Today I learned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDacty1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Maryland
This is my 3rd thread and I understand that nOObs must post 5 times before they can post anywhere else. But I just want to say that by watching youtube videos, I learned that if I remove a strand of the wick from my coil on my mini bcc, that I get more flavor! Weee! vaping is quickly becoming more of a hobby for me than a life saver. I'm looking for ways to keep my hobby cost-effective as well. I can see how this can become quite expensive. :vapor:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
So when you say leaking, where would it leak from?

The bottom. The BCC is designed to allow air to flow from the base through the coil/wick assembly. If the liquid is thin or at very low levels and there's not enough wicking material to staunch the juice flow, it leaks through the air passage in the coil/wick assembly, goes out the bottom and lands in your battery connection area.

TaraDacty1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Maryland
The bottom. The BCC is designed to allow air to flow from the base through the coil/wick assembly. If the liquid is thin or at very low levels and there's not enough wicking material to staunch the juice flow, it leaks through the air passage in the coil/wick assembly, goes out the bottom and lands in your battery connection area.

Yikes! Well, I only removed one little thread. I don't know how I'll ever be able to put it back, I just pulled it out. My liquid is pretty thick, it's from Pinkspot, the strawberry kind. My flavor was a bit muted but now it's perfect. I hope it doesn't leak!

TaraDacty1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Maryland
It would flow from the outside of the stem (the tank) into the center because the wicks don't stop-up the hole well enough. You'd get flooding and gurgling.

Congrats on meeting the post count (you're at 8 as I type this).

From what I was told, the mini bcc's from iSkoka are sealed so that they don't leak. I think I understand where it would leak, I keep unscrewing the tank and looking for any moisture. None so far.

Bob Lion54

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2013
Louisiana, USA
lol

Tara Mascara, if I'm understanding you correctly, you pulled a few stands of fiber out of one of your wicks? What people are thinking you did was actually remove one of the wicks. There should be more than one. Some people actually do that and that's what people are thinking you did and why they are saying you could have problems.

I'm thinking the video you watched must have been from someone that didn't know what they were talking about or they worded it oddly... or hey, maybe pruning the wicks does help. Never tried that, actually.

Hmm... I wonder if I have some pruning shears around here somewhere...

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
First relax
No need to keep looking
Removing wick strands Can be okay - depends on what is needed for proper wicking

If you start to get any leaking you will notice a loss of vapor and maybe some gurgling sound
Remove Tank, wipe area dry, finish vaping Tank.
The top pipe on a BCC coil can be wiggled out and flavor wicks removed or added as needed. Coils can even be rebuilt with new wire and wick material.

To much information to soon - Relax and enjoy your Vape:)

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
This is my 3rd thread and I understand that nOObs must post 5 times before they can post anywhere else. But I just want to say that by watching youtube videos, I learned that if I remove a strand of the wick from my coil on my mini bcc, that I get more flavor! Weee! Vaping is quickly becoming more of a hobby for me than a life saver. I'm looking for ways to keep my hobby cost-effective as well. I can see how this can become quite expensive. :vapor:

There's plenty of videos out there that say just the opposite, by the way. It depends on your juice and on the heat at the coil. Those wicks are actually there for a reason, a good reason. Removal of the flavor wicks will cause flooding and leaking at the same time, in many cases. I see Phil Busardo always do it, but he vapes 100% VG, and if he doesn't remove one, he can't vape at all. So, if you're vaping a rich thick, dark, sweet juice, you may be able to remover a flavor wick. If you're vaping 100% PG, you're going to get leaking, flooding, carbonized wicks, possibly caramelized wicks, and possibly steaming hot liquid flying into your mouth. There's more to it than just removing a flavor wick. If you carbonize your wicks, btw, replacing the wick will not fix the problem, you will have to clean and possibly replace your coil. If you want better flavor, get a carto, imho.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Well, I broke something.

This is fast becoming a bad learning experience.
Please don't do anything unless advised.
Post what you did/think you did.
Add a picture if you can. Little picture frame above post box. 3 from right.

Unless you forced something into the wick slot the coil should not be damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread