Too much TH on my sub ohm coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm new to this. My 2nd try with 24g A-1 > 5 wraps > .3 ohm dual on my Igo-M. Using a sony 30amp battery. Got some knurled thumb screws from Fatdaddyvapes.com and now it's heating up fine versus the stock screws. I seasoned the coils by heating and squeezing. No hot spots on the coils.

.3ohm24g.jpg

They fire right up, but the throat hit is too harsh for more than about a second vape. I do like a nice smooth vapor, but not too long a pull to get it and that's why i wanted to try dual coils.

I mixed my juice 90 vg/10pg to smooth it out, but it's still harsh. Plenty of vapor, but scratchy throat. Also I don't taste any cotton, but could i still have too much? would too much cotton cause a bad TH?

thx guys! i really want to perfect my vape. I don't even care about low ohms, but i did want to try dual coils since i have room for them on my 22mm Igo-M. Before this i've only rolled single coils in my phoenix's.

thank you

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
100% VG will have less of a throat hit and more flavor,and PG is gives you more of a throat hit. If you're dripping nicotine 3-6 mg is less harsh. I use 24 mg on a glassomizer and 3 mg on an RDA, I can't do 6 mg depending on how low the Ohms are. Dripping with 3 mg will get you a nicotine buzz since you're going through the juice much faster, than a tank in a non mechanical MOD. Also the thicker the Kanthal the hotter the vape. So 24 is going to be hot, I have 0.19-0.20 build with 24 gauge wrapped 4x over ekowool in a dual coil, but I have large drill holes to get more vapor but it helps cool down the vape, and certain drip tips can help make it feel less hot or than it is. If you want a cooler vape and don't care about lower sub-ohms, I would suggest trying 28 gauge Kanthal wire with 8-10 wraps would you get you somewhere near 0.4-0.7 ohms if you don't want a hot vape. If you want a warm-hot vape there is 26 gauge. If you only rolled single coils you need to double the resistance on each coil. So if you wrap a single coil at 1 ohm it's 1 ohm but if you wrap 2 coils at 1 ohm on a dual coil, you should be around 0.5 ohms.

Last edited:

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
100% VG will have less of a throat hit and more flavor,and PG is gives you more of a throat hit. If you're dripping nicotine 3-6 mg is less harsh. I use 24 mg on a glassomizer and 3 mg on an RDA, I can't do 6 mg depending on how low the Ohms are. Dripping with 3 mg will get you a nicotine buzz since you're going through the juice much faster, than a tank in a non mechanical MOD. Also the thicker the Kanthal the hotter the vape. So 24 is going to be hot, I have .19-2.0 build with 24 gauge wrapped 4x over ekowool in a dual coil, but I have large drill holes to get more vapor but it helps cool down the vape, and certain drip tips can help make it feel less hot or than it is. If you want a cooler vape and don't care about lower sub-ohms, I would suggest trying 28 gauge Kanthal wire with 8-10 wraps would you get you somewhere near 0.4-0.7 ohms if you don't want a hot vape. If you want a warm-hot vape there is 26 gauge. If you only rolled single coils you need to double the resistance on each coil. So if you wrap a single coil at 1 ohm it's 1 ohm but if you wrap 2 coils at 1 ohm on a dual coil, you should be around 0.5 ohms.

thank you tayonne. some very good points. i didn't think about the drip tip. i have some larger barrel ones that i'll give a try. I've been dripping for about 3 yrs anywhere from 36mg down to an average of 12mg, so i think the harshness might be the drip tip. if i can't get it right, i'll use my 28 g and roll a couple 2 ohm coils for a 1 ohm dual. I do have huge air holes in the Igo-M to keep it cool.

I have a VV mod that i swap off with my phoenix or russian, so i don't use the igo-M full time because of the heat. I'll let you know how i make out with the larger drip tip.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
larger bore drip tip is MUCH better!! thank you!!! i'll cut my nic and go 100% vg to see if i can get it even smoother.

Another thing that helps besides lowering nicotine, going 100 VG and using a more comfortable tip to go with your vape at lower sub-ohms is to NOT place the tip in the center of your mouth but on the sides. Plus dual coil anything is going to be hotter and harsher, no matter if you're using an RDA or RBA or even a cheap little plastic tank on a cheap vape pen, then anything single coil.

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Scratchy throat and almost burnt lip's and throat?

I was using the same coil's and setup's as other people but vaping at a low ohmage like they were was really uncomfortable.

I knew something was wrong and wouldn't rest till I found the answer, it was so bad that I was using mesh inside the drip tip to calm the harshness and burning feeling that I was getting, even bought wide bore DT's and opened up the air intake but I still had the issue and thought maybe it was just me and my messed up throat.

I eventually took a cotton ball and decided to wash it again, so I placed the cotton ball in a cup of boiling water from the kettle and microwaved it till the water started bubbling again, I made sure I poured the water out as most the crap floats to the surface, then once it cooled I squeezed out all the water and dried it. I think I might of even put it back in the microwave a couple of time just on a dish to steam the dampness out and then let it air dry overnight.

When I tried the cotton again I couldn't believe the difference, all the issues were gone! And then I realised that having to much flavour in my juice can also give me a similar harsh throat.

Just try one ball

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
You were dripping 12mg on a .3 setup. I was going to make an inappropriate reference to you being more of a man than me then noticed your post tag of "I'm a chick".... Anyways I'll drip 12 on a single coil at 1.5-2.0 but anything sub or dual coil chucks way to much for me to handle 12, so I'd agree on trying something lighter for that set up. Also on the drip tip I find the length can make as much difference as the bore size. I've got a tip that's about twice the length of a pro tank drip (for comparison) and anytime I've got something harsh or way to hot it makes a huge difference. All that being said it's a nice looking setup, hope it works well for you soon.

illitirit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
United States
one thing you can try..

So the other day just for fun i decided to slant my coils diagonally. Im sure right now you have your airholes lined up directly with your coil, which is what I do usually. But after i slanted my coils, my throat hit went down like crazy. I usually vape 3.5mg on my dripper @ 0.35 ohm dual coil. But after I slanted my coils, it felt like I was hitting 0.5mg nicotine liquid. I did not notice any less vapor production.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
one thing you can try..

So the other day just for fun i decided to slant my coils diagonally. Im sure right now you have your airholes lined up directly with your coil, which is what I do usually. But after i slanted my coils, my throat hit went down like crazy. I usually vape 3.5mg on my dripper @ 0.35 ohm dual coil. But after I slanted my coils, it felt like I was hitting 0.5mg nicotine liquid. I did not notice any less vapor production.

thank you guys for all your suggestions. i really appreciate the help. the first coil i put in the M was a slanted coil but it was solo. i know how to slant them so i will try that setup next with lower nic.

when i take my drippers to the local vape shop they can't vape my high nic no matter what ohm coil. lol bunch of wusses ;-) they drip about 2-6 mg. they do get tons of vapor out of their low ohm devices and don't complain about the throat hit, so i'm going to take all these great suggestion and keep plugging away at it.

i don't have an long DT's, but i think i can try one out in the local shop and see if that makes a diff also. I have tried it with eko wool or cotton, but i will try boiling the cotton again.

also a good tip about flavors causing throat hit. i make my flavors pretty mild though. forever tweaking the long lost RY4.

thank you so much!

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
Another thing that helps besides lowering nicotine, going 100 VG and using a more comfortable tip to go with your vape at lower sub-ohms is to NOT place the tip in the center of your mouth but on the sides. Plus dual coil anything is going to be hotter and harsher, no matter if you're using an RDA or RBA or even a cheap little plastic tank on a cheap vape pen, then anything single coil.

thank you! i will try that also. i had to stop and think where i place my dt. on the side is cooler on my phoenix that i tried just now. i really love my original phoenix clones. great flavor, easy coil. i need some larger air holes, but my husband's smallest drill bit made a hole so huge i had to slide a carto condom over the barrel to adjust the airflow. the guys at the vape shop can drill me proper holes.

when all is said and done, i just may not like dual coils. solo at 1.5 and 18 watts is a nice smooth vape for me, no matter what nic I use. Of all the RDA's i looked at recently online, the M looked like an easy build. The only other one with real estate on the deck to not fumble that i saw was the v1 Origen.

does anyone know if i can do a solo coil in an origen? i like the deep juice wells. On my phoenix's i put about 11 drops and can vape quite awhile. the well is deep rather than just a flat deck like many new drippers out there.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
Cool-breeze was right about the longer DT helping with harshness since the tip doesn't get as hot and the vapor feels cooler, but you do have to suck or inhale harder, with a lot of them unless you can find a long one with a wide bore, I haven't been able to find one yet in any of the B&Ms near me, DTs with insulators would help with keeping the tip getting as hot and slightly cool down the vape, what I was told from my local shops, I just haven't tried it yet. Most shops can drill your holes, but just remember you can always drill bigger after, but can't reverse a larger hole. As for people in your local Vape shop, most people drip low nic when dripping at low sub-ohms dual coil setups, around me the most popular level is 3 mg and is mostly sold out. Plus if you dripping every 2-3 drags 4-5+ secs, you go through nic a lot faster than if you weren't dripping, I notice most people are doing 0-8 mg some at 12 mg. I can handle 36 mg on a tank but dripping at .18-2.0 Ohms on a dual coil RDA 3 feels comfortable, and I get my nic fix and I normally would vape 24-36 mg with a tank, but after dripping, not long after I use only 8 mg in a tank. One reason some people drip too is to decrease nic levels, but still get a warm-hot vape with a throat hit, and for chasing clouds it's long slow draws so high nicotine would make a lot of people cough and choke. But, if you need a higher nic level and can handle it with low sub-ohms on a dual coil, then you have an iron throat, unlike a lot of people.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
thank you tayone. yes i have decreased my nic down to about 6. turns out i have a bad case of bronchitis right now, so the Igo-M is on the shelf. still can't get that thing to build right. even straight no nic VG isn't vaping right. Could be a clone malfunction in the design. I got it from FT. I'll drop it off at the local vape shop for them to play around with as soon as i'm sure i'm not contagious. feel like typhoid mary at the moment lol

Cool-breeze was right about the longer DT helping with harshness since the tip doesn't get as hot and the vapor feels cooler, but you do have to suck or inhale harder, with a lot of them unless you can find a long one with a wide bore, I haven't been able to find one yet in any of the B&Ms near me, DTs with insulators would help with keeping the tip getting as hot and slightly cool down the vape, what I was told from my local shops, I just haven't tried it yet. Most shops can drill your holes, but just remember you can always drill bigger after, but can't reverse a larger hole. As for people in your local Vape shop, most people drip low nic when dripping at low sub-ohms dual coil setups, around me the most popular level is 3 mg and is mostly sold out. Plus if you dripping every 2-3 drags 4-5+ secs, you go through nic a lot faster than if you weren't dripping, I notice most people are doing 0-8 mg some at 12 mg. I can handle 36 mg on a tank but dripping at .18-2.0 Ohms on a dual coil RDA 3 feels comfortable, and I get my nic fix and I normally would vape 24-36 mg with a tank, but after dripping, not long after I use only 8 mg in a tank. One reason some people drip too is to decrease nic levels, but still get a warm-hot vape with a throat hit, and for chasing clouds it's long slow draws so high nicotine would make a lot of people cough and choke. But, if you need a higher nic level and can handle it with low sub-ohms on a dual coil, then you have an iron throat, unlike a lot of people.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
thank you tayone. yes i have decreased my nic down to about 6. turns out i have a bad case of bronchitis right now, so the Igo-M is on the shelf. still can't get that thing to build right. even straight no nic VG isn't vaping right. Could be a clone malfunction in the design. I got it from FT. I'll drop it off at the local vape shop for them to play around with as soon as i'm sure i'm not contagious. feel like typhoid mary at the moment lol

You're welcome, and I don't have any experience with the igo-m, but if it's anything like the igo-w5 that I was looking into I heard that it is only good for quad builds and duals don't work well with it and gives it a bad draw. Could be too much airflow for your build, since you need the right amount of air and heat, if you haven't already tested different AFC settings. What coil build setup are you on?

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
I'm new to this. My 2nd try with 24g A-1 > 5 wraps > .3 ohm dual on my Igo-M. Using a sony 30amp battery. Got some knurled thumb screws from Fatdaddyvapes.com and now it's heating up fine versus the stock screws. I seasoned the coils by heating and squeezing. No hot spots on the coils.

View attachment 336199

They fire right up, but the throat hit is too harsh for more than about a second vape. I do like a nice smooth vapor, but not too long a pull to get it and that's why i wanted to try dual coils.

I mixed my juice 90 vg/10pg to smooth it out, but it's still harsh. Plenty of vapor, but scratchy throat. Also I don't taste any cotton, but could i still have too much? would too much cotton cause a bad TH?

thx guys! i really want to perfect my vape. I don't even care about low ohms, but i did want to try dual coils since i have room for them on my 22mm Igo-M. Before this i've only rolled single coils in my phoenix's.

thank you

You've got two problems, both coming from the bottom coil in your pic. First is that coil has 6 wraps not 5. Second is the first wrap on the left side of the coil is overlapping the second wrap. Fix these two things and you should be golden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread