Too much information....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossman

Jun 16, 2009
Lowell, MA
Hey all... I just became aware of the existence of e-cigs only a few days ago when I came across a "Smoking Everywhere" kiosk at a local mall... I wasn't too impressed with their product (and it was CRAZY expensive!) but it sparked my interest enough to do some internet research... I'm keenly interested in trading in my 25 year smoking habit for vaping, but I'm afraid I've gotten a bit of data over-load... (or analysis paralysis, as it were.)

I had no idea there were so many models, brands, and dealers out there... Every time I think I've made a decision on which one looks right for me, I read some review of another model that makes me question my previous resolve... My criteria is probably not very different from most... I'm looking for something that most closely replicates the physical experience of analogs (vapor volume, throat hit, pull, etc.) without being excessively large, or very expensive... I realize that nothing out there will come close enough to smoking tobacco, that I would confuse it with the real thing... I just want to feel like I'm smoking something, instead of sucking air through a straw.

I'd also like it to be as close to the size of an analog as possible, so I'm not too interested in the pen-style puffers, and since I plan to get a PCC, battery life isn't so much an issue to me...

I've narrowed it down to the VX2, 510 and 402... I'm leaning toward the VX2 from Litecig, but I'm not crazy about the whistle style mouthpiece... I've read that the 510 produces more vapor, and gives a better throat hit with the manual switch, but it looks kinda big.. And can be kinda expensive.. I've heard good things about the 402, but I haven't seen one that has a PCC available, and the one that litecig offers looks a little too feminine for me... (I also don't want anything that looks like a filtered cigarette, either) But it is cheap...

The BluCig also looks good to me, due to its size, cost, PCC, and over-all sleek looks, but I get conflicting reviews about its hit, and vapor producing capabilities...

I've been searching and reading this forum (and other sites) extensively, but there's nothing that can replace personal exchange of information/recommendation... So, if anyone would care to offer their opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it... Maybe my head will stop spinning!

Thanks,

Moss

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
If you're looking for lots of vapor and a good quality and consistent throat hit, like a lot of us, the e-cig models that have a manual switch are a good choice.

The importance of the manual switch is that it heats the atomizer portion of the e-cig to a higher temp which gives you warmer vapor, lots of vapor, and a good quality throat hit. Another important feature of the manual switch is that it does not have a short cut off or time out to the drag.

For someone new to e-cigs, I would recommend the 510 e-cig model. It's a manual switch e-cig that is reliable, durable, and does what an e-cig is suppose to do.

510 model e-cigs
USA Suppliers
Joye 510 ( e-Smokey Treats - Electronic Cigarette's, The healthy alternative to traditional tobacco cigarette's )
Dura-C ( Janty USA )
Yeti ( AltSmoke - Electronic Cigarettes, DSE901, The Yeti & More. )

UK Supplier
Dura-C ( iVapour | Electronic Cigarettes | Janty Stick ? Janty Kissbox ? Janty Dura-C ? Janty Mini Fogger ? Janty E-Liquid & Cartridges )

China Supplier
Eastmall 510 ( 510 Manual Switch Starter Kit - Black - e-Cigs Manual Switch 510 - Eastmall International Co.,Ltd )

You may also want to include a 510 passthrough with your order. The passthrough is identical to a standard 510 rechargeable battery except that the end portion is wired to a standard USB connector. You simply plug the USB connector into a USB port or portable power pack and can vape all day long without having to change or charge batteries.

The e-liquid you buy will also play an important part in satisfying your nicotine cravings and also in providing a good throat hit. The higher you go in nicotine strength, the better the throat hit. 36 mg nicotine (the highest strength right now) does give a nice throat hit but made me sick and gave me headaches. I smoked 2-3 packs of ciggies per day for several years - so just because you smoked a lot doesn't mean that the higher nicotine is right for you.

For the first 2 months of vaping I used 18 mg (high) nicotine strength and was quite happy with that. I am currently now using 12 mg (medium) nicotine strength and still feel satisfied.

For a first purchase of e-liquid, I would recommend you buy the flavor or flavors you think will best suit your needs. You'll find the right strength for you. There are a lot of suppliers that have good liquid so the field is open there. Wherever you place your e-cig order you will also be able to buy e-liquid.

Finding the right e-cig model and the e-liquid flavor and nic strength that suits you is what is going to make you a successful e-smoker.

If you haven't done so already, your next step is to view these helpful videos:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2-new-updated-comprehensive-intro-vaping.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/2562-helpful-links-videos-new-user.html

Hope this helps - Good Luck

Willowsong

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2009
City of Lost Angels
I'll agree with Mamu about the 510 - particularly if you're more than a pack a day smoker. If you look down in the blu forum and read the threads there (or search my posts) you'll see a comparison pic with a 901, a 510 and a blu. There is a recent review that shows the blu next to an analog. You'll notice that the 510 isn't too much larger than an analog. It's a tad longer than a 100 and about the diameter of a bic pen.

If you can get around the fact that you simply cannot hold and hit a manual switch PV the same way that you would an analog I think you'll be particularly pleased with the performance of the 510.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    AN M401 (same as 402/403 but with longest battery, and battery life), is slightly longer than an analog 100. The M402 and M403 are shorter, I think the M403 is most like a non-100 analog. Their atomizers, for me and others, have been pretty reliable. having said that, not so much throat hit.

The J118 is around 5mm longer than the 510, and the 510 is only maybe 1-2mm longer than the 401. The M401 is closest to a regular cigarettes diameter, with the 510 and J118 being perhaps 1mm wider in diameter.

The M401 draws ok, a bit lightly, the 510 draws most like an analog, and the J118 draws like sucking through an empty straw.

My 510 review with a comparison to the 401 here:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0-510-review-comparisons-m401-kr808d-1-a.html

Also, one from Terraphon:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/video-reviews/20233-video-review-joye-510-e-smokeytreats.html

(and check that entire section, *many* reviews on the 510 and M401/402/403 also known as pilot or evo).

There are only two video reviews I'm aware of on ECF for the J118, also known as VX2, FigureHeads and mine. We have slightly different opinions on that one :)

J118/VX2:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s/19827-j118-aka-vx2-l88b-initial-review.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/video-reviews/18853-vx2-video-review-finaly.html

Also search for user 'igetcha' on here and YouTube, he's got many reviews, at least a few on the M401 (same cig as your 402, attys/all parts exchange, just diff battery lengths)

NPerez

Jun 9, 2009
    Northern NJ
    When I first started looking into e-cigs, one of the hardest lessons for me to learn was that I shouldn't be worried about duplicating the appearance of a cigarette.

It's not a cigarette. It's something entirely different & worthy of looking entirely different. I had ruled out getting a black e-cig because I wanted something white with a brown filter, just like a cigarette.. I had ruled out getting something the size of a pen, because I wanted something that was the size of a regular cigarette..

Well, as it turns out, I have a black 510, which is about the size of a pen. It's great. I don't care about the size in the least. My advice is that, if you can, just stop worrying about the size altogether. I don't know of any e-cigs that look just like cigarettes and perform well.

Mossman

Jun 16, 2009
    Lowell, MA
    Thanks for the quick, and detailed responses! I made up my mind and ordered a Joye 510 (black) and extra carts from eSmokeyShack.com... I had a little trouble finding a US supplier that had a 510 style kit in stock at a reasonable price. (I paid $54.99) Coulda ordered one from Ruyan for $38, but I didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks to get it!

I also got a PCC, and some juice from eSmokeyTreats.com... Which brings up another question... How many times can you refill/clean a cart before you should throw it away? Generally speaking, that is... Until it falls apart?

Also; I'm assuming that all 510-type cigs (Dura, Yeti, Titan, etc) are made by the same manufacturer, just branded differently, and all the parts are interchangable, regardless of brand-name? So I could use a Dura atty, or a Titan battery if I had to?

NPerez:

I thoroughly hate the idea of an e-cig that looks just like an analog... Right from the beginning, I knew I wanted one that looked like a sleek gadget (geek that I am) I just wanted one that replicated an analog on a more physical, or "mechanical" level... (I don't even like the fact that the 510 I ordered has a red LED, but that was all they had...) I got a kit that comes with one manual battery and one automatic, so I can see which experience I like better... But I have a feeling I'm not gonna smoke this like an analog (or at least I'll try not to), so pushing a button may not put me off too much...

Once again, thanks for the input y'all...

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Thanks for the quick, and detailed responses! I made up my mind and ordered a Joye 510 (black) and extra carts from eSmokeyShack.com... I had a little trouble finding a US supplier that had a 510 style kit in stock at a reasonable price. (I paid $54.99) Coulda ordered one from Ruyan for $38, but I didn't want to wait 3-4 weeks to get it!

I also got a PCC, and some juice from eSmokeyTreats.com... Which brings up another question... How many times can you refill/clean a cart before you should throw it away? Generally speaking, that is... Until it falls apart?

Also; I'm assuming that all 510-type cigs (Dura, Yeti, Titan, etc) are made by the same manufacturer, just branded differently, and all the parts are interchangable, regardless of brand-name? So I could use a Dura atty, or a Titan battery if I had to?

NPerez:

I thoroughly hate the idea of an e-cig that looks just like an analog... Right from the beginning, I knew I wanted one that looked like a sleek gadget (geek that I am) I just wanted one that replicated an analog on a more physical, or "mechanical" level... (I don't even like the fact that the 510 I ordered has a red LED, but that was all they had...) I got a kit that comes with one manual battery and one automatic, so I can see which experience I like better... But I have a feeling I'm not gonna smoke this like an analog (or at least I'll try not to), so pushing a button may not put me off too much...

Yes, they are all interchangeable on parts.

For Pricing, I posted a full list from ~3-4 weeks ago, look in E-cig/Review/Model Specific/Joye 510 in the suppliers discussion thread.

I do still prefer an automatic battery, but it's a tradeoff well worth it in battery reliability and increased throat hit/vapor, etc. Not too tough to adjust, just not much 'mouth hanging,' really.

fresca

ECF Veteran
    Jun 11, 2009
    Just FYI: I have two manual batteries for my Joye510 (I have the white model). Neither of my manual batteries have the LED; they just have a flat black disk-shape on the end -- nothing lights up. I picked up my extra battery at VaporStation.com (but I'm sure you can get them other places).

The automatic battery that came with my 510 does have the LED, but I rarely use it. For me, the manual battery (with the button), performs much better than the auto battery.

Mossman

Jun 16, 2009
    Lowell, MA
    Yes, they are all interchangeable on parts.

For Pricing, I posted a full list from ~3-4 weeks ago, look in E-cig/Review/Model Specific/Joye 510 in the suppliers discussion thread.

I do still prefer an automatic battery, but it's a tradeoff well worth it in battery reliability and increased throat hit/vapor, etc. Not too tough to adjust, just not much 'mouth hanging,' really.

That's a great list... I wish I had seen that before I went out on my search for a kit! I think I hit just about every site you listed, but I had to find 'em all the hard way... :p

I'm sure I'll make the adjustment... I made the decision to quit smoking a couple of weeks before I ever heard of e-cigs, (I just had 3 cartons of cigarettes to go through, first ;)) so it was gonna happen... If I ever feel like being dissatisfied with my vaping experience, I can always tell myself it's a lot better than cold-turkey... Or the patch!

fresca said:
    Just FYI: I have two manual batteries for my Joye510 (I have the white model). Neither of my manual batteries have the LED; they just have a flat black disk-shape on the end -- nothing lights up. I picked up my extra battery at VaporStation.com (but I'm sure you can get them other places).

The automatic battery that came with my 510 does have the LED, but I rarely use it. For me, the manual battery (with the button), performs much better than the auto battery.

I figure I can always paint over the LED if it bothers me that much... Or if too many people hassle me... I'll be on the look-out for batts with no LED, though... I noticed in a couple of early video reviews that they didn't have an LED... I assumed they stopped making them that way...

superwombat

May 14, 2009
    Heh, those pesky LEDs are one of the things that bug me about Ecigs.

On the one hand, it's very handy (especially with an automatic battery) to know when it's turned on and off. I personally modulate my drag to be as slow as possible without the battery turning off.

Of course the buggardly things are all the way at the end of the eciggie, and facing away from you, so even if you want to use the LED, it's in a far more useful position to the guy across the room than it is to the guy using the ecig.

I have gotten into the habit of placing a finger directly on the end of the ecig whenever I take a drag. This serves the purpose of giving the light something to reflect off of so I can see if it's on or not, and also covering the light so that people who don't need to see it, won't.

manc

Jun 12, 2009
    New Hampshire, USA
    I'll be on the look-out for batts with no LED, though... I noticed in a couple of early video reviews that they didn't have an LED... I assumed they stopped making them that way...

I don't have a 510 yet (currently have a 401), but in researching the 510 on this site, I read that widowsbeadwork.com has the manual batteries without LED. She's out of starter kits at the moment, but it looks like she has spare batteries available.

Mossman

Jun 16, 2009
    Lowell, MA
    Thanks for the tip, Manc... Those batts are the cheapest I've seen so far... Probably due to the lack of an LED... Battery life might be a little better too, since all the juice is going to the atty..

I got my 510 yesterday, and I'm diggin it! Highly recommend you get one.. Now I'm looking to get a super-mini as a backup. Maybe an M401 or 402... I don't know yet.

Mossman

Jun 16, 2009
    Lowell, MA
    I have gotten into the habit of placing a finger directly on the end of the ecig whenever I take a drag. This serves the purpose of giving the light something to reflect off of so I can see if it's on or not, and also covering the light so that people who don't need to see it, won't.

I tend not to hold mine like a cigarette at all... I just sort of wrap my fingers around the bottom of it... LED's concealed..

I guess one good thing about the LED is it'll let you know when the battery's dying..

cc8074369

Apr 2, 2010
    usa
    For a first purchase of e-liquid, I would recommend you buy the flavor or flavors you think will best suit your needs.
    thanks for the great info everyone. I'm a little confused on the e-liquid, I understand the nicotine levels, but not the flavors, for example is there a marlboro red flavor? any recommendations on flavors or brands?

dave5

Mar 17, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I tend not to hold mine like a cigarette at all... I just sort of wrap my fingers around the bottom of it... LED's concealed..

I guess one good thing about the LED is it'll let you know when the battery's dying..

I as well don't hold mine like a cigarette, which at first I really wanted to. I place the led on the I guess you could say the ball of my hand and it extends parallel with my finger. If I didn't have the ecig in hand it would look like i was pointing at my mouth. That method covers the LED well (not the intended purpose when I started) and feels natural (intended) Hope you find what works for you

Skyhog

Jul 17, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM

I do this too, but have to give a beware:

If you actually cover the end of the e-cig with your finger, you have a much better chance of spraying e-liquid in the back of your throat (at least with the straw mod that is).

I've learned to keep my finger about a half an inch in front of the LED instead.

LadyDi

Nov 6, 2010
    Bradenton FL
    I have been vaping now for 7 weeks and couldn't be happier!!!!
    I smoked for over 35 yrs. both menthol and non-menthol.
    I have the 510 Tornado it is the best! And it comes in black, platinum, white and pink.
    I personally have black mega battery, platinum and white normal battery.
    The flavor I like the best is called mborough which is closest to marlboro.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread