Tobacco to Flavor Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
I have been vaping NET’s for over four years now and mostly hybrids. I am not interested in extracting tobaccos so I recently purchased some extract from NET.com.

I originally tried his Pistachio pipe tobacco already mixed into an eliquid. The pistachio flavor was non-existent as generally is the case with tobacco leaves that have been laced with a flavor. I added TFA pistachio flavor to enhance it (I also have FA pistachio which I have not tried). I have since purchased NET.com Pistachio pipe tobacco extract. I need help in determing how much NET to use and how much pistachio to use. <3 pistachio eliquids and especially Charlie Noble Pistachio RY4 however the VG percent just got too high for me. I have tried some DIY CN PRY4 made with synethic tobacco that friends have made however it is more desserty whereas I find the original CN version to be more of a savory flavor. The original PRY4 is a mild tobacco that accents the savory, nutty pistachio notes. With the original version I get the pistachio on the inhale that turns into a slightly creamy blend. If anyone has had CN PRY4 and has a good DIY recipe using either synethic or NET would appreciate if you can share it. On a side note someone had told me to add almond plus the pistachio flavor to get more of the savory taste.

I also have some of NET.com’s Coconut Almond pipe extract. I stupidly did not think to purchase a small bottle of his ready mix eliquid to get an idea of what this tastes like although I am thinking the coconut and almond are probably not there. Again I need assistance in how much to use of the coconut almond extract plus the coconut and almond flavors. Both flavors I have the FA version.

For those that are familiar with hybrid NETs you already know that the flavors are upfront in the beginning with a short steep or FOOB whereas the tobacco is in the background. Once it has had a long steep, the tobacco moves forward and the flavors start to fade away. I like flavors I can taste so I generally order extract flavor and vape it sooner than later although I have had some hybrids from NET.com where the tobacco is very tasty even once the flavors have faded, I.e., Muths Mix (natural cavendish and coconut) and although I get no pistacho in the Pistachio pipe tobacco, I also like the tobacco in this which I believe is primarily Virginia with some black Cavendish.

Appreciate any suggestions any one may have.

Reactions: Str8vision

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Making hybrid NET is a delicate task because genuine tobacco flavor is surprisingly delicate and easily overpowered by the secondary flavorings. What I learned is to add the secondary flavorings at small percentages, sample, then add additional flavoring until reaching a perfect balance. Different flavorings have different effects on genuine tobacco flavor so there is no tried and true rule of thumb concerning percentages. Over time the flavor of a Hybrid change more dramatically than a straight NET so I never mix more than I can use in a six month period. Personally, I like using VaPers to make hybrids and allow the VaPer to mature for several months before mixing in the secondary flavorings. Once mixed I allow the hybrid to age for a few weeks before putting it into rotation.

The best thing about making your own hybrids is that you can make it to suit your individual taste preference rather than settling for a one-size-fits-all ready made retail NET. More often than not I find the retail offerings too sweet and the tobacco element too far in the background. I like the tobacco up front, the star of the show. :)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
For normal PG based extracts made from pipe tobacco I use between 15 and 25% extract when mixing NET. Some tobacco blends produce a robust extract and some don't so the exact percentage depends on the potency of the extract. When making NET from a concentrated ethanol based extract I use between 7 and 12% extract. For hybrids I use/mix regular strength NET, I never reduce the amount of extract just because I'm going to add secondary flavorings. I do however prefer to use VaPers and other light to moderate strength NETS rather than robust/intense tobaccos.

After mixing the NET I allow it to age for a couple of months before adding secondary (synthetic) flavorings, that way the tobacco flavor has matured. However, you can shake-n-vape. It won't be as good but is still quite tasty.

If I were going to add a single flavoring (like caramel) to the aged NET I'd start by drawing off 10ml of the NET to work/experiment with. Then I'd add 2 to 3% of the flavoring and work from there. Like with most DIY allowing the mix to age helps bring the flavor out but shake-n-vape works in a pinch.

If you're going to be adding multiple flavorings I'd start by adding 1% of each and work from there. Same as with normal DIY mixing, the more flavorings in a mix the lower the percentages of each.

Some flavorings (like Lotus) are super concentrated and require much smaller percentages. Lotus Blueberry (my favorite blueberry) for example requires only 0.5% or less, anything more is -way- too much. It's always a good idea to see what percentages other DIY'ers are using when mixing a new flavoring in order to gauge it's strength.

Be patient, meticulous and persistent and you'll end up creating the best hybrid you've ever tasted because it will have been made to specifically suit your personal preferences. It just takes a little time and work. Once you've got a recipe down the work's done and you'll be able to make 100ml in just minutes anytime you so desire.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
The individual taste buds thang is gonna come into play here!
I've only tried a couple of hybrids (I think mainly 'cos I luv My NETs & don't wanna risk screwing one up with arti-flavours!!..) Apple & Cherry flavours work, to a degree, altho' the only one that I've mixed more than once is a 30% NET/3% Inawara Walnut/2% Inawara Honey/1% F'Art MTS juice.
Even at only 2% tho', the Honey is the predominant flavour in da mix.
This post is just My p'worth to go with Mr. Straight's advice above!!

Reactions: Str8vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread