Tonyblack's first impressions of his first e-smoking device, the DX Health e-cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyblack

Oct 15, 2008
Florida/Guatemala
Well, as I waited patiently for several packages from DX, I knew that the projected time for my e-cigar to arrive was later this week, though I secretly wished it would arrive before the portable hdd enclosure that was ordered 2 weeks earlier but still hadn't arrived.

I stopped by and checked the mail today, low and behold, I had 3 packages from DX sitting in there all rubber banded together.

I opened the packages to discover the hdd enclosure, the e-cigar, and a flashlight as well. With so many new toys, I was one happy camper!

I pulled the e-cigar out of the package, and found it to be complete, and undamaged, but unfortunately had a euro plug on the charger, with no adapter :( Luckily I had an adapter I'd picked up years ago for a stereo I'd gotten in Peru, so I could still make it work.

I checked the cartridge to see if it had been punctured, since there was a lot of gunk on the and of it when I pulled it out, but it was still intact, I guess the stuff was from the "factory prime" that folks talk about.

The physical appearance of the thing was alright, but the paper around the mouthpiece could definitely use some improvement, and the "band" that comes on the thing is atrocious. I'll have to do something about that.

As tempted as I was to try it out right away, I went ahead and plugged the charger in using my aforementioned adapter, and let the cigar charge up.

A little while later the light was green, so I unplugged the cigar, and pushed the cartridge and mouthpiece down to pierce the foil. Then it was the acid test... to the lips, and my first puff.

The draw was harder than I was expecting, but the volume of vapor was good, about the same as I might expect from a similar ring gauge cigar, though the draw wasn't on par. As I took a few more puffs, the draw did improve slightly, and now I would say it draws about like a slightly too tightly wrapped cigar of about 42 ring gauge.

The flavor of the vapor on this cigar does, um, resemble a cigar, but I'm afraid it's not a good cigar it resembles. it kind of reminds me of the taste of a cigar that's been sitting in someone's fridge, next to stale bread. (Refrigerators BTW, don't make good humidors since the invention of the frost free variety)

I'm afraid I can't speak to the throat hit of the cigar, as I don't inhale anything I smoke. (aside from the occasional hookah) I can say however that my throat was feeling a little rough after about 10 puffs on the e-cigar though, so it might be decent.

That brings me to another point: Most e-smokers are inhaling the vapor from the devices, and find that there's little residual vapor or smell, as I'm only puffing the vapor into my mouth, I discovered that the vapor lingers about the same way that a cigar's smoke would, and carries considerable residual odor/smell. Knowing that the mucus membranes in my nose and throat are only about 35% efficient at absorbing the nicotine in this vapor (if the vapor is at the ideal PH level) that means that about 65% of the nicotine is then carried back out through the vapor and then dissipates into the air as the vapor dissipates.

I put the cigar band from a CAO America on the thing, and it greatly improved the appearance, when my second unit arrives later this week, I plan to put the band from either an Opus X or a Cohiba on it... you know, for variety...

So far, I'm impressed, for about the cost of 2 decent cigars I've got a rechargeable, refillable one... now to find some juice that tastes decent, and we'll be in business

I'll be taking the e-cigar with me out to cigar dinner this week, and I'll report back how everyone there feels about it.

tonyblack

Oct 15, 2008
Florida/Guatemala
Well, I've been smoking the e-Cigar all week, and have a few new impressions to share...

First off, I believe that the Cigar's battery is much weaker than other people have experienced, I get about 100 puffs before the thing stops working completely. When I say completely, I mean one puff, it works just like it was a fresh charge, the next, it doesn't do a thing. The good news there is that it's a well regulated circuit, the bad news is that either the battery is too low powered, or the circuitry is too sensitive. I'll probably open the thing up and put in a new, higher capacity battery, in the hopes that it will extend the smoking time to that of a regular cigar (or maybe better) Which is enough for me.

I took the e-Cigar to cigar dinner this week, and it was a hit, everyone loved it, and wanted to try it out, even the waitress. Most of the comments involved the relative lack of flavor compared to a real cigar. And smoking the e-Cigar in one hand, and a Montesino natural torpedo in the other, I have to say the flavor is pretty weak comparatively.

After 5 days smoking the e-Cigar for about 2 hours a day the flavor hasn't gotten any better, and the vapor production hasn't decreased. I'm hoping to get some new e-Juice n this week to see if we can't do something about the flavor department.

I've uploaded a 30 second video of the vapor it produces Here

Last edited:
I got one of these from DX a couple of weeks ago and at first was pleased with it, although it never released as much vapour as Tony's. After a short time however, it died. No light, no vapour, nothing. Didn't get much sense from DX when I contacted them and it's far too much hassle to post it back to Hong Kong.

I've tried changing the charger, since the crappy cheapo one they sent has no indicator lights at all so I couldn't even tell if it was charging, but still no go. I guess the battery must be gone.

Tony (or anyone), any idea how to take these apart without ruining the case? May as well try replacing the battery.

the charger has a red and green led light.. at least mine does.. red while charging it goes green when its done.. sounds u had a dead charger..

trog

Yeah, you'd think so. The charger they sent me however has NO lights on it at all, although the "manual" describes it like yours. I've examined it carefully - no lights. Maybe they're trying to cut down production costs even further........

Last edited:

tonyblack

Oct 15, 2008
Florida/Guatemala
Thanks guys! I just got a super-mini in as well, decent vapor producer in my book too... but only been using it since thursday...

FB: The one I got arrived with the red/green LED as well, and seems to have no trouble... perhaps they just packaged the wrong charger with yours?

Also, from a full discharge to fully charge takes less than 30 minutes with my charger/ cigar combo, so my money's on an over-sensitive circuit....

The second unit should be arriving this week, so then I'll have another to compare it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread