Tobacco Users Beware: Smoking Can Be Hazardous to Your Wealth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
tobacco taxes set to skyrocket...

New Federal Tobacco Tax Means Michigan Smokers Getting Double Taxed - Associated Content

(FOR EXAMPLE)

Starting in April, the tax on some of those items will go up by as much as 2200 percent.

"We're the ones that keep getting hit."

Robert Loch is a smoker. He says while he understands the country's in dire financial straits, he doesn't agree with continually increasing the tax on tobacco products to help make up for it.

The current unbridled greed of both federal and state governments in fleecing as much profit as they can from tobacco sales to pay for budget shortfalls may encourage many smokers (like myself) to switch to e-cigarettes. Of course they will do everything in their power to ban electronic smoking products until such time as they may be able to both regulate them to death and to tax the bejesus out of them.

It seems to me that they are showing as little compassion for low income people affected by this as they seem to be ignorant by apparently shooting themselves in the foot. At no point has the government ever considered BANNING the stuff. No, only to vilify it in order to placate the anti-smoking nazis. Let's see the thing for what it is. Pure, unmitigated, overzealous greed.

I've been able to purchase medication I've required (in my case, valium) cheaply over the Internet from foreign countries for quite a number of years and thanks to forums like this one. Hopefully no matter what happens here in the U.S., e-smoking will continue to be an option to those of us that would like to tell their state and federal governments that, on this issue, they can just go stuff themselves.

Federal tobacco tax increases:

On April 1st of this year the Federal Government will be raising the tax on a pack of cigarettes from 39 cents per pack to $1.01 per pack.
Large cigar tax will go up to about 40 cents per cigar from a nickel per cigar.
Small cigar tax will go up to a $1 per pack from 4 cents.
Pipe tobacco tax from $1.10 per pound to $2.83 per pound.
Chewing tobacco tax from 19.5 cents to 50.3 cents per pound.
Snuff tax from 53.5 cents to $1.51 per pound.
Loose tobacco tax (roll your own) from $1.10 to $24.78 per pound.

In Michigan, the folks that roll their own will be getting hit the hardest. With the combined Federal and state tax, the average price of popular rolling tobacco will go up from about $20 per one pound bag to $70 per bag.

The federal increase comes after a series of cigarette tax increases by dozens of states over the last five years. The trend has driven up cigarette prices and is expected to continue.

So far this year, 16 states have considered legislation to increase cigarette taxes, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

In 2007, tobacco tax hikes passed in 11 states. Last year, 20 states debated increases, but only two passed. They were unusually large -- a $1 hike in Massachusetts and $1.25 in New York. At $2.75 a pack, New York has the country's highest cigarettes taxes.

Two factors have the potential to spark another wave of tax hikes this year, tobacco analysts said. The prolonged economic downturn has created budget deficits in nearly every state. Lawmakers generally face less resistance to increasing 'sin taxes' than income taxes or sales taxes paid by everyone.

The fact that Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, a former tobacco lobbyist, is backing a state tobacco tax hike "is the clearest indication yet that policy makers see the writing on the wall," said Pete Fisher, vice president for state issues for the advocacy group Tobacco-Free Kids.

"They have budget gaps to fill. Lots of governors see they can raise cigarette taxes without facing a backlash from voters who might oppose other kinds of tax increases," Fisher said.

Payne, the Reynolds spokesman, said the hike Obama signed Wednesday could hurt states that rely heavily on cigarette taxes. The volume declines prompted by the new federal rate will also cut state cigarette tax revenues, he said.

"They're not going to get the money they're expecting," he said.

Manufacturers hike cigarette prices in advance of April 1 taxes

While Schip was being debated - Big Tobacco argued that higher taxes (read prices) would adversely impact lower income consumers.

Ahead of a massive tobacco tax increase on April 1, PM and Lorillard weighed in and increased cigarette prices - 9 to 18 cents a pack.

Customers are going to have a difficult enough time funding their smoking pleasures from April 1 without manufacturers raising prices as well in this economy.

Last edited:

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
That was just 1 of the reasons I decided to try esmoking. Government has been using us for too long for income. No one complains because we're all sinners and no one has compassion for us "dirty smokers". I'd like to see all alcohol with the exception of beer taxed like crazy. No I don't like beer but it is the drink of choice for us poor folk. Hard liquor should be taxed the most. Think of all the money they could get from that. But you know they won't pass that law. That would hit them in the pocket for once.

skullsoup432

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
Michigan USA
What about fast food and the fat content, lets see the government tax them.
Get three items off a dollar menu and it cost $12.00. Well, true, you are only paying a buck for the food, but the US gov't needs money for (your guess is as good as mine) and has raised the tax on it. How many of your friends and neighbors would let that slide?
That $5.55 pizza you like Little Caesars? Now it is $22.00. We can do this to protect you from yourself. You don't need all that sat fat, sodium etc.
The bad thing is we are already heading there, it is just the masses will not got off there a**es and do anything till it effects their life.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
The part that makes me feel so mad is that they don't do it because they care in the least about our health ....they do it because they want our money and they use health as an excuse for doing it. ...It's the divide and conquer method of taxation....as long as they keep picking on certain groups only they can ensure they wont have 'everyone' getting upset.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Big Tobacco was watching a lawsuit reported on here not long ago. BT lost that suit, and while the damages award wouldn't bankrupt them, the precedent it set could. In Florida alone, there are 8,000 more suits against Big Tobacco heading to court. Damages could easily total billions of dollars in a year or two.

Guess who will pay the damages? Smokers, not corporations, will pay.

And so the price of cigarettes continues to go up. Get used to it 'cause it will only get worse. Smokers are societal scum, an unwanted minority, and Big Tobacco is really, really scared that the courts will do what the legislative branch could never bring itself to do: Make smoking vanish.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Canada loses $400 million to cigarette smuggling
Giant Banner on Parliament Hill Urges President Obama to Stop Cigarette Smuggling from the U.S. to Canada, February 19, 2009.

Countries meet to curb illegal cigarette trafficking
More than 150 countries are meeting to curb the illegal trafficking of cigarettes. October 22, 2008

US House of Rep passes Cigarette Anti-Smuggling bill
The US House of Representative passed a anti-smuggling bill that aims to crack down on the black market trade in cigarettes. November 09, 2008

Over $1 billion laundered in Mafia controlled cigarette smuggling ring
July 10, 2008

and etc.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Let's see, a pack of cigarettes in China costs: about 60 cents.

And the rest is?

Meanwhile in New York the cost of a pack of cigarettes is about to top $10.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/02/08/Pack_of_cigarettes_to_top_10_in_New_York/UPI-51861234110835/

I imagine more people will consider growing their own tobacco. The most difficult aspect of that as I recall was the question of how to shred it for making cigarettes. I couldn't ever find a machine when I looked a few years ago, but now they have one imported from Sweden, here:

Home Tobacco Cutting/Shredding Machine

Last edited:

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
Big Tobacco was watching a lawsuit reported on here not long ago. BT lost that suit, and while the damages award wouldn't bankrupt them, the precedent it set could. In Florida alone, there are 8,000 more suits against Big Tobacco heading to court. Damages could easily total billions of dollars in a year or two.

I thought there was some big settlement to the government (in the USA) some years ago that exempted tobacco companies from further lawsuits. Am I confusing this with something else?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
There was a huge settlement. It could not exempt individuals from pursuing wrongful death lawsuits against companies. And that's what's being done now. Spouses of dead smokers are seeking revenge. One spouse at a time. In the U.S., there are 400,000 such spouses EACH YEAR. All could put out a hand. Gimme.

The money from the old suit was distributed to states -- and they laid waste to the purpose for which it was intended. Florida began with anti-smoking ads, etc., but now the funds seem headed for the "general fund". Other states didn't even pretend to spend it as intended. They just used it instead of raising taxes.

What a shame those results were. All they really accomplished were increases in the price of cigarettes.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
There was a huge settlement.... The money from the old suit was distributed to states -- and they laid waste to the purpose for which it was intended. Florida began with anti-smoking ads, etc., but now the funds seem headed for the "general fund". Other states didn't even pretend to spend it as intended. They just used it instead of raising taxes.

Up in Smoke
How greed, hubris and high-stakes lobbying laid waste to the $246 billion tobacco settlement
http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/up_in_smoke/

Tobacco settlement money going up in smoke
Anti-tobacco push stagnates as states siphon off millions
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/v-printer/story/596870.html

Budget Woes Expose Rifts Over Tobacco Money
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/us/14florida.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
There was a huge settlement. It could not exempt individuals from pursuing wrongful death lawsuits against companies. And that's what's being done now. Spouses of dead smokers are seeking revenge. One spouse at a time. In the U.S., there are 400,000 such spouses EACH YEAR. All could put out a hand. Gimme.

The money from the old suit was distributed to states -- and they laid waste to the purpose for which it was intended. Florida began with anti-smoking ads, etc., but now the funds seem headed for the "general fund". Other states didn't even pretend to spend it as intended. They just used it instead of raising taxes.

What a shame those results were. All they really accomplished were increases in the price of cigarettes.

Wow, I thought it was a once-and-for-all exemption; that sucks.
To be honest, I don't have much sympathy for smokers - including myself - (or drinkers or overweight to the point of serious health risks for that matter). You pays your money and takes your chances...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread