Tobacco Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timberwear

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Arizona
I have experimented with tobacco tea before...

Once I would make a big pot of herbs and drink that liquid throughout the day, tobacco was included.

Someone I got back to smoking.

Anyone try it? I have a nice cup of earl grey/tobacco iced tea sitting next to me. haha... i'm going to try to see if I can simply switch to making tea a few times a day. Instead of inhaling anything...

I used half of a winston cigarette... steeped it in boiling water for 5 minutes. From what I remember it feels exactly like a cigarette. Almost exactly...

I'll update this.

Timberwear

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Arizona
Yeah well generally i have only used organic tobacco.

well it doesn't matter at this point. i'm going to just try to completely quit tobacco altogether. i tried last month and almost did it.. either way, givin it another go...

tobacco tea is kinda nasty actually. i spose it could be an acquired taste.. like say, coffee...

but you can get sick from it if you overdo the tobacco in it... so its definitely less risky to just smoke a cigarette. or obviously vape.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I honestly had never even thought about doing something like that timber. There was alot of discussion in the past about soaking tobacco in pg or vg and then vaping it. Especially in the " are we getting it" thread. Obviously quitting tobacco would be the best solution but some people like me don't seem to function well without it or just sink into depression without the WTA's. Good luck to you. I hope for your sake that you are able to quit. If you do, it would be appreciated if you kept us updated on how you are doing say 6-8 weeks after your quit date.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 14, 2009
    The edge of Mayhem
    This can't be a good idea. If tobacco companies really add 4000+ chemicals to the tobacco in cigarettes, you're steeping those to make the tea! Please don't do this! :ohmy:

Contrary to popular belief, they don't add that many chemicals. It's a secret (although known to FDA) how many they actually add, but largely that 4000 number comes from the amount of different chemicals found in cigarette smoke, not cigarette tobacco. To make a tea from organic tobacco is most likely a healthier alternative to BT company tobacco, but since tobacco is a chemical sponge, even organic can have some nasty stuff depending on the soil. That's why Swedish snus is made from Asian 'baccy instead of US.

but you can get sick from it if you overdo the tobacco in it... so its definitely less risky to just smoke a cigarette. or obviously vape.

Nope, stick to your tea, Timber. In all the world, in any form under the sun, the smoke of tobacco is far more toxic and carcinogenic than to partake of it in any other form. Tea is an interesting concept and could be beneficial. To get a toxic amount of nicotine you'd have to boil down a fairly large amount, not the typical gram amount of a cigarette. Now, if you were to boil down the goo of a gram of tobacco to, say, a pea and pop it in your mouth you might feel oogie.

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
    May 29, 2010
    New York
    mostlylinux.wordpress.com
    Yeah well generally i have only used organic tobacco.

That would be better. :)

well it doesn't matter at this point. i'm going to just try to completely quit tobacco altogether. i tried last month and almost did it.. either way, givin it another go...

I hope you succeed this time! :toast:

Contrary to popular belief, they don't add that many chemicals. It's a secret (although known to FDA) how many they actually add, but largely that 4000 number comes from the amount of different chemicals found in cigarette smoke, not cigarette tobacco.

Ah, good to know, thanks! :D

To make a tea from organic tobacco is most likely a healthier alternative to BT company tobacco, but since tobacco is a chemical sponge, even organic can have some nasty stuff depending on the soil. That's why Swedish snus is made from Asian 'baccy instead of US.

Yeah, my worry was that the OP used a Winston... :ohmy:

sunset

ECF Veteran
    Oct 17, 2009
    Contrary to popular belief, they don't add that many chemicals. It's a secret (although known to FDA) how many they actually add, but largely that 4000 number comes from the amount of different chemicals found in cigarette smoke, not cigarette tobacco. To make a tea from organic tobacco is most likely a healthier alternative to BT company tobacco, but since tobacco is a chemical sponge, even organic can have some nasty stuff depending on the soil. That's why Swedish snus is made from Asian 'baccy instead of US.

TV, I'm just now finding your post. I know I'm, also, one that bought the cool aid about a lot of chemicals added to cigarette tobacco...know I've read and heard it.

Now what you've said makes sense when I was reading an article on pipe tobacco. Basely by Sept. 20 pipe tobacco mfg. are encouraged to submit to the FDA where pipe tobacco is different than cigarette tobacco. There's a bill that is being proposed to increase tax on pipe tobacco and it appears a lot of RYO cigarette tobacco suppliers are now labeling their product Pipe Tobacco to avoid their tax increase.

As I'm reading what they're submitting, everyone seems to just be talking about the cut and moisture of the tobacco or to be Grandfathered in as Pipe Tobacco....nowhere did I find anything on chemicals.

In fact, I read the article twice...just looking for 'chemicals' being mentioned, that would be less/different in pipe tobacco than cigarettes and it wasn't there and I know I've read that one before, also....(less in pipe tobacco.)

Thanks for clearing that up for me, it's in the smoke - not tobacco.

Pipe Tobacco vs. Roll-Your-Own - What’s the Definition? | Pipes Magazine - Community for the 21st Century Tobacco Pipe Smoker

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    I took another look at this topic, and found this list of additives in cigarettes. 8-o
    I wouldn't take that list to seriously. The anti-tobacco gang pushed the idea of added chemicals... and especially ammonia... as part of their anti-smoking campaign. Nearly all of the chemicals that are added are for flavor. For the most part it has become an urban myth that even the PV crowd latched on to. BT does do a lot of manipulation of their tobacco but mostly so they can get a consistent product. Tobacco can have a lot of variation depending on how the growing season went... dry, wet, etc.

In case you're interested if you burn some wood in your summer campfire you'll get about the same amount of chemicals as smoking. Unfortunately no nicotine.

Last edited:

Timberwear

ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2010
    Arizona
    Well im back. I've been sorta playing around with my smoking frequency the past 6 or 7 months. I never really kept trying the tobacco tea much. I did notice smoking definitely has its negatives.. of course with the positives. Like.. the positives are obvious to everyone here. The medicinal properties are great with tobacco. Maybe other herbs would work also sure... but its relatively cheap and heck it works yadda yadda..

For me depression..anxiety..anger. I think tobacco helps me well I know. Ive had depression verrry severe for half my life. Tobacco smoking really works.. although who knows to what extent that's another topic.

Regardless I've noticed in slowing smoking wayyyy down them beginning again.. what I don't really like is just the mere fact im inhaling smoke. Pretty sure that alone has a tendency to kinda dull your ability to be more excited (or is that tobacco itself I don't know)

Okay to the point.. im simply just going to make tea. I already know the symptoms of my "depression" when it starts surfacing and ESPECIALLY the two to three week mark even when im smokin just 1 cigarette a day.

After some prayer its just what im being guided to... making the tea. Definitely not enough to DIE lol of course.. just a pinch and ill figure out if it works.

Im not a snuser id rather smoke if the tobacco tea doesn't cut it.

But it'd be hella cool to get to a point where I could grow a few tobacco plants to last me a year.. (tea)...

And ill definitely keep anyone reading this, updated. I just drank a good cup and I feel good.. and last week I pretty much cut way back on smoking so I don't have to deal with the smoke withdrawals. That's all I got... lataH

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I read this thread for the first time yesterday and happened to run across this information -

Dietary Contributions to Nicotine Body Burden - 1995

"Recent USDA food intake surveys are used to perform a probabilistic analysis of dietary intake of nicotine. Using limited data on nicotine content of foodstuffs (tea, tomato, potato, green pepper, and eggplant) and the 198991 Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals (CSDII), the absorbed dose of nicotine is shown to be significant compared to present day environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) nicotine exposures."

"Using the available data for nicotine in 10 brands of brewed tea (2 instant and 8 leaves) tea nicotine concentration is modeled as a lognormal distribution (with a mean of 68.9 ng of nicotine per gram of brewed tea and a standard deviation of 75 ng/g)."

"The dietary tea dose was calculated using the daily tea intake, the concentration of nicotine in tea, and the absorption factor. Using @RISK simulation for 25,000 trials the average absorbed nicotine dose for those who drink tea is 12.5 mg/d. The median is about 5 mg/d. The 95th percentile for the entire US population aged 18 years and older is 22 mg/d.

The dietary contributions of absorbed nicotine dose are significant when compared to present ETS exposures. A recent study of workplace ETS exposure results in mean and median absorbed nicotine doses of 11 and 3 mg/d, respectively. Thus, ETS exposure analysis based on total nicotine absorption needs to consider dietary intake. This includes the use of cotinine (a major metabolite of nicotine) which has been a widely used biomarker"

Abstract from 1995 SRA Annual Meeting

Not directly related to your discussion, but an interesting study

Seanl

Dec 2, 2011
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Also not directly related.

When I was around 17 I took pipe tobacco and soaked it in water for two days.
    I filtered the tobacco out then added powdered litchi flavoured fruit juice blend and drank it.

Was the most horrendous experience I have ever had.

The worst nicotine rush in history that lasted for around 6 hours.

needless to say I have never been able to drink anything with nicotine or litchi in since.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread