Too many new/ignorant vapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randybu80

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
Sonora, California, United States
So today. Almost as distastefully as the person I was berating I lost it. I was on a Facebook ecig group. I had gotten to my breaking point. So many post by people who could not tell you the maximum amp output of there battery talking about sub ohm vaping. People bragging about a .012 coil. But not knowing or even caring about the risks involved. I'm all for sub ohm vaping. But please please be safe. Back to what pushed me over the edge. Someone posted a pic of a kayfun with a burnt up coil and melted insulator. This happened because the OP passed out drunk and their mod continued to pocket fire until the atty coil melted away. Now 50+ comments about where to get replacement parts, or how this happened to me to. Not a single comment about how the battery could have over discharged, or vented, or melted down. Caused a fire, killed the op or burned down the neighborhood. I realize I am going very extreme with this. The point is that's the fuel the FDA needs that's the kind of bad publicity that we don't need. I was not kind with my words. In fact I left the group shortly after my exchange of words. I've been vaping for almost 6 years now. The FDA has always been a threat, but now with all the new uneducated vapors, I really am in fear of the FDA. At the rate things are going people will start hurting them selfs because they have been VAPING for months and know it all. There is nothing you can teach them. Whether its battery safety or just locking the fire button when you pocket your mod. So now not only do we have the FDA to contend with but we have fellow vapors, With a know it all attitude and a lack of respect for what they are doing. We really are losing this battle I fear. It's only going to take a couple people to ruin it for us all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
Skokie
Randy I have a quick question. After understanding Ohm meters, having the right batteries (with 30-35 amps of course), and using a mech mod, woud stillare be alright to use onto this thing? Again, no worries as I do not plan to go 0.8 or less. I typically always wrap with my everyday use 3" screw driver 8 loops ending always in 1.1 in readings.

Batteries: Efest 2500mah 35 amps 3.7V
Mod Mech: Panzer w/ copper connectors
Vape mod: Stillare
28 Gauge Kanthal Wire
Ohms reads: 1.1

Last edited:
Eh, you kind of have to consider that they're doing the best they can on the limited knowledge they've accumulated. Not everybody hangs out here (or another vaping forum), knows Ohm's Law, and so on.

You can either consider it your job to educate them before something really goes wrong or back away slowly before the battery blows and you're in the midst of Ground Zero.

Personally, I always recommend a factory-ready solution of modest cost to start and warn them that some custom solutions may not be safe.

My rant was not ment towards new vapers wanting to learn and be safe. It was directed at the people that refuse to learn, thinking they know it all and being unsafe. I was following a bad Facebook group. I just got frustrated. I should have just stayed here haha

Gotcha. Yeah, that's annoying. Well, we can but try to educate them. If they won't listen, on their heads be it.

Maybe it's an age thing. Being decidedly middle-aged, most of the people I convert are in my age bracket. We've usually been through a surgery or bad period or two, and know we're mortal. I usually have to assure them that an eGo and stock coil are safe and not going to explode and kill them. :)

But 3.7 volt batteries are 4.2 volts with a fresh charge so that put yo usafely at .12 ohms

Call me old and overcautious, but I always assume 4.22--which is the high point given normal tolerance with most cheaper chargers.

Not that it really matters. For coils under 0.3 you really need a better meter than most of us have as the error bands are simply too large.

Randybu80

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
Sonora, California, United States
I agree. I opted for a name brand multi meter for my readings. I try to convince myself my cautiousness will rub off. It does and has for my face to face interactions. As far as kids on Facebook I just had to walk away. It's not worth my stress and high blood pressure haha

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
My rant was not ment towards new vapers wanting to learn and be safe. It was directed at the people that refuse to learn, thinking they know it all and being unsafe. I was following a bad Facebook group. I just got frustrated. I should have just stayed here haha

I agree, consumers who are new to vaping should join a forum with knowlegable members, read the tutorials & ask questions if needed. When I began vaping, my distributor gave me CASSA material & wrote down the name of the ECF on the back of his card for me to join & research. Since he knew that I was participating in computer/tech forums to learn about computers, he felt that my vaping experience would benefit from participating here.

With batteries, safety is NOT an option, it's mandatory. That's also why once I felt ready to begin rebuilding my own coils, he (Vic) made sure that I had a Atomizer Ohm Meter to test my coils for proper ohm level before using. On Day One, he instructed me on safety, also telling me to read the articles here on the issue.

I'm inclined to agree, consumers posting pictures of the aftermath of unsafe practices for the world to see only serves to harm the vaping community, People should step back & think for a moment before posting these type of things.

Cat

Hijack

Verified Member
May 7, 2014
Bournemouth, U.K
As a new vaper myself (only 4 months) and only now just stating to learn about the 'ins and outs' of using RBA's and RDA's and the amp loads that are involved when you start to sub Ohm. I have not tried any of these yet and I glad I haven't tried to jump straight in. I think all vapers need to learn to walk before they can run. The guys that do this type of vaping have been doing it for years and back then there was no VV/VW so they had no choice. Nowadays things are easy for beginners and no one has to jump straight in before they understand the basics. Its with this in mind that I never say to a guy who wants to upgrade from his ego/evod, that he should go buy a mech mod and an rba/rda and start building his own coils. Walk before you can run. Always good advice to new vapers.

Icey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
Skokie
I'm 26 and I take vaping incredibly serious. Believe me when I come across people saying stuff like "it's gonna blow, don't vape near me" or God for bid... "caffeine is better than nicotine" without doing a little research or trying vaping themselves. Take PG/VG rumor for example. Hell, the study of PG/VG has been around for so long we had inhalers for those which can get rid of bad bacteria.

Now, I might be a little knowledgable about vaping, but if I don't know something I ask before I vape. I know better, and I have common sense. Me and my bro went into mechanical mods simply because of simplicity and performance. Where did we go? ECF. We love ECF, we love the community, we love the pros, bros, and beer heads we enjoy reading. At the end of the day, I just want to BBQ & vape. :toast:

Just like the reddit blog I read, before becoming a cloud chaser or sub ohm'ing (which I will never probably crossing a territory on sub'ing) I read read read, or ask especially. Yes, people need to know what they're doing, using, and running on. I'm glad I asked and researched. I want to enjoy my Mech Mod for life <3

Keep calm, Vape on.

Last edited:

_MaNiAC_

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Ohio
I just got back on ECF here to complain about an ignorant person in a Facebook group!!! This one is a group specific to my city so I don't want to have to unjoin it -- I have to restrain myself most times.
I do not know everything about vaping. I realize that.
I do not know most of everything about vaping. Neither does this guy!!! (but I don't think he realizes that, at all)
He just posted a video of his parallel coil build at 0.14 ohms. [edit: and he did say he's been vaping for maybe three months now] I could only watch the first 2 (of 4) minutes of it before I wanted to punch my computer in the face and shut it off. I don't even know what the point of his video was. He doesn't know how to not mumble on camera. He's one of those people who doesn't know enough not to melt his kayfun insulators in his sleep. but something tells me he will never get a kayfun or other tanked device because its not "dripping" its not the thing the "cool kids" do. I wonder if he even knows what good flavor tastes like? oh yeah, it tastes like a monster cloud..... ?? I'm not hating on cloud chasers or mech warriors. I have an RDA, I have built my own coils, and I'm super paranoid about battery safety. I just wish that people who were like this guy knew enough to ask questions and then ask follow up questions. learn something.
Please tell me someone out there has advice for a good way to reach these people. I don't care about spreading the good word of vaping, I just want to be able to stop the spreading of crap. what gets these ppl to stop and listen without coming off as sounding condescending?

Last edited:

Icey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
Skokie
Perhaps a video should be made about "warning to vape cloud chasing" or "safe guide 101 to mech mods". Since videos is the only way to get enough attention vs words with the way people are. I get annoyed myself when I go to a suburbs vape shop and all I see is people enjoying a cloud vaping envy who puffs more. I agree with the post previously, vaping was meant to enjoy or quit. I understand we're reaching at an end-point to vaping but even vaping has limits & especially responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread