Tobacco smoker wanting to quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
Mexico
Hello everyone. Well.. I want to quit smoking tobacco. Been a moderate consumer for 15 years, between 10 and 15 cigarretes/day, but since the last few years in several ocassions I found myself burning a pack of 24. I have tried several "cold-turkey" with no avail. Tobacco, coffee and computer, that is my routine work. So I read about the world of vaping. A lot. My question to start with was "what is the simplest flavor-chasing thing around?" It seems that a sub ohm tank with pre-fabricated coils and a medium-power mod (something around 80 watts) were the good answer. But choices are rather unlimited. So I would appreciate your advice, forum. Should I get a full kit or a combination of brand A mod with compatible brand B sub ohm tank? I insist. Flavor is priority (probably I will go for a 0.6 mg nicotine juice to start). Thanks in advance.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :)
The generic advice for new vapers around here has for some time been to get a pico 25 kit with the melo3 tank it generally comes with, 2 or 3 non rewrap batteries (which means Sony, LG, or Samsung), and a decent charger. The pico is compact, reliable, and powerful enough. Avoid fake batteries by buying from a reputable dealer (NOT EBAY)

There are other kits other folks here may mention which are every bit as good. This just happens to be what i repetitively see suggested here so I am regurgitating the data.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. The Pico is an excellent choice as a starter. You might also look at a Kanger Topbox kit. I like them for new vapers because they are very flexible and have coils available for various different regimes of vaping. They go to, if memory serves, 75 watts. In case you don't know, 75-80 watts is pretty powerful. Seriously. Blow your head off powerful, especially with 6mg or better juice. I've been vaping for years, and I rarely see the upside of 40 watts. Everyone's different: maybe you'll like the high-power regime. But I'll be surprised if you do, right when starting out. Note also, if you really intend to vape in the 80 watt range, you'll do a lot better with a 2-battery mod. Both the Pico an the Kanger are 1-battery machines. You can-- barely-- get 70ish watts out of them, but it's pushing them.

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
Mexico
Thanks a lot. The istick pico + melo is easy to get here, so as the coils. The guy at the store also recommended a vaporesso swag kit (80wat), about same price and quite similar as for aspect so far. There are no 2-battery mods 75-80 w here :-( He also said that importing e-cig equippment is restricted in Mexico unless being a distributor... so I will write to my friends in USA, they come often. By the way, in the store I tried the vaporesso swag and also another big thing a Smok Priv 220w, both with a tobacco-caramel-bourbon juice 0.3 mg nicotine. My very first time of vape and it was.. gloriuos. Sincerely I found de vaporesso yielded better flavor, but the review of the melo tank had excellent points too. So flip a coin vaporesso swag vs pico ? The 220W is too much..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks a lot. The istick pico + melo is easy to get here, so as the coils. The guy at the store also recommended a vaporesso swag kit (80wat), about same price and quite similar as for aspect so far. There are no 2-battery mods 75-80 w here :-( He also said that importing e-cig equippment is restricted in Mexico unless being a distributor... so I will write to my friends in USA, they come often. By the way, in the store I tried the vaporesso swag and also another big thing a Smok Priv 220w, both with a tobacco-caramel-bourbon juice 0.3 mg nicotine. My very first time of vape and it was.. gloriuos. Sincerely I found de vaporesso yielded better flavor, but the review of the melo tank had excellent points too. So flip a coin vaporesso swag vs pico ? The 220W is too much..
The two battery mod thing gets into the rather confusing subject of mod wattage inflation.

The simplest way to put it is that when a mod says it will do 80 watts on a single battery it’s basically lying outright (well, not quite, but that’s the complicated explanation). A single battery mod will do 40w reasonably comfortably with 60w at the outside. If you ACTUALLY want to vape at 80w you need a 2 battery mod which while rated for 200-220w will actually only do 90-120w tips in the real world.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The two battery mod thing gets into the rather confusing subject of mod wattage inflation.

The simplest way to put it is that when a mod says it will do 80 watts on a single battery it’s basically lying outright (well, not quite, but that’s the complicated explanation). A single battery mod will do 40w reasonably comfortably with 60w at the outside. If you ACTUALLY want to vape at 80w you need a 2 battery mod which while rated for 200-220w will actually only do 90-120w tips in the real world.
Swag fall in that “just as good as” catagory. Buy whichever tickles your fancy

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
Mexico
Ok my intention to move into vaping is to quit tobacco and eventually quit vaping too, so I may choose a 75-80w thing to vape on the 40-50 w range or 220-230°C temperature. Pico + melo seems attractive.. the guy at the store recommended coils on the 0.3 - 0.6 ohm range.. How about that?

mmm.... coils with less ohms yield better flavor or the opposite?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ok my intention to move into vaping is to quit tobacco and eventually quit vaping too, so I may choose a 75-80w thing to vape on the 40-50 w range or 220-230°C temperature. Pico + melo seems attractive.. the guy at the store recommended coils on the 0.3 - 0.6 ohm range.. How about that?

mmm.... coils with less ohms yield better flavor or the opposite?
That setup will be fine.

However, with regulated mods (variable wattage) coil resistance is irrelevant. Wattage setting is what is relevant. You can adjust the wattage setting to suit your preference regardless what the coil resistance happens to be.

With an unregulated, mechanical mod coil resistance is relevant. The only way to adjust to your preference is to change coil resistance (ohm) because you're drawing directly from the battery, not a regulator chip.

Different flavors will taste different with different coils, different tanks, et al. Some people's experience will be that lower ohms make flavors taste better, while others will say they make the vapor too hot or taste burnt. Or vice versa.

I personally find that lower ohms make fruit flavors taste burnt, but others will say they bring out the flavor better. Only experience with a particular flavor will speak the truth for you.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Sounds fine. You should be able to fire the .3 well below 40w with no problem. The .6 should fire even lower. In any case coil cartridges are easy to change out and don’t last very long so if you change your mind you can just change your coil.

Yodara

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2018
Kenya
I have to say: Yeah, there is a trend to sub-ohm, you can do it, but I see no need for it. I vape daily with 1,8 ohm - takes up less juice, excellent flavour no matter which liquid. More ohm doesn't mean = better. Seriously. People may disagree, but as a beginner, you really don't need that. And again, it costs more (depending on watt etc. too). Sub-ohm takes up more liquid. Just something to think about;)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thank you all. Very useful info. It has cleared up a large proportion of my confussion. This is a whole new planet indeed..

Just to be succinct - flavor chasing is as a general rule done at lower wattages, and cloud chasing at the higher wattages.

I'm super happy (elated, really) with the flavor of my vape, and I vape at 13 watts. I'm using a two battery mod atm and loving the battery life I'm getting (4 days run time on one set of batteries)

When you first start vaping, your doing more figuring out your own sweet spot, the place your happy than anything else.

The Pico provides the range you will need to experiment around and find what style of vaping suits you best and at a lower price point. It's why it's recommended more often than not.

The atomizer tank, and not the mod, is what you will want to concentrate on once you know what style of inhalation/vaping you prefer.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You are getting good advice. I will simply add a) welcome to ECF. and b) at the end of the day, start with what appeals to you most. I would get a mod capable of both MTL and DL, and then start with one, see how you like it, and go from there.

I prefer MTL for flavor, you can certainly get some decent clouds if you wish on a MTL vape, depending on your juice and it is accurate that MTL uses less juice at a higher nicotine level, and is more cost effective in that manner. You may find you progress to wanting more clouds or higher wattages, but tanks tend to be less expensive than mods (with some notable exceptions) but there are good options either way.

MTL is more similar to smoking in "draw" than DL, but everyone vapes differently and has different preferences, and starting somewhere is what matters. This time around I started with DL (gift from my quitting vaping son) and hated it. But it cost me little, error wise, to find some setups I liked and I kind of went from there. I'm set on equipment really, in fact I need to stop buying it.

Best of luck and finding the right "tasting" set of juices is also important. Many vape shops will let you taste test, so doing that would be a good plan as well.

Welcome to ECF, and hopefully vaping happily very soon. It's great that you are doing your research first.

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello everyone. Well.. I want to quit smoking tobacco. Been a moderate consumer for 15 years, between 10 and 15 cigarretes/day, but since the last few years in several ocassions I found myself burning a pack of 24. I have tried several "cold-turkey" with no avail. Tobacco, coffee and computer, that is my routine work. So I read about the world of vaping. A lot. My question to start with was "what is the simplest flavor-chasing thing around?" It seems that a sub ohm tank with pre-fabricated coils and a medium-power mod (something around 80 watts) were the good answer. But choices are rather unlimited. So I would appreciate your advice, forum. Should I get a full kit or a combination of brand A mod with compatible brand B sub ohm tank? I insist. Flavor is priority (probably I will go for a 0.6 mg nicotine juice to start). Thanks in advance.
Welcome and glad you joined.
"When buying your first kit, go with one of the older, reliable ones over a hyped-up newer one.
I would advise them to buy older well know devices with good reviews and to avoid buying something just because its trending. Someone just switching from tobacco cigarettes does not need a sub-ohm tank and a 150 watt box mod. Start out with a basic eGo type starter kit or if you want something a bit more advanced try an Aspire Nautilus Mini and an iStick 20 or 30."
Might like to read:
Beginners, Listen – Words of Wisdom From 10 Master Vapers | Vape-Resource.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread