Tobacco Free Florida Statement On Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It looks like they want us to go back to tobacco and quit the conventional way. Dummies!

The free nicotine replacement therapies they speak of have 7% quit rates according to the data.

"'Those looking to quit using tobacco should focus on what we know works according to the data. The Department of Health and tobacco Free Florida encourage Florida’s smokers to call the Florida Quitline. It is a great resource providing free counseling and free nicotine replacement therapies for those who wish to quit.'"

Noodoggy

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Orlando, FL
Ahh...my new reluctant home state....Just brilliant! Especially compared to what the poster said above...success rate of 7%. If I claimed a 7% success rate at my job...I wouldnt have a job anymore! lol I actually chatted with an online rep at the NIH/CDC about electronic cigarettes, posing as a non-user thinking about smoking. Gave me the CYA line of directing me to the FDA information releases and conclusions. Sad to say our government isnt keeping up with the times. If the government were to use analytical research on ALL forms of nicotine delivery/replacement/etc. it would discover pretty quickly that the traditional methods are no better than continuing to smoke. I however am not going to demonize or entertain a conspiracy against vaping. I just consider them uninformed and will inform and inform and inform and inform. And of course praise every crude, opportunistic and all well meaning attempts to get vaping out in the marketplace where we the smokers can make our health and success known with a thriving industry! Just went to the corner gas station...they got nJoy and disposable e-cigs. Love it! wont buy it but if more people try it they will want it. It was how I started and how I got here =)

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
I watch this news channel every night and frequent their wesite. How did I miss this useless bit of so-called news.I did leave a comment though so maybe with any luck there will be a Useful article on the site or channel sometime in the near future. The number one thing I hear about vaping around here in nowhere land is aren't those really expensive. The second thing I hear is those aren't safe are they. Then the do those actually work? There aren't very many people in Interlachen Florida that know what an e-cig is and there are people that will be curious about them even with a crappy article like that so maybe it will make some people do alittle research and try it out.

Vap0rJay

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Maryland
the only thing that has "led me to believe" is the fact I do have better health since I put down the analogs and started vaping full time. My doctor has been saying things are better with me and my dentist is amazed at the change in my visits for the last year. It doesn't get much more concrete than that!

Take a tissue, have a friend blow smoke through the tissue. Note the yellow nasty lip prints. Now do that w/ your vapor. It's not exactly rocket science - any doof can SEE the difference in a single breath which is better for you.

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
It is interesting to note re: the Florida Quit Line - the American Cancer Society is in the "Quit Line Vendor" business. IRS 990 tax forms show that ACS took in $9,009,812 in annual revenue from quit lines. Also, ACS entered into a licensing agreement in 1996 to the tune of one million dollars annually for use of their logo on Nicoderm CQ and Nicorette. The American Heart Association has a licensing agreement to the tune of 2.5 million annually with Johnson and Johnson for use of the AHA logo on McNeil's "Nicotrol" inhaler (McNeil is a subsidiary of J&J). Behind all of this is the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation which provides major funding to the entire Tobacco Control Industry and profits handsomely. RWJF will pay and do anything necessary to eliminate ANY competition to its "smoking cessation cash cow."

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
It is interesting to note re: the Florida Quit Line - the American Cancer Society is in the "Quit Line Vendor" business. IRS 990 tax forms show that ACS took in $9,009,812 in annual revenue from quit lines. Also, ACS entered into a licensing agreement in 1996 to the tune of one million dollars annually for use of their logo on Nicoderm CQ and Nicorette. The American Heart Association has a licensing agreement to the tune of 2.5 million annually with Johnson and Johnson for use of the AHA logo on McNeil's "Nicotrol" inhaler (McNeil is a subsidiary of J&J). Behind all of this is the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation which provides major funding to the entire Tobacco Control Industry and profits handsomely. RWJF will pay and do anything necessary to eliminate ANY competition to its "smoking cessation cash cow."

Here's our light at the end of the tunnel: The NJOY case now permits companies to market nicotine gum, patches, lozenges, etc. as a tobacco product. Right now Ariva and Stonewall market tobacco lozenges that are similar to the NRT Commit Lozenges, and because they aren't NRT, Ariva and Stonewall are on the market for probably less than 1/4 the cost per lozenge, and in small packages that make them affordable for smokers. The companies can also make products that are more efficient at delivering nicotine without going through the FDA drug requirements.

NRT products will be around for a long, long time, and their benefactors will always be a thorn in our side in some way, but the advent of these new products (as well as our e-cigs) is bound to put a dent in J&J and Pfizer's profits. Less profits will hopefully translate into less money to put into funding the prohibitionists.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
I wish we could get three Free State Projects (Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime) going at once. Get Florida and Oregon into the mix w/ New Hampshire. I just moved back here after over a decade away and I'm not liking how many people seem to have forgotten about freedoms to live. -Magnus

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I went to the Florida Department of Health web site, clicked Contact us, and then Deputy Secretary, which brought up an online form. I entered this and sent it off.

I am pleased to report that research has already been conducted on the safety and effectiveness of the tool that has kept me (and many thousands of others) smoke-free for over two years:

1. Khan Z, Siegel M. Electronic cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy for tobacco control: A step forward or a repeat of past mistakes? J Public Health Policy. 2011 Feb;32(1):16-31. Epub 2010 Dec 9.
2. Bullen C, McRobbie H, Thornley S, Glover M, Lin R, Laugesen M. Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e cigarette) on desire to smoke and withdrawal, user preferences and nicotine delivery: randomised cross-over trial. Tob Control. 2010 Apr;19(2):98-103.
3. Eissenberg T. Electronic nicotine delivery devices: ineffective nicotine delivery and craving suppression after acute administration. Tob Control. 2010 Feb;19(1):87-8.
4. Vansickel AR, Cobb CO, Weaver MF, Eissenberg TE. A clinical laboratory model for evaluating the acute effects of electronic "cigarettes": nicotine delivery profile and cardiovascular and subjective effects. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Aug;19(8):1945-53. Epub 2010 Jul 20.
5. Darredeau C, Campbell M, Temporale K, et al. Subjective and reinforcing effects of electronic cigarettes in male and female smokers. 12th annual meeting of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco Europe. Bath, UK, 2010.
6. University of Auckland. ASCEND: A Study of Smoking Cessation with Electronic Nicotine Devices. ASCEND: A Study of Smoking Cessation with Electronic Nicotine Devices (accessed May 2011)
7. Polosa R. Smoking cessation and reduction with an Electronic Nicotine Delivery Device (ENDD). ClinicalTrials.gov, Bethesda, MA, 2010.
8. Etter JF. Electronic cigarettes: a survey of users. BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 231.
9. Heavner K, Dunworth J, Bergen P, Nissen C, Phillips CV. Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) as potential tobacco harm reduction products: results of an online survey of e-cigarette users. Tob Harm Reduction [Internet]; working paper 011: [about 15 pp]. Available from: Working papers. (tobaccoharmreduction.org) (accessed May 2011)
10. Siegel MB, Tanwar KL, Wood KS. Electronic cigarettes as a smoking-cessation tool: results from an online survey. Am J Prev Med. 2011 Apr;40(4):472-5.
11. Goniewicz ML, Zielinska-Danch W, Koszowski B, Czogala J, Sobczak A. Patterns of use of electronic nicotine delivery devices (ENDS) among Polish e-smokers. 12th annual meeting of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco Europe. Bath, UK, 2010.
12. Dockrell M, Indu SD, Lashkari HG, McNeill A. “It sounds like the replacement I need to help me stop smoking”: Use and acceptability of “e-cigarettes” among UK smokers. 12th annual meeting of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco Europe. Bath, UK, 2010.
13. Exponent Health Sciences, Technical Review and Analysis of FDA Report: “Evaluation of e-cigarettes”. July 30, 2009. http://www.casaa.org/files/Exponent Response-to-the-FDA-Summary.pdf (accessed May 2011)
14. Ben Thomas Group, LLC. Study to Determine Presence of TSNAs in NJOY Vapor. December 9, 2009. Report. http://www.casaa.org/files/Study_TSNAs_in_NJOY_Vapor.pdf (accessed May 2011)
15. Laugesen M. Safety Report on the Ruyan® e-cigarette Cartridge and Inhaled Aerosol. 10- 30-2008. Christchurch, New Zealand, Health New Zealand Ltd. Ref Type: Report
16. Laugesen M. Ruyan e-cigarette bench-top tests. Poster. Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco. Dublin April 2009. http://www.healthnz.co.nz/DublinEcigBenchtopHandout.pdf (accessed May 2011)
17. Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (CASAA). Consumer Survey. https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=HrpzL8PN5cP366RWhWvCTjggiZM_2b8yQJHfwE9UXRNhE_3d

I am interested in your report that children are using these products. According to three of the sources listed above, all of the users are people who smoked. Slightly more than half are age 31-50, and more than 30% are older than 50 (like me). As far as flavors being meant to attract children to use the product, I would like you to take action against a company that has been advertising "Like spearmint candy? You'll love Nicorette Mint mini Lozenges. Like fruit smoothies? You'll love Nicorette Fruit Chill Gum. Like maraschino cherries? You'll love Nicorette Cherry Lozenges." This same company also indulges in false advertising, claiming their product can help smokers quit, when their overall success rate is only 7% or less.

I also submitted the above as a comment on the story, but it is awaiting moderation.

James Wall

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2010
DFW
Spoke to my doctor too when I started. He was very happy given my allergy, like so many others, to the adhesive in the patch. My doctor strongly disagrees with chantix use due to certain other issues I have. He was thrilled with the e-cig. Well, I guess I met the requirement of speaking to my healthcare professional they recommend in the article.

Spoke to my doctor too when I started. He was very happy given my allergy, like so many others, to the adhesive in the patch. My doctor strongly disagrees with chantix use due to certain other issues I have. He was thrilled with the e-cig. Well, I guess I met the requirement of speaking to my healthcare professional they recommend in the article.

Nice! I demonstrated my e-cig in the office in front of my doctor. She wrote in my chart that I am a non-smoker. :D

ChipCurtis

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Do all these ?non-profit?"health" organizations all work from the same cheat sheet that BP supplied them?

If we're talking Florida here, I'd say it's a sure bet that Rick Scott has his hand in these "non-profit" "health" organizations one way or the other. He always magically somehow has already started a company to make profits off of the negative consequences of the insane legislation he passes.

One other example recently has been Scott's "co-incidental" ownership of a drug-testing company that "just happened to appear on the scene" right after he passed legislation to require drug tests for welfare recipients.

Scott is a classic bait-and-switch schemer. At one time he was skimming off Medicare funds for another of his private companies, and had to pay billions back to the gov't, but did NOT end up in jail. So here he is back at his old tricks again.

Demarko

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.twinrosesoftware.com
You certainly get the feeling that almost any strong stance taken anymore has money behind it, driving the position. Maybe it's always been that way and I just wasn't paying attention.

I've been kinda wondering the same thing myself... How much is going on I don't know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread