Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
First, I've never tried either of those, so I am basing this post on what I've read on tobacco reviews.com.
It seems like you have a wide variety from mild to strong, and pretty much everything in between. This is actually a good thing. While it is doubtful you will like them all, you should be able to zero in on the types of tobacco and the strength you enjoy, then you could narrow your search to similar tobaccos.
I noticed that you have ordered multiple 50 gram selections. Might I suggest splitting them in half, using one half for cold maceration in PG and the other half for heated extraction in 75% EA / 25% VG solvent (which would require allowing the EA to evaporate later).
Using both methods will still require a long steep, at least eight weeks (twelve weeks might be better). And, as always, filtration is key. Using 2 macron lab filters is rem=commended.
If it were me, and I were beginning to extract these flavors in late May, I would allow steep times into late August, and after filtering would mix and let steep another four weeks. Late September/ early October you could be enjoying optimal flavor as long as you do not rush the process or try to take shortcuts.
Just my opinions, worth what you paid for them.

giboja

Mar 9, 2020
Travelin' Man...thanks for overview and plenty of good advice's.

I have macerated(heated EA) 15 tobacco so far.
First batch was all aromatic, as only aromatic was available locally, and did not like them at all.

Next batch was diverse strength but no aromatics this time.
I split them, as advised, to 25g each and make one in EA/PG, 50/50(heated), and another in PG only cold.

Now I have to wait for PG only cold to be done(12 weeks minimum is plan) to compare to EA.

Here I must stop and say that all this maceration procedure is big fun for me and big reward when something comes out nice.
Like:
No7

which I filtered this morning and now I am enjoying it a lot.

It was strongest of all in batch, heavy on Latakia and so is the roomnote, but very gentle and very sweet blend to vape with that in mind.
It needs only around 8%.
It was made in mix 75mlEA/75mlPG, heated to 145F for 14 hours and than left for 3 weeks before put in freezer for 2 days, filtered trough coffee filter, EA evaporated and filtered trough 1.5 micron filter.

Some other, like Virginia flake came out much gentler and need some 20% but it is wonderfully sweet vape.

So in my tobacco exploration so far I found that I like VaPer blends, especially Perique heavy once.
I like Izmir
and I started to like blend with some gentle Latakia.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread