To think that people cannot get any stupider

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp25

Dec 27, 2018
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/29/health/ecigarette-cigarette-risks-study/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2019-03-30T05:45:02&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&r=http://m.facebook.com

I’m just gonna leave this right here. A positive perception is key in order to avoid any more indoor vaping bans, further regulation on flavors/juices, and additional taxes or flat out bans on the purchase of e-cigarettes. My fellow Americans, this might come as a shock to you (sarcasm), but we have a very misinformed and ignorant public that takes the bait being thrown out by the FDA, CDC, Big Pharma, and certainly the elected politicians.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/29/health/ecigarette-cigarette-risks-study/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2019-03-30T05:45:02&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&r=http://m.facebook.com

I’m just gonna leave this right here. A positive perception is key in order to avoid any more indoor vaping bans, further regulation on flavors/juices, and additional taxes or flat out bans on the purchase of e-cigarettes. My fellow Americans, this might come as a shock to you (sarcasm), but we have a very misinformed and ignorant public that takes the bait being thrown out by the FDA, CDC, Big Pharma, and certainly the elected politicians.

I bet I have said it 100 times (many of those times on this forum) but if CNN or MSNBC announced that "Volkswagens were made out of sugar and lollipops and built by Umpalumpas", at least 50% of the population would believe it and probably 10% would claim to have actually eaten one as proof.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
would be nice if trump ended fake news

tenor (6).gif

Last edited:

TylerA

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I mean, if Trump ended fake news ... he'd never be allowed to speak again ... but that's another conversation in probably another forum ;) I do, however, agree that news should be held to a higher standard and report facts, not sensationalize everything, be intentionally misleading, or spread falsehoods.

On topic - I think each 5% Juul pod has a total of 40mg .. on average, a cigarette has 12mg of nicotine .. so you'd need to smoke 3.33 cigarettes to equal one Juul pod. Obviously a lie there.

I'm pretty sure that kid was paid to say what he said ... I doubt he had cold sweats in the middle of the night .. I smoked for nearly 27 years and I've never had that happen, even when I tried quitting cold turkey ;p

They said nicotine was addictive, which is true, but they never went into any health risks associated with just being addicted to nicotine.

Saw this in an article I read:

Negative health consequences have not materialized within the seven years e-cigarettes have been used in the U.S. – though it’s essential to keep monitoring.

Which I agree with. Any health consequences should be studied, and we should be made aware if any arise.

Parents should be concerned with what their kids do, sure ... but they should also be concerned with HOW their kids are getting vaping equipment. Kids will always find a way to do things they aren't allowed to do ... smoke, drink, vape, etc. Not sure why vaping is under the microscope while kids are still smoking cigs and drinking.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I mean, if Trump ended fake news ... he'd never be allowed to speak again ... but that's another conversation in probably another forum ;) I do, however, agree that news should be held to a higher standard and report facts, not sensationalize everything, be intentionally misleading, or spread falsehoods.

On topic - I think each 5% Juul pod has a total of 40mg .. on average, a cigarette has 12mg of nicotine .. so you'd need to smoke 3.33 cigarettes to equal one Juul pod. Obviously a lie there.

I'm pretty sure that kid was paid to say what he said ... I doubt he had cold sweats in the middle of the night .. I smoked for nearly 27 years and I've never had that happen, even when I tried quitting cold turkey ;p

They said nicotine was addictive, which is true, but they never went into any health risks associated with just being addicted to nicotine.

Saw this in an article I read:

Which I agree with. Any health consequences should be studied, and we should be made aware if any arise.

Parents should be concerned with what their kids do, sure ... but they should also be concerned with HOW their kids are getting vaping equipment. Kids will always find a way to do things they aren't allowed to do ... smoke, drink, vape, etc. Not sure why vaping is under the microscope while kids are still smoking cigs and drinking.

You can't just blame one side of the aisle or another. Both sides of the aisle are selling (or buying) and then publishing bogus information. All the science in the world won't change that. You could have 300,000,000 studies all point to the same evidence and out of those 75% will say "This is good." 10% of them will say "This is bad." and 15% will come up with no conclusion either way. And that's even WITH the same criteria, same equipment, same everything.

The problem is "How do we interpret this?" For the vast majority of intelligent people, they would interpret it in a proper way. They would take the data laid out for them, and draw their own conclusions. For the rest, they will believe whatever everybody feeds them. They're not interested in results, they're not interested in science or facts, they're not interested in the work being done for them, they're just interested in believing what they're told.

The sad reality, is this applies across the board with many things. Up to and including e-cigarettes.

As for the rest of your statements I agree with. Just the political thing(s), keep it out of here.

I agree that PARENTS need to teach their kids better. We need to stop coddling teens. When I was a teen, it didn't matter what I did, but if it was wrong, I paid the consequences for it. If I screwed up (as most teenagers do), do you think my parents were there to bail my behind out? NOPE! I not only got just rewards, but I got a second helping of .... kickings as well. As for kids doing what kids are going to do, I think a lot of that has to do with parents almost having power completely removed from them. You can't so much as raise your voice to your kids out of fear of getting punished by the state anymore. As it "damages their ability to reason" or "hurts their feelings". No, yelling at my kids for being a jackass doesn't "hurt" or "hinder" anything, its either they get yelled at, or I resort to other means of discipline, IE Making them hold a stack of DVD's straight out in front of them until the lactic acid builds up in their shoulders and makes their arms hurt. I've done it before, it taught them quickly to clean up their crap.

I also think people AND BUSINESSES need to be more responsible for checking ID's. It wouldn't hurt to hire an extra person just to sit by the door and check ID's. It saves you from a lawsuit, it saves you from giving the industry a bad name, and it saves you earning a bad rep for terrible business practices. As for second hand trading and the like - kids need to learn to be more responsible. If you get caught with something you shouldn't have in the first place, maybe you should be fined. Get caught with alcohol below 21? get fined, get caught with cigarettes or e-cigarettes below 18 (or 21 depending on where you live), get fined. Get caught trading, selling, or giving someone under the legal age? Get fined. Don't pay your fines? Get locked up. Enough is enough of people doing crap that they know hurts an industry. When you hurt an industry you eventually close down business, when you close down business, then you have a whole string of other bad things happening.

Which adds to the whole ring of - if you're below an age and you get fined, usually their parents will find out, and if their parents find out and they happen to be decent parents, paying their kids' fines would be off the table. Or if they do pay their kids' fines, then I'd only hope and pray that their kids would be held more accountable for their actions... maybe? Just an idea?

would be nice if trump ended fake news

View attachment 806457

Oh yes, and then what? Violate the freedom of press? What would that accomplish? Nothing, that's what.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This does not seem to be an article about political parties. Why is there partisan trolling whenever something like this comes up? There are enemies of vaping on both sides of the aisle. All this article says is that they seem to be making progress. Was it done with fake news? Sure. Neither party has a monopoly on that either. Which one does it more? Not the job of this site.

Please find another forum to argue that one in.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Oh yes, and then what? Violate the freedom of press? What would that accomplish? Nothing, that's what.
What it would accomplish would depend on who is in power and what their goals are. Let's face it, when it comes to vaping, the propaganda has been quite effective.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521

Exactly that. Money talks.

This does not seem to be an article about political parties. Why is there partisan trolling whenever something like this comes up? There are enemies of vaping on both sides of the aisle. All this article says is that they seem to be making progress. Was it done with fake news? Sure. Neither party has a monopoly on that either. Which one does it more? Not the job of this site.

Please find another forum to argue that one in.

That's what I was saying, sorry was adding more to my post.

What it would accomplish would depend on who is in power and what their goals are. Let's face it, when it comes to vaping, the propaganda has been quite effective.

EXACTLY. Propaganda makes money. Money talks. Those with the most money, speak the loudest. So, if we'd stop throwing our money at the propaganda machine(s), they'd eventually shut up.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France

The problem with the television is that it is seen by many people as an 'authority' So it gets given trust where ideally there should be healthy scepticism....it's been shown time and time an again that the propensity of individuals to accept what they ate told depends on the way it is received.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
The problem with the television is that it is seen by many people as an 'authority' So it gets given trust where ideally there should be healthy scepticism....it's been shown time and time an again that the propensity of individuals to accept what they ate told depends on the way it is received.

WHAT? I shouldn't just believe everything I hear (sarcasm)?! I should use my intellect and decide things for myself?!? THAT'S HERESY!

Sorry I had to. But I do agree, as I stated in my original response, we could have millions upon billions of studies done, and very few would pay attention and draw their own conclusion(s). They would go into mind control mode and allow someone else to decide their fate for them. Whereas the "few" would look at the proof laid out before them, study each article, and then make up their own minds.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
90,000,000 registered voters didn't care and didn't vote in 2016 according to the research. Apparently, they believe in letting other people make the decisions for them.

Over 90 Million Eligible Voters Didn’t Vote in 2016 | Heavy.com
Getting members of the group you disagree with to not vote seems to be viewed historically as being almost as effective as getting the members of the group you agree with TO vote. Another one of those things done on both sides of the aisle. My personal view is screw them both and just go vote. If nothing else it messes with their statistical analysis. It’s a bit like randomly trading “shopper loyalty“ cards with strangers. This btw is tremendously effective at destroying the spyware effect of shopper loyalty cards. It makes the computers all really really confused.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
WHAT? I shouldn't just believe everything I hear (sarcasm)?! I should use my intellect and decide things for myself?!? THAT'S HERESY!

Sorry I had to. But I do agree, as I stated in my original response, we could have millions upon billions of studies done, and very few would pay attention and draw their own conclusion(s). They would go into mind control mode and allow someone else to decide their fate for them. Whereas the "few" would look at the proof laid out before them, study each article, and then make up their own minds.

It all depends on where they get their news ...

humanscaughtvirusfromcomputer.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Took classes on this one once, way back in the day. Visual media is a parallel rather than serial information delivery system. Text is serial. Radio is serial. Pictures are parallel.

The power of visual media is it is capable of delivering a packet of information very very fast. The type and complexity of that information is limited, but it’s practically instant.
Fast enough to overload a human BS meter. Advertisers love pictures.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

I’ve always thought of that as being a factor of time. Busy people have other things to do.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Took classes on this one once, way back in the day. Visual media is a parallel rather than serial information delivery system. Text is serial. Radio is serial. Pictures are parallel.

The power of visual media is it is capable of delivering a packet of information very very fast. The type and complexity of that information is limited, but it’s practically instant.
Fast enough to overload a human BS meter. Advertisers love pictures.

I took classes on the authoritarian influence on behaviour for 3 years when I was at Uni....I've never been the same since :)

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I’ve always thought of that as being a factor of time. Busy people have other things to do.

Yes, and there are always consequences for acting (or reacting) hastily about anything. How long does it take to properly pack a parachute? Several seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years? I'd venture to guess probably anywhere from several minutes to hours. As I'd rather either pack it myself and then take the chances either way, or have someone that knows what they're doing pack it for me. So what if it takes 45 minutes or more to pack one? I'd guess the guy taking his time is more careful than the guy that took 30 seconds or less to get the job done.

Time is a key factor in many things, it's what you choose to do with that time that makes all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread