Not open for further replies.

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL
tobacco ‘mints’ tied to kids’ poisoning

Smokeless products 2nd most common source of accidents

100414-camels-hmed-549p.hmedium.jpg
Manufacturers of smokeless flavored tobacco products say they're aimed at adult users who don't want to smoke or spit, but critics worry that they're being marketed to kids.

Tobacco ?mints? tied to poisoning in kids - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Should tobacco 'mints' be allowed to be sold?

msnbc.com health - Should tobacco 'mints' be allowed to be sold?

Discuss............

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL
I have used the camel Snus in case of emergency but have not seen the strips, Orbs or Sticks available in stores in florida as of yet.

I'm proud to say because of the e-cig. This week will be 1 full year that I have not smoked a traditional cigarette. With the help of Snus in case of emergency had kept me clean and smoke free. Do you think these products should be banned?
I now see marlboro has their own line out. Are these type products gaining speed or do you think they will be taken away from the market to yet take another option away from us to stop cigarette smoking?

Thoughts?

scintar

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Pinellas Park FL

Sorry voltaire , I had done a search and came up with nothing but garbage. There are so many new users in the past year, many topics when searching come up short.

Mods, feel free to delete if you need to.

Last edited:

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
No need to apologize. I understand - the search function can be tricky, particularly since you'd have to guess what to search for, specially when people don't exactly choose the best thread titles or forums to post in.

I wasn't posting to scold you for making the topic - just to tie it all together. And if I came across as sort of mad, I kind of am at the whole subject, but not at all at you. :)

Last edited:

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
Well, we all know that they play the children card when they can't seem to come up with anything legitimate. I think that most of us as reponsible parents try to keep all hazards away from our kids and are usually fairly successful. Funny thing is they claim these are in child-proof containers and yet kids are getting them. Why aren't they trying to force the makers of child-proof containers to improve their product? That would solve problems with lots of things kids get hold of, medications and vitamins. And how about all the kids that get hold of alcohol every year? Are we banning that too? I HATE politicians!!!!:mad:

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
...And what really bothers me is that apparently some vapers are falling for the propaganda. Guess what people? If dissolvables are such a nicotine-poisoning menace to the children that they should be outright banned, where do you think that leaves e-liquid?

If they want to ban ecigs, then they better ban analogs too!

If they want to ban dissolvables, then they better ban NRT's (like the flavored losenges) too!

Simple as that.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I just posted this in another thread. Worth reading, you'll love it!

Tobacco Truth

Wow, .16% of all poisoning of kids, that should bring on some major headlines. When they ban that other 99.84% of causes of children poisoning themselves the case will be made to get smokeless off the market.

The insanity of this movement is only comparable to MADD as it spins out of control.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Tobacco ‘mints’ tied to kids’ poisoning

Smokeless products 2nd most common source of accidents

100414-camels-hmed-549p.hmedium.jpg
Manufacturers of smokeless flavored tobacco products say they're aimed at adult users who don't want to smoke or spit, but critics worry that they're being marketed to kids.

Tobacco ?mints? tied to poisoning in kids - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Should tobacco 'mints' be allowed to be sold?

msnbc.com health - Should tobacco 'mints' be allowed to be sold?

Discuss............

Disgusted. Commented. Voted. Interesting that currently the votes are in favor of "Yes, they're better than cigarettes."

Melee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2010
Alabama, US
www.facebook.com
I think they should stop worrying so much about kids and smokeless tobacco, and start getting them off of the crack.
What is more harmful? A dis-solvable strip on the tongue or a glass pipe and syringe?
Effing idiots.

Am I a bad person for thinking this was hysterical?! I hope not. lmao

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
Am I a bad person for thinking this was hysterical?! I hope not. lmao

Appropriate for the moment I thought. I'm sick of the quit or die mentality, and the endless 'it's for the kids' line. Kids are drawn to hard drugs more than they are to snus. That is a no-brainer.
Its all about priorities IMO, and too many people have their priorities all messed up.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Appropriate for the moment I thought. I'm sick of the quit or die mentality, and the endless 'it's for the kids' line. Kids are drawn to hard drugs more than they are to snus. That is a no-brainer.
Its all about priorities IMO, and too many people have their priorities all messed up.

PlanetScribbles, I think that many of us feel the same way as you do. :thumb:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Commit nicotine lozenges come in yummy cherry, cinnamon, and mint flavors. "Nicotine Pharmaceuticals" (which would include the gum as well -- perhaps the patch but that would probably be rare) accounted for 1,174 poisonings in 2008, of which 589 were children under age 6.

Cigarettes accounted for 5,876 poisonings. "Other Types of Tobacco Product" which would encompass the dissolvables only accounted for 97 case mentions, of which 47 were children under age 6.

Source: http://www.aapcc.org/dnn/Portals/0/2008annualreport.pdf

My only personal brush with nicotine poisoning was when I accidently bit off and swallowed a piece of a nicotine lozenge. About 10 minutes later I was emptying all the contents of my stomach into the kitchen sink while the room spun around me. I felt woozy for about another 30 minutes, and then was fine after that.

Nicotine poisoning tends to be self-correcting. There were ZERO deaths from Tobacco product poisonings; and of 8,356 total cases, only 4 were considered major.

Melee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2010
Alabama, US
www.facebook.com
You know what looks like candy?

Nicotine gum.

Know why?

'Cuz gum is actually candy!

So is crack! jk jk

Really though, what little kid is going to walk into the Texaco and ask for the nicotine candy? And what parent is going to leave it out for their babies to get into it? What about the Commit Lozenges? Why is this even an issue?

I think THOSE people (all of THOSE people) need to just live and let live. Quit trying to take control of other people's lives. We have mothers just for that purpose.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
The saddest thing is that the study's author, Gregory Connolly, a rabid prohibitionist concerning all things tobacco, is laughing his head off right now. We can rant all we want here, but he delivered his message to America, loud and clear, on just about every news outlet. I can't tell you how many "friends" emailed me about my dangerous practice that is endangering America's children.

We have no voice as loud. We have no researcher who can command the type of attention this inaccurate and ill-reasoned message got.

Before this is over, these anti types will take down snus, dissolvables, and all electronic smoking products -- liquids and hardware. Then they will tax cigarettes, chew tobacco, cigars and pipe tobacco to a point that choices between food and mortgages and tobacco must be made.

Who gets hurt? Only the people. Only people like us, trying to do a better thing in the face of corporate greed, intellectual bankruptcy at instititutions of higher learning, and a government with its hands shoved ever deeper into our pockets and its eyes peering ever deeper into our private lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread