it more complicated? No. Harder to use? No. More confusing? No. There was absolutely no reason I couldn't have bought that right from the start, except that like the clueless newb I was, I was convinced somehow I wanted something that "looked like a cigarette." I didn't know how the performance of a little battery is ridiculously lame compared to a bigger battery. And I wasn't alone in that ignorance. Unfortunately, there was no one there to talk me out of the stupidity. I would have listened and I would have been grateful. At least I didn't fall for the automatic batteries.

21 months after I upgraded, I was still using that BB exclusively, right up until a couple weeks ago when I decided to splurge and get a LavaTube. But $105/21 = $5 a month + maybe another $1/mo. for batteries and I'll have that BB for years to come. OTOH, the 510 costs me about $110 for 2.5 months, or $44/mo. for a less capable system that I never use and, in fact most of which I can't use. Tell me that wasn't a waste of money.

I'm sure that the odd vaper keeps using something like the volt for years. It's the exception that proves the rule. I'd love to see a poll of how many people continued to use their analog lookalikes after the first 6 months or so. I'll guarantee you that the vast majority upgraded and it wasn't because they just felt like it.

No newbie is going to come to you and say they want the longest battery life or the most options available. They don't know enough about what they're talking about even to know those are questions to be asked. If you honestly told people the vast difference in performance between a 180mah battery and a 900mah battery and they choose the 180mah battery, then you had the dumbest customers on the planet, and I doubt that. More likely, you sold them what they thought they wanted. That's what salespeople do. No successful salesperson sells people what they need. They sell them what they want. I was in the insurance sale biz for years. All the guys who got rich sold what people wanted. The ones who attempted to sell what was really the best insurance for the customer failed. Those people knew as much about insurance as a newbie knows about e-cigs. Like a newb, they didn't, in fact they wouldn't, buy what was the best for them. They bought what they, in their ignorance, thought they wanted; and who are we to argue. You could walk away with a signed application, or a warm, fuzzy feeling from educating them. You can't pay the rent with warm, fuzzy feelings.

The 510 didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth either. It worked just as well as the Volt, cost half as much and didn't try to hook me on pre-filled cartridges. But, in hindsight, like all of the analog mimics, it was a poor performer. A 180 or 230mah battery is what it is. It's chemistry and physics and I don't care what kind of pretty tube you put it in.

Was it better than nothing. Yes. But so what? Nothing wasn't my only other option.

If a PV costs $100 and the chance that you will upgrade within the first year, for any reason related to performance, is better than 50%, it's a waste. End of story. You can sugarcoat it and rationalize it all you want. Just because a clueless newbie "chose" it doesn't make it any less of a waste or any better an e-cig. Kids choose Happy Meals and Newbies choose Blu every single day. All that proves is that kids know no more about nutrition than newbs know about PV's.

I'm not in the sales business anymore. Today I operate on warm, fuzzy feelings. If I can talk someone out of a mediocre vaping experience, a waste of money and the possibility of giving up vaping entirely due to an inferior class of product, I'm going to do it. They can say I'm arrogant, or presumptuous, or a know-it-all. But they'll never be able to say I didn't warn them.

Now that is a man with wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread