Tobacco withdrawal symptoms when using e-cig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsoldi

Jun 24, 2009
I got me an eGo-C and am using 24 mg liquid. Used to smoke about 20 analogs a day and completely stopped 20 days ago and now I only use my ecig. The thing is, even though I enjoy vaping and it kills my cravings, I've been feeling many of the psychological withdrawal symptoms such as depression and anxiety. And they don't seem to be going away.

Seems like is quite common for vapers to feel depression after two or three weeks of vaping according to this post. Have you ever had this experience and if so, did it go away after a while? How long did it take to go away?

USMARINE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Fortunately, I nad no symptoms described in your post. I actually became pretty happy and excited about the whole vaping thing. I started reading a ton of stuff here and have learned so much in a short time. I started buying numerous mods and accessories which I enjoy immensely. My wife looks at them and rolls her eyes but is happy I am no longer smoking cigarettes so she doesn't give me a hard time about it.

I do hope you are feeling better soon!

sywagon

Apr 25, 2013
Late Devonian, USA
It has been over two weeks for me. I got cranky for a little bit but not depressed at all. I feel VERY positive about the whole experience and my future. Getting up toward 50 now and I had smoked long enough that it was taking a very obvious toll.

I don't want to sound judgemental, at all, but I PERSONALLY found 24mg to be much too strong. I could only vape a little at a time and was getting jittery. I am diluting all of the 24mg stuff I had as samples and going for 12-15mg. I vape a lot more of it and it is more satisfying for me that way.

So far the Freedomsmoke American Spirit mixed with some NewPort is really satisfying, and I also like the Perique mixed half and half with Roar Poison.

Last edited:

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
It's my beleif that as the many chemicals drain from your body, and this can take months to maybe a year, u well experience such things as anxiety etc which is normal, your immune system is trying to cope etc. These are normal and compounded by things in your every day life, so hang in there they should get better. I'm NOT a doctor, so if u see fit please see one.

Happy Vapeing your not alone.

MaxS89

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Florida
Don't worry about it. While ecigs do cut your nicotine craving you do have to remember you were also inhaling tons of other chemicals with each puff of the analog. Now your body is being deprived of those chemicals and tars, maybe even your habit switches but it is a sign that it is detoxing. Puff away and let the body cleanse itself from all the stuff that did way more damage to your body then nicotine could ever do by itself.

Wow everyone wrote the same thing at the same time. Thought I would be first. :toast:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
My side effects have been a bit different.

Some are pure in my head habits. Like trying to head outside to smoke every hour or so. Stopping at the door and thinks "No wait, I don't have to do that anymore." Another was fishing in my pocket for a lighter that wasn't there.

Some have been odd like the wild weird dreams that would often wake me up 6-7 times a night for the first week. Those have stopped thank god.

Most of my symptoms could be traced back to one thing. Dehydration. I had to make myself learn to drink tons of water. The most annoying one was needed to shower 3-4 times a day because my skin literally HURT from my sweat being so acidy. I mean sunburn all over my body kind of hurt.

On the high side my allergies have virtually vanished. I have only had to hit the benedryl ONCE since I started vaping and that was after a really big hit of fried atomizer. Insta sinus headache.

My sense of taste is starting to come back which is both a blessing and a curse as I discovered I was really OVER SEASONING food. I live in Louisiana our food is stoute to begin with. Over season it and you hit OUCH pretty fast. ;)

I haven't hit the massive coughing yet though I read that that one hits different people at different times. I will both hate it and welcome it when it comes. Its miserable but if it get the crap out of there great.

Emotionally outside of a sleep deprived first week I haven't had any problems. If anything I have been less prone to depressive mood swings.

Everyone reacts differently is really my point. If anything happens that really concerns you (like my skin did me) see a doctor.

Windz1

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2013
San Diego
When I first started, I was the same way (fidgety / tense / overworked / underpaid / underf**ed), but I forced myself to never go back.

After that initial hesitation/fear, food started to taste better, everything smelled better, and the smell of cigarettes will turned off.

as Maxs89 mentioned, your body is detoxing. I used to cough when I over-vaping. It's still a chemical that is harmful to your body, so your body will definitely let you know. But once the coughing stopped (2-4 hours when first started), I began to vape in moderation. My old smokers cough was gone in bout 1 week.

BostLabs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Phoenix, AZ. USA
Don't freak out when your gums start to bleed like crazy for a week or two also when you brush! It just means circulation is returning to your gums!

Had that happen just the other day. I expected it though as I had just had a conversation with my dental hygentist on my last cleaning. She was having to do a little deep cleaing and was confused why I wasn't bleeding. Then she asked if I smoked.

I had the cough up after the first full day of vaping. I was very glad to get rid of that brown crud. :)

sywagon

Apr 25, 2013
Late Devonian, USA
My side effects have been a bit different.

Some are pure in my head habits. Like trying to head outside to smoke every hour or so. Stopping at the door and thinks "No wait, I don't have to do that anymore." Another was fishing in my pocket for a lighter that wasn't there.

Some have been odd like the wild weird dreams that would often wake me up 6-7 times a night for the first week. Those have stopped thank god.

Most of my symptoms could be traced back to one thing. Dehydration. I had to make myself learn to drink tons of water. The most annoying one was needed to shower 3-4 times a day because my skin literally HURT from my sweat being so acidy. I mean sunburn all over my body kind of hurt.

On the high side my allergies have virtually vanished. I have only had to hit the benedryl ONCE since I started vaping and that was after a really big hit of fried atomizer. Insta sinus headache.

My sense of taste is starting to come back which is both a blessing and a curse as I discovered I was really OVER SEASONING food. I live in Louisiana our food is stoute to begin with. Over season it and you hit OUCH pretty fast. ;)

I haven't hit the massive coughing yet though I read that that one hits different people at different times. I will both hate it and welcome it when it comes. Its miserable but if it get the crap out of there great.

Emotionally outside of a sleep deprived first week I haven't had any problems. If anything I have been less prone to depressive mood swings.

Everyone reacts differently is really my point. If anything happens that really concerns you (like my skin did me) see a doctor.

I had one night while still using the 24mg that I had very detailed, vivid, and disturbing dreams (basically a SHTF scenario and I was trying to escape from being captured by no-goods). I found that the dreams like that are described as a symptom of getting too much nicotine, and many have experienced them vaping the heavier concentrations.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Mine are starting to come up now...up until now there's been little to no anxiety or real cravings. I was so stressed yesterday I had to have a smoke. Absolutely tasted like crap. I think I'm going to look into WTA juices for these moments.

Anyway, I think it's pretty normal and hopefully will go away after some time. Just take things as they come and you'll get through it!

lilmrsyeti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Alabama
Like others have already told you...Your body is going to go through withdrawals of going without all the other crap in Reg Cigs. What's strange is my husband smoked for 43 years, me over 15. He was 2PAD+ Smoker...me a bit less. I've read and read on here where pretty much every one says how they went through the coughing up brown gunk from their lungs after starting Vaping and getting off Cigs...Body way of clearing out your Lungs. Him and I have both been smoke free for over 30 days, and neither one of us has went through that...at all. Every one is different on what they go through...or not.

Good luck!

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
I agree with everyone else who's posted. It takes time to detox. I've been analog free for over a week now and vaping for 3 weeks and just last night I started feeling that gunk coming up from my lungs. It's driving me crazy!! But...what a great thing, huh?, to be getting all of those nasty chemicals out of the body? I'll take it any day over smoking...ever again!!! Welcome, and good luck!!

sywagon

Apr 25, 2013
Late Devonian, USA
I agree with everyone else who's posted. It takes time to detox. I've been analog free for over a week now and vaping for 3 weeks and just last night I started feeling that gunk coming up from my lungs. It's driving me crazy!! But...what a great thing, huh?, to be getting all of those nasty chemicals out of the body? I'll take it any day over smoking...ever again!!! Welcome, and good luck!!

I had a persistent cough as a smoker at the end and just couldn't clear my lungs. What came up one morning about a week after quitting was too gross for words. Good riddance to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread