Tobacco Free Kids Will be Partially Responsible for the Death of Millions Says proffessor

Status
Not open for further replies.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Tobacco Free Kids to Kill Millions Says Proffessor

Brad Rodu
Professor of Medicine
Endowed Chair, tobacco Harm Reduction Research
University of Louisville
writes:

"There is no public health justification for denying smokers information about and access to safer sources of tobacco and nicotine. But the war against tobacco, conducted by Tobacco Free Kids and their allies, is not about public health. It has become the latest in a long line of misguided American moral crusades." ................... (follow link for more)

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Tobacco Free Kids to Kill Millions Says Proffessor

Brad Rodu
Professor of Medicine
Endowed Chair, Tobacco Harm Reduction Research
University of Louisville
writes:

"There is no public health justification for denying smokers information about and access to safer sources of tobacco and nicotine. But the war against tobacco, conducted by Tobacco Free Kids and their allies, is not about public health. It has become the latest in a long line of misguided American moral crusades." ................... (follow link for more)

Rodu is telling it like it is. Wish I lived near Louisville.

C.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I don't know if I'm stereotyping US folk when I say there seem to be a lot of extremists there pushing to have their way declared the correct way. To me it appears to be a cultural trait, fundamentalist/extremist thinking is seen as normal. (Sorry to US folk if I'm being unfair.)

Hopefully the voice of reason, fairness and justice will prevail.

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
I don't know if I'm stereotyping US folk when I say there seem to be a lot of extremists there pushing to have their way declared the correct way. To me it appears to be a cultural trait, fundamentalist/extremist thinking is seen as normal. (Sorry to US folk if I'm being unfair.)

I think you are correct Kate :oops:

I've lived here for something like 13 or 14 years now and thats the way it is! (doesn't bother me cause I know I'm right) 8-o

badkat

Mar 21, 2009
CA, USA
These people are not your enemy. The more noise the better. It's the noise that garners attention in order for "reason, fairness and justice" to get a chance to prevail. In every decision-making process lots of voices are binned because they're unreasonable .. but the sum of all the voices is what brought the issue to the attention of the decision makers.

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA

It's not that the majority of Americans are extremists/fundamentalists. It's simply those are the people with the loudest voices, coupled with the fact that our government has become so polarized the only way for a politician to keep his job is to pander them.

If the media is to believed, everyone here is pressured to pick a side on every issue, and to hate everyone with an opposing view. Sadly, some buy into it...

It's very difficult to be an activist moderate :)

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
It's not that the majority of Americans are extremists/fundamentalists. It's simply those are the people with the loudest voices, coupled with the fact that our government has become so polarized the only way for a politician to keep his job is to pander them.

If the media is to believed, everyone here is pressured to pick a side on every issue, and to hate everyone with an opposing view. Sadly, some buy into it...

It's very difficult to be an activist moderate :)

Yes, I bet most people are moderate and balanced and, like anywhere, the loudest get heard the most.

It's the presentation of sides by the media that maybe strikes me or the lack of balance by activists.

In the UK our anti smokers - ASH have not condemned vaping. They've said they can only recommend approved cessation products but that vaping might one day be a good alternative. That seems more realistic than a flat out call for bans to me.

Political lobbying here is different too, I'm not sure that money and pressure have the same influence on legislation.

EDIT:
To add -

Or if your not with us, you are a terrorist.

I've heard that view and it scares me because it implies everything is simplistic and clear cut. It encourages people to make emotional choices rather than use cognitive reasoning and measurements of seriousness.

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Note that our moderate ally, Dr. Nitzkin, praises the PROMISE of e-smoking. Read his language carefully. He's really good! Now, that's the route to take and it's good we have one sane, scientific voice on our side.

Do not kill this baby before it has a chance to mature!

Screaming and name-calling might make the evening news, but won't win converts to our cause.

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Yep, these well meaning zealots are responsible for FAR more suffering and death than they care about or realize.

Hope the brady people sleep well at night having been responsible for depriving people of the basic human right of self defense.

Two quotes from my file which seem appropriate:

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficient . . . the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -- Justice Louis Brandeis

“When seconds count, your police are just minutes away”!!! -- unknown.

Not exactly on topic, I realize, but the same mentality is reflected :-(.

If we only had any pols left with integrity rather than selling their own and our souls for a ticket to the earmark train, sigh, cry...

James

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Wales, UK.
www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk
Unfortunately Rodu doesn't think we will prevail:

The American legislative process is closed to all but a few powerful interests, who will soon be gloating over their "success" in passing FDA regulation of tobacco. I am convinced that these anti-tobacco extremists will eventually be held partially responsible for the deaths of millions of uninformed smokers.

Not being American I can't really comment on that. Having an ex-Tobacco Free Kids man in the White House can't help things, though...

joannadiva

May 5, 2009

Not to be disrespectful but this country was founded by people who were too uptight to be British...

Home of the free...only if you do it their way

Bryn

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2009
Arkansas, USA
Not to be disrespectful but this country was founded by people who were too uptight to be British...

Home of the free...only if you do it their way

My Scottish ancestors were kicked out of Scotland to make room for sheep, thrown on ship bounded for wild and savage America. (Clearance of Highlanders).

So here I am... a screwed up American. :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread